“I love this place!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bay Islands
Plantation Beach Resort
Ranked #52 of 57 Hotels in Bay Islands
Fort Pierce, Florida
“I love this place!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was my 2nd time at Plantation Beach Resort in 4 months. Words can’t adequately describe my time in Cayos Cochinos, and I can’t tell you how extremely grateful I am for the experiences I am lucky enough to have had. During 15 dives, I saw things I can only describe as magical. Swimming with schools of Blue Tang, watching in astonishment as the bioluminescence and pearls turned the dark ni
ght ocean into an entrancing scene as if something right out of Disney, while bolts of lightning lit up the reef in the darkness, seeing a sunken airplane, watching a gorgeous sea turtle resting in the reef, living through a gang of 7 barracuda LOL, seeing an 8 foot nurse shark swim by from the boat and diving in to find it, (yes, I did that…I know…it’s still unbelievable to me, too), visiting a little with the local octopus I now call Frank, surrounded by his garden of shells, and diving off the boat into the bluest waters I’ve ever seen, were only a few of the amazing things that I will always remember and think of on days that are less than fantastic. I so loved getting my animal fix with Rocky and Jaxx, too. But the time spent with some of the best people I know, on one of the most beautiful places on earth, with great conversations, billions of laughs, underwater adventures, hiking, and catching up will be with me forever. A piece of me will always remain in Cayos. Some tears may have been shed LOL. Some apologies may need to be made to Joe for having to put up with the tears all day long on the trip back. Ha! I’m such a baby. Although it’ll take me a few days to adjust back into reality, I will have a smile on my face each time I think of my time there. I’m so appreciative for my life, adventures, friends and family. WHAT A LIFE! Oscar, thanks for a safe ride and a great tour! Maralena, it was great to meet you. Julie, you’re a trip! Edith, you rock. I will miss you! Danny, I love you, my friend. You’ll always be a part of my family, too. Roger, thank you for everything. And Nito, take care, my friend. I will miss you. Special thanks to Danny, Samuel, and Joseph for making it an incredible week.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Aimee R

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
mpls
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband Bob and myself just returned from 2 weeks at Plantation beach and we couldn't be happier with our vacation. While it is true that PBR has a rustic feel to it, for me that made it all the more injoyable-it felt like a real adventure and very remote from all the troubles of the world. .THe staff at PBR and the outstanding/amazing pristine reefs and sea life make it an unforgettable experience. We were treated like family and found the dive masters (thank you Joe and Sam-you guys are amazing !) and boat captain Danny to be very attentive and safe. I can't believe the previous reviews about the dive masters not caring. Preposterous!THis is my 4th time(but not my last time) down to PBR. I appreciate a little freedom as I am an experienced diver but always felt they were keeping an eye on me. The food was plentiful and basic good honduran fare.- remember it is an island and all things have to be boated in and having said that, I thought the food filling and good overall. The greatest thing however was 2 night dives we did. I had never seen bio luminosities under water before-man was it sweet.! LIke floating around in the cosmos. I rate this experience as one of the highlights of my diving career. Thanks for taking us again S,J and D!
This place IS remote and I so prefer it over Roatan. The reefs are so well kept here as it is a protected area and really it is so refreshing not to be running into other boats and divers as is so common with bigger places.
GREAT VALUE......

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank barbara f
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I had a great time on Cayos Cochinos at PBR. I did a lot of really great, really fun dives, especially enjoyed the best night dive I've had here (lots of huge lobsters, a gigantic porcupine fish, frog fish, several octopus... I could go on). Joe and Emily are both great divers and great company and took good care of me during my week long stay here. Lots of fun!

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Laura B
Michigan City, Indiana
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The experience that my friends and i (and other guests) had here were quite disapointing on multiple different levels. The rooms and main lobby need updating. Some of the wood on the docks were rotted. There were nails sticking up out of boards on the main dock (which i steped on). The main diving boat wasnt working (although promised by Roger), the dive equipment all needs updating. There were only a few torn up wet suit options. Also, there is practically no where to just sit and lounge around the resort (except on a few hammocks). The 3 chairs on the main dock were all broken! And in the 3 best beach rooms right up the hill, there were only 2 chairs for all 3 rooms? weird.
The food was basically the same thing every meal. Rice, Beans, Plantains and some sort of overcooked meat. A few times we would have like to have some more food, but that is not an option because it is served buffet style. Same dessert every night.
The diving is amazing, but the divemaster and instructor were very unprofessional. The instructor was more busy taking pictures than focusing on other divers safety or even pointing out interesting critters that he was taking pictures of. The dive plans and briefings were minimal if any. Often times it was unclear where the divemaster or instructor were during multiple dives we were on. It was quite frustrating. Completely different than the experience we had on Roatan. i was never asked how much air i had on any dive.
So if you come to dive here, i would recommend bringing your own dive computer to ensure your own safety, as clearly the DM's arent too concerned about it. Also bring your own gear.

It seems very clear that the owner or main manager of PBR dont care too about it anymore, and it really is too bad. It has so much potential to be an awesome place, and judging from what my friends said (who were there one year earlier and back as repeat customers) it has changed completely. We all decided we would probably never go back there unless major changes happened, especially for how expensive it is.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank joe b
CayosCochinos, General Manager at Plantation Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Yes, at least it was a good week of diving:)

Otherwise Murphy's Law had it's say. The primary dive boat was finally put back in service in June, dock repairs made and other issues addressed as well.

The owner and manager and our staff DO care very much and it pains us to have a single guest go away dis-appointed. We have our ups and downs being on a remote island and we continue to do the best we can with what we have to provide a unique, pristine and private getaway for divers and non divers alike.
London, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2012

=This was our first trip to Honduras so we didn't know what to expect. We prayed and asked God to show us all the beauty in this country, and He sure did. We did not plan to go to Cayos Cochinos but when the opportunity was given to us we went for it.
We took the boat from Sambo Creek and it cost us $60 each ( I think). When we pulled up to the dock, we thought we had died and gone to heaven! It was so beautiful.....crystal clear water, palm trees swaying, rustic cabins, bridges, creeks, wild flowers, and birds.
Our room was at the very end of the row and had a king size bed, and panaromic bathroom (like a sunroom with shutters, with the shower overlooking the bay to oneside and the jungle to the other) sounds weird but was very private and a cool experience. (water was cool too but we didn't care).
The room was clean and comfortable complete with two gechos to keep us company.
We spent most of our days just snorkeling at the beach and we saw lots of different fish; we were first timers, so it was pretty exciting for us.
The sunsets were amazing. This island felt secluded, peaceful, relaxing, romantic and rustic all at the same time and this turned into one of the highlights of our Honduras adventure!
Now on the down side - this is not a luxury resort....more like camping. The food was delicious but not plentiful; if you are a guy like my husband you should bring some of your own snacks. The rooms could use a little update but are clean, which is the main thing.
If you want to see God's real beauty in Honduras than this is the place! If you want luxury and pampering you should find somewhere else to go.
I'm sure the scuba diving would be great too, but unfortunately we couldn't try it because of health reasons....maybe on our next trip.

Room Tip: Try the panaromic shower and king size bed at the very end of the row at the jungles edge.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Arlene-Rick
san jose
Reviewed April 8, 2012

great place, incredible weather, fun diving, exelent food, good music, relaxing hammacs, wonderful service/staff, charming people, fantastic atmosphere all in one island!
what more could you ask for?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pajarito a
Michigan
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Six of us, three couples spent a week at Plantation Beach Resort, We are divers first and hikers and Beach lovers, etc next.

First thing I would like to say is that the people that make the resort go, are fabulous. The dive masters, cooks and other general staff. They work hard to make your stay a good as it can be.

The diving was pretty good, not too much different then diving other places around the Bay
Islands.

Free internet in the bar.

The resort is getting pretty run down though, the rooms are in need of a serious update. This stuff was not a big deal for me because we were there for the diving and don't spend a lot of time in the room.

The food is nothing spectacular but will get you through, hope you like beans and rice because you will get it twice a day. Desserts were fabulous.

You are in the edge of a small jungle expect bugs big and small. Bring repellant.

The biggest area of concern, there is no security on the resort. When you check in we were asked to put all of our cash and passports in the hotel safe and I am very glad we did. When it's time for diner the cooks ring a diner bell and that also tells the thieves it's all clear to steal stuff out of your room. We lost an iPad and $30, our friends lost a small camera and a backpack and a few odds and ends that were in the back pack. I feel pretty fortunate that was all that was taken it could have been so much worse. I was dumb and left my room unlocked but in our friends case they went through a window after removing the screen.
The staff response was empathic but it didn't seem like any chance of catching the thieves.

The last concern is the boat that gets you there, it's small and you have to make a 90 minute crossing from La Cieba to Cayos where the resort is. Plan to get wet, wear appropriate clothes and pack your stuff with this in mind. Not everyone got wet on our trip but we had fairly calm seas but you should plan to get soaked and hope for the best.

In summary, I think your tourist dollar can be better spent elsewhere. It is a beautiful setting with small islands in the distance and of course beautiful blue Caribbean water. I just think with the lack of security and the condition of the place you can do better for the same money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends