“Fantastic, friendly and fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Giralda

La Giralda
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Guanaja
George Town, Grand Cayman
“Fantastic, friendly and fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at La Giralda for just under a week and it was absolutely fantastic. The staff could not do more for you. James and Ian (two members of staff) made my day everyday with their lovely bright smiles and can do attitude. The staff were there to please and nothing seemed too much trouble. If you want drinks brought to you on your balcony, on the beach at the main house they were all too willing to help out. The food was delicious and the meals were made, where possible, with locally sourced ingredients. If there is something you don't like the chef will take this into account and adapt the menu accordingly. I loved having my breakfast on my balcony and the french toast was delicious. The wood fired pizza nights and bonfire on the beach nights were not to be missed. The views from the villas were stunning - we stayed in Villa Caterina and the balconies jutted out so far that it actually made it feel like you were on top of the water with the panoramic views - and one day a dolphin even swam past. The hotel staff will arrange excursions for you such as snorkel trips, waterfall walks and beach hopping.

I would highly reccommend this place to others. One thing is that there are sandflies on the beach so I would reccommend that you use a cream based repellent as the sprays tended to wash off in the sea.

There is a dolphin which was frequently behind the resort which is worth kayaking to see if it's still there.

The rooms were stunning and beautifully designed with classic Caribbean architecture. I loved the hammocks on the balconies as well as the wooden seats which swing from the roof. It was great sitting swinging on the chairs watching the stars at night and the waves splashing in during the day.

Really special place with very special staff!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CarolynAlisa

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

Honestly,this place should be kept a secret ! We just returned from an incredible five day visit to Guanaja. La Giralda was absolutely perfect ! We loved the snorkeling and kayaking. The resort is more than we could have imagined. It is truly what dreams are made of ! A little slice of paradise. Small, friendly, quiet, relaxing, peaceful, delicious food, clean, and just pure perfection.Thanks for the hospitality of America, Daniel, and James, also the ground keepers for keeping everything so neat and tidy. Also a special thank you to Lane ! We can't wait to return !!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DCannatelli
fort worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

The title should tell you.
I split my vacation between Roatan and Guanaja.
I found La Giralda Resort snooping around on Trip Advisor Honduras. I did not want to spend all my time in Roatan (ended up the 1st and last night of the vacation at the Paradise Oceanic Hotel) and decided that Guanaja appeared interesting.
I was not disappointed.
I flew the 2nd day of my vacation on SOSA Airlines from Roatan to La Ceiba, back to Roatan and then finally to Guanaja on a puddle jumper. It wasn't to bad on the way back- Guanaja to La Ceiba to Roatan. National Airlines- whats a person to do?
Isn't that what vacations are for- the unexpected?
Anyways, When I landed I was taken to the boat that would take me to the resort. The man taking me to the resort (sorry I forgot your name) was super nice. He was from the capital city and gave me a brief history of the country and the resort.
Here's a shout out to you for all the good conversation we had on the boat, on the veranda at night and at the soccer match (Thanks for inviting me).
We arrived at the resort, pulled up pierside and was greeted by the Director- Daniel O'Conner aka "Doc" of the resort and the head Cook- America. America, you're number #1 in my book for allowing me in your kitchen. As I stepped off the boat and was introduced, I was given a cold towel and a coconut filled with coconut water. I knew then and there it was going to be a great vacation.
They took me to the villa that I had requested and in turn was informed that since no-one else had reserved the villa it was all mine. Incredible.
After showing me how everything worked; lights, air-conditioning, and stereo I ent to the main house. Wha a sight to behold. Everything was unique. Doc gave me an explanation of how the resort came to be and how they were going to expand the resort.
After settling in, there was a knock on the door and I was brought a cooler that was filled with the national beer- Salva Vida, old style bottled coke and the national soft drink I presume- Tropical. Excellent.
Later on, another knock on the door and there was my evening meal. Wow. Didn't expect that. Needless to say it was fantastic. Did I fail to mention tha with the room price the meals were included. Can't go wrong with that.
Enjoyable as it was I ended up having my breakfast and dinner up at the "casa grande" the rest of my stay there.
I wanted to interact with "doc" the parrots, and the rest of his staff.
Initially I had planned to just 'veg" and relax but I ended up going bone-fishing 1 day. Doc arranged arranged a bone fishing trip for me with alocal guide that the resot uses- Graham Cassidy.
Had an excellent time with "Cassidy". We stopped by his home to secure a fly pole for me. He taught me how to properly cast and fish. Not only did we catch bone fish but also caught barracuda and stopped on the way back at Grahams Place to have a beer and chat with the locales and people staying there. Excellent time.
The remaining days were blissfull.
I went to a soccer match. First time ever. The resort had sponsered a team from the island. They were to play another island/caye team. I at first did not want to go, but realized that it was a chance of a lifetime to see a live soccer match. So glad that I did.
This is footnote to the trip that stands out.
When I arrived on the island I asked at the airport if they had postcards. I still like to send snail mail when on vacation. The woman asked me how many I wanted and she said that they would be delivered to the hotel.
Wow, was I impressed. I received 10 postcards and quickly wrote to my collegues my experiences. Doc took the postcards and said he would mail them when he got back to the capital. Talk about going the extra mile. Bravo Zulu!!
I can continue on and on but I just want to say that from "Doc" on down to the rest of his staff, you made my travels a memory that will last a lifetime. Never haver I been treated/pampered so well.
Hopefully people will read th review (you to Lane) and realize what a gem the staff and the resort are.

Room Tip: Every villa is excellent. Take your pick. You can't go wrong and I mean that.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank FortWorthJeffie
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

We recently travelled to La Giralda in Guanaha and had such and relaxing time. This is a great place to visit. The food and the service was incredible. The rooms were spacious and had wonderful views of the ocean. Special thanks to America and James for all their efforts. Thank you to Daniel and Lane for their hospitality. We will be back!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gino S
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

Thanks to the generous hospitality of Dna America, Daniel and Jorge my wife and I had a tremendously relaxing one-week vacation at La Giralda.

The staff all seemed genuinely interested in ensuring my wife and I enjoyed every moment of the trip. Your vacation is completely designed to your personal preferences/interests, allowing every guest to feel as though their all-inclusive experience is something that no one else could duplicate. From our first night when we took a short boat trip across the bay to a German bar for a local birthday celebration to our last evening capped off by a private rum/cigar tasting, custom cooking class and beachside bonfire - the experience was tremendous... and best of all, quite thoughtful. Other highlights of our trip included: scuba diving (amazing!), hiking to "the waterfall" on the north (leeward) shore, boat day trips to Bonacca and a tiny island resort for local fisherman (with it's own bar and tiny open-water aquarium).

In speaking with the management at La Giralda, there are plans to expand the property to include a several new 1-BR villas which will decrease the likelihood of you having the entire resort to yourself (as my wife and I were fortunate enough to experience), but this will not likely impact the amazingly private experience that a trip to La Giralda is.

Calling it what it is - Guanaja isn't for everyone; it's not all that easy to get to, there is next to no "nightlife" to be found - and all travel is by boat for all intents and purposes. But with that in mind come all the joys that a vacation as such includes - seclusion, privacy, an opportunity for a truly unique vacation experience that only few other places afford, and the chance to get to know some humble, friendly people that define the people of Guanaja and the support staff at La Giralda.

Really hope to get back there again before too much longer...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gt_rmac
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful time at La Giralda, we spent a few days there and I can't stop thinking how to plan to go back sooner.
The service was outstanding food as well .... it is hard to describe because I will need a few pages to go on and on.... it is a must go place.
We were so well taken care of and all was so well planed and everybody was friendly and very helpful....we miss you all !!!!!!!!
Great job everybody, definitely will talk to all my friends and family about you and also will visit you again in the near future.
The best place to be pampered and also to relax and have a good time.
Daniel you are the best!!!!!!!!!!
Lucia and Paul.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kaypolino
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

I spent several days at La Giralda and had nothing short of a wonderful time. The food is out standing and the cooks flexible, my Vegan diet was not only catered for but was done so with enthusiasm spawning novel, healthy and very tasty meals. The rooms are generously furnished, clean and spacious and the staff efficient and helpful.

Highly recommended, next time I'm in Guanaja I look forward to another visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guanaja
Graham's Place
Graham's Place
#2 of 5 in Guanaja
Coral View Beach Resort
Roland's Garden Guesthouse
Guanaja Caribbean Cottages Resort

Been to La Giralda? Share your experiences!