“So Rustic and Relaxing”
Review of Half Moon Resort

Half Moon Resort
Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My daughter and I spent last week in Roatan at Half Moon Resort in the west end.
I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It is very private and a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the main road. Half Moon sits right on the beautiful, clear water literally a few steps from our front door. Snorkeling was awesome right off the shore, no need to book any snorkeling trips what-so-ever!
Our little beach cabin was everything we needed, 2 big beds, hot water, air, a fridge and, to our delight, no tv! There was also a big front porch with a hammock which I used everyday.
The brother and sister who run the hotel, Matilde and Rene, were so accommodating and fun.
They have a restaurant right over the water with great food and the ceviche is to die for!
Just a few minutes walk down the main road brings you to lots of restaurants, shops, bars and dive shops.
All in all it was a super great trip and I will certainly go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 which was really great but I will just ask for a room on the water next time I g...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank gypsytoes

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We would absolutely stay here again!
It was just what we were looking for!
Now understand it is a no frills place, but our room had AC and the restaurant had wifi and a tv. We were steps from the water and great snorkeling! There in no pool but hello the ocean is right there!
Be aware here and most places build in a gratuity to the bill so tip extra to the people you feel deserve it!
The owners were always on site and were very friendly. We felt very welcome.
They did get new lounge chairs while we were there and they were needed. Very nice!
All of the food and service was very good except one evening (server was distracted by another table she knew and the steak was overdone and not very edible-but it is an island so the seafood was excellent!)! Try the coconut grouper YUM!
Try walking down to the point for sunset, it was fabulous!!!

All in all an amazing place and we WILL be back for sure!!!
Thank you for an excellent experience!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara H
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Roatan has always been a perfect vacation destination, and staying at the Half Moon Resort just made my vacation outstanding... It has comfortable rooms to relax and enjoy nature, hammocks outside the cabins that make the experience of napping by the ocean priceless, friendly staff that helped me and assisted during the entire week with a smile... This hotel has the best food in the area I LOVE IT! Great location, I walked to the bars in West End... BEAUTIFUL views... Overall my experience in this hotel was unbelievable I had the best time, the owners were great and personally invited me to visit them next year, and I CAN'T WAIT...
I Totally recommend Half Moon Resort!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Monicaiznaya
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Lovely location - location location, location! but....Accommodations are not kept up, getting run down furniture inside the cabins and chaise lounge chairs outside in bad repair and need replacing. Needs an injection of investment capitol to maintain/fix the place up.
Fabulous staff - very friendly and helpful to myself and my family. We enjoyed some reasonably good food in the restaurant (only one bad meal during our stay). Unfortunately the owner (who I was not aware was the owner because he was one of many who took tip money from me during our stay while we were staying there for five days handed me an invoice at the end and added a built in cost for gratuities! There are similar reasonably priced accommodations in the area that are in better shape and the owner won't rip you off when you check out!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank traceyc23
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night while we were off resort and exploring. We showed up mid afternoon looking for a room for 4 overnight. It was the beginning of spring break so the island was packed but we ended up getting a room that technically we should only have had 3 people in. When I say rustic I mean see through the floorboards while you're in the bathroom but there's beds and a/c. The view of the beach and ocean is definitely the highlight of the place. You can order food or drinks and sit. Just gorgeous! Also a place to swim!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank zhayes
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our absolute favorite restaurant! Coconut shrimp, coconut grouper, pepper steak are all wonderful and incredibly fresh! Huge portions could be shared! Great view! Great service - always!
I have not stayed at the resort but the property is amazing!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 3Melissa52
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We spent a week at Half Moon Resort in West End, Roatan and loved it. Mind you this is not 5 star accommodations but it was exactly what we wanted. Rene and Mathilde (son & daughter of owner) were wonderful, the whole staff would do anything to make our stay great. Expect a clean room, working AC, hot showers and a hammock on your deck. You can walk to great food, bars & diving. You can snorkel right from the resort. There is a great old sailboat anchored off the resort with a rope swing off the tilted mast. We walked to West Bay along the shore one day. Had lunch in West Bay and then sunned and swam at the beach. Time to go back, wife and I took a water taxi for $6, daughter and friend (both 19 yr old girls) walked back by themselves. No problems of any kind. It is not recommended to take that walk at night but very safe during the day. The girls went back to West Bay on a different day by themselves and we had no worried, just told them to meet us at Tita's by 5. We ate food from several of the evening street vendors and loved it all. I know that you will be warned not to eat salad and things like that but we had no problems. We had fruit and cinnamon rolls for breakfast 2 of the days. You can buy a watermelon from a street vendor and keep it in your room overnight, it will be chilled by morning. We borrowed a knife from the restaurant and sliced it into quarters on the table on our deck. Get the cinnamon rolls from Creole Rotisserie, they are great. be sure to get there soon after dark or they will be gone. Creole Rotisserie is also good for dinner, quarter chicken dinner for around $5. I had the burrito, great. One girl had the chicken quesadilla and it was so good we went back another night just for that. At them while walking to our favorite street taco vender, they are next to the Blue Channel Pizza place. You can get a beer at Half Moon for $2.50. You can get a beer at a store in town for $1.50. On our last day in town we saw a sign that said not to drink on the street because the police can fine you, we did not have that problem. We slept well, ate well, avoided most sunburn, and most bugs but you really do need bug spray. There's a lot more to tell but mostly you should go. You should feel safe walking the main street in West End at any time. Your kids should be safe too. Go! Stay at Half Moon Resort. Sleep well and relax.

Room Tip: The rooms on the water are smaller. We had a room with 3 double beds. It was elevated but you didn...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family