“Return Visit Better Than the First”
Review of Half Moon Resort

Half Moon Resort
Ranked #32 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Edson, Canada
“Return Visit Better Than the First”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

May 10-17 I returned to Roatan and once again stayed at Half Moon Resort. It was a last minute trip, and lucky for me they had one room left. Once again the correspondence via email was quick and they again arranged my transportation from the airport. The main reason I say my second visit was better is there were less cruisers on the island, and the resort was awesome without the extra day trippers there. Rene and his sister were very friendly and helpful, they had some family visiting and it was a great experience to meet them, and get to do a few things with them. The snorkeling once again was great off the resort, and twice I went out with Marvin Rosailies on snorkel excursions and he is awesome. I highly recommend him. The food is great, I found the prices very reasonable, and the staff and service courteous. the resort is small and any room is a one minute or less walk to the water. This time I was in room 12 which is the furthest from the water entry, but it has a private deck, bonus, and the bathroom in room twelve was much more modern than the one in # 3. We already have reservations for December and that is too far away, I only hope I can get in another visit before then.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We just got back from an amazing five day vacation in Roatan. We stayed at Half Moon, which was perfect and just what we were looking for. If you are looking for the Ritz, this place isn't it. A lot of people commented that Half Moon is 'rustic' - it is. There are no TVs, the bathrooms are not well insulated, and there are ants - this is an island, and if you want to feel like you are camping on the beach, stay here!! The beds are comfy, the AC works, the sheets are clean, the views are great, and the staff are amazing. Oh, and bring your bug spray - the sand fleas are everywhere on the island, especially at dusk. The West Bay beaches were prettier than West End, but also way more touristy. (If you are looking for the Ritz, head to West Bay) We loved being on the West End, and we absolutely loved our stay at Half Moon. And we got 10% off our stay when we booked with Ecodivers, who were right next door. It was great to be able to roll out of bed and be at our dive site without having to trek anywhere.

Room Tip: We had a room right next to the restaurant/bar area. We were worried it might be loud, but we had n...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris C
New orleans
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We had an amazing time. The rooms are simple, but for the price you really really really can't beat it. The staff was UNbelievably nice and helpful with whatever you needed. The location was awesome. The water is RIGHT outside your door. Looks as clear as a swimming pool. The have a kayak for your use (free) whenever you like day or night, same with snorkel gear as well.

The view in the morning and night is unreal at the point. You walk through a little path and look up at night and it's literally like being in a planetarium. Stars EVERYwhere. The people around town were SO nice too. I was so so so SO happy I went and I will be back. I got back a few days ago and felt compelled to write a review (I never have :)

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Jeffosun
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I had a fabulous time at Half Moon! In my humble opinion, one of the best locations in West End. It is at the end of the bay with easy walking distance to town. But it is quieter (which I prefer) with stunning views. Service was wonderful. All staff were helpful and accommodating. Food service was lovely and the outdoor cabana dining area had an incredible view of the water and distant lights in the evening. The fantastic reef is right down the stairs and you can take off snorkeling without having to go anywhere! I had a mishap my 4th day there (broke my foot ughhh!) and every single person there offered to help me at any time. Thanks to Shawn, Anthony, Sherry, Angela and many many more wonderful people too many to name here. Given that I was traveling alone, this made such a difference to me and I was able to stay for the duration despite my handicap. The cabins are not fancy but very very comfortable with private bath. They all come with free air conditioning; don't let anyone tell you that you will not require it! It makes all the difference! I travel on a budget, so the very reasonable lower pricing made this feasible for me. Why stay anywhere else in West End?! (Photos to follow later!)

Room Tip: I stayed in a beach front Cabin #1. Loved it! Two queen beds and private bath with deck next facing...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Half Moon Resort was beyond perfect! Right away we were greeted by the friendly family and staff, who went out of their way every day to ensure we were having a great stay. They made us feel right at home!

We stayed in a waterfront cabin, which had 2 beds, Air conditioner and a private bathroom. The rooms are comfortable and exceptionally clean- they cleaned the rooms and provided new towels and water daily. The resort itself is located on the quiet side of West End, which allows you to escape the crowds but is just minutes’ walk from the main strip. We enjoyed the food at the restaurant which is located right at the Resort. They also have free snorkel gear for guests to use and are located in one of the best snorkel spots in Roatan. I highly recommend Half Moon Bay- the wooden cabin-like rooms are very comfortable, and add to the experience offering a unique place to stay that’s memorable. Thank you to Rene and all staff at Half Moon Bay for making our trip so enjoyable. I will be back soon!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kayla B
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband and I used Trip Advisor to help us plan our week long vacation to Roatan. We decided to go with low expectations and were very pleased with our selection. We did not want to do an all inclusive and also wanted to save money for diving and sailing. Half Moon Bay is at the end of West End nestled back along the coral reef. It is in walking distance to all of West End where you will find small grocery stores, dive shops, gift shops, and restaurants. The Half Moon Bay restaurant is good as well. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Our rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels and sheets. We had 2 queen beds, a shower, toilet, sink, and air conditioner. I saw another post state that if you are looking for luxury, this is not the place for you. Think a step up from camping. The windows only have screens with wood shutters. The only time we were in our room was to change or sleep, so when we got back we would shut the shutters and turn on the AC. It was cooled down in a matter of minutes. We could hear some talking and other noises from the next room, but we only laughed about it. If you go note that the busy season is from Nov-April. April has a lot of jellyfish. June and July are their slowest times (which is more our kind of vacation). We also highly recommend West End Divers - very professional dive instructors and the cost was very reasonable. For breakfast, there are many places to eat, but look for Lisa walking around starting at 8:15 with tupperware of fresh baked goods and breakfast sandwiches. Lily pond was and Argentiana were also some of our favorites. Argentiana has a grill. Sundowners is by far the best bar and place to meet "local" Americans that have moved there. Bring extra sunscreen and bug spray, no need to pack anything but swimsuits and cover ups. We brought way too much stuff! Have a fantastic time!

Room Tip: We were in #4 and it was very nice. Stepping off the porch leads you right to water where there is...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cindy M
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We had an absolutely fantastic time at Half Moon! It's a perfect location, just off the main strip in Half Moon Bay. The cabins are cute and right on the water. When we weren't diving, we would wake up in the morning, lay in the hammocks, have a coffee and enjoy the beautiful scenery. The staff was absolutely amazing and went above and beyond for us. We can't say enough good things about our stay and hope to return soon. Thank you Rene and the rest of the staff for helping to make our trip to Roatan unforgettable!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends