“A great way to see Roatan” 5 of 5 bubbles

Owner description: Horseback riding tours
Milan, Italy
134 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 267 helpful votes
“A great way to see Roatan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked the ride and swim at West Bay in advance and all went smoothly. The information emailed beforehand were perfect and we found the taxi waiting for us outside the port without any problem. The 20 minutes drive is very scenic and easy. The horses were very tame. The first part of the ride is on the road where cars drive but there is little traffic so it is not scary. You reach West End beach and ride along the beach which is great. Afterwards, you take a little alley and in next to no time you are riding under the mangrove trees! After the ride the taxi was waiting for us and took us to West Bay. I am sure it is a nice beach but it was overcrowded with tourists (there were several cruise ships in port that day) and vendors so we totally disliked it. We are already planning a longer holiday in Roatan and we will surely ride again with Barrio Dorcas.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank colbuck

Raleigh, North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Nice tour on horeseback.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We booked a horseback ride for our stop in Roatan while on a cruise. Our tour guide was Roosmarie. The ride itself took us through neighborhoods, down through the little town and along the shore. It was a very beautiful ride. Roosmarie was a good guide- pointing out different animals, plants, etc. I wish there would have been a little bit more about the background of the city, fun facts about the culture, etc. The ride itself was much longer than I was aniticipating. I think this was, in part, because several of the roads were closed. However, it left us less time to explore on our own after the tour was over. There were plenty of picuture opportunities and I would recommend this to others who don't have any riding experience as my husband and I didn't really have any prior experience. It is a neat way to see the town.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank jcadeeb
chicago
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked this horseback ride and was so exicted because 5 years ago, on our first dating anniversary we did horseback riding in the US, and this was our 1st wedding anniversay!
I had emailed Roosmarie and got the reservation all set up thru her, she was so helpful and explained everything perfectly.
We arrived via Carnival Cruise into Mahoganey Bay, which is just beautiful by the way. We met our driver, her name was Theris, she was extremely nice, and she had her little boy named Enry with her, and he was just the sweetest lil guy!!! She drove us to the ranch, which then we met with our guide, Shirkie, he was so knowledgeable and very nice! the horses we were on were BEAUTIFUL.
We started off walking thru this jungle type swamp? Im not sure exactly what it would be called, but there were all these holes in the mud with crabs in them...it was pretty cool to see!
Then we took a stroll thru the town, and down by the beach. I have to tell you that people in that town were extremeply nice, everyone was waving as we trotted along. Along the way Shirkie told us all about the town, how his family owns land, and showed us where he grew up.
After the ride, we were driven to the beach, which was crystal clear water and white soft sand. it was very nice! We stayed there for about an hour and then drove back to the port to do some shopping.
It was a lovely experience and I highly recommened this excurson to anyone!
Only downfall was I didnt get the chance to meet Roosmarie!! :( But maybe next time, becuase we will definetly be back!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank loramarie1025
new york
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“RUDE owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Be careful with this place, make sure if you go that you do not get "Sharkey" as your guide. He is very rude and condescending, he's also the owner so you have no recourse if you do end up with him and have a terrible experience, like we did.
My family went for a horseback ride today, expecting a beach ride and what we ended up with was 90% muddy streets with traffic and 10% beach and random residential back roads. The worst part wasn't the not as advertised route, it was the guide's attitude. When it was explained that we'd never been riding before, he didn't bother to thoughtfully explain how to direct the horses, and when I had some trouble getting mine to do what I thought I had been instructed to command her to do he was incredibly rude. I was at least 10 feet back from him and he was calling our directions to me that were quite garbled and when I asked him to repeat it because I couldn't understand what he was saying he sniped at me that he "was speaking English". I should have stopped the ride then but did not, as it was our son's 9th birthday and he really wanted to ride a horse that day. I let it continue and it was more of the same throughout the entire ride, my horse wouldn't follow commands, he would yell something condescending in my general direction, most of it unintelligible. Finally I just got off and walked the rest of the way back. It wasn't worth it to try to risk my life and the life of the horse, trying to dodge motorcycles and cabs.
So, when you call to book this place, please tell RoseMarie you would strongly prefer a different guide, one with a whole lot more patience.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank lesliemjensen
Tulsa, Oklahoma
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great ride!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

While in Roatan we went horseback riding through El Rancho Barrio Dorcas. It was absolutely wonderful. We went riding through the jungle as well as along the beach. It was just my daughter and myself on the ride. The guide was friendly and helpful and I was riding probably the best "rental" horse I have ever had in 40 years of riding. Would highly recommend!

Visited May 2012