“cute bungalow in the jungle!”

Hotel Jaguar Inn Tikal
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“cute bungalow in the jungle!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We loved staying in the Jaguar Inn for 2 nights while we visited Tikal. It is really great for a jungle lodge. The food was amazing! You are so close to the ruins, and they had a good guide that took us on a Sunrise hike. I would recommend planning on having a day and a half to check out the ruins if you are in shape and gungho.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Jaguar Inn. The only plus of the hotel is its location, as the rooms are quite basic and definitively not a good value for the price you pay... but is the least expensive option to be close to the ruins and after all, we came to Tikal to enjoy it in full, so we were happy with what we got. They cut electricity late in the night, so the fan stopped working, which in the hot and humid jungle environment was almost a torture. It was also a problem when you had to wake up at 3:30 for the sun-rise tour and had to look for a torch in the dark. Breakfast is not included, and the options expensive and average in taste. During the day there were some nice birds and wild animals roaming in the premises of the hotel, so that is an extra plus if you stay with kids, as our son enjoyed them very much.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was there the last day of December 2012 and the 1st day of January. They had a wonderful New Years Eve party but sadly when I got there, I was so sleep deprived, I missed the party and that slept! That's how I ended 2012!

A wonderful hotel. Walking distance to the pyramids. Pricy but that's expected. If you'r going to spend time in Tikal, I HIGHLY recommend you just stay in the park, whether it be this hotel or the couple others right next to eachother. And what I loved the most about the room. I didn't see any mosquitos! Wasn't too fond of there not being any mosquito nests but I didn't feel worried there.

Room Tip: Any room is fine here! I'd just worry about getting a room before they get full, especially duri...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank loveatraveler
Tijuana, Mexico
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Staying here it's a little more expensive than staying in other places like El Remate or Flores but it is definitely worth it, specially if you wish to take the sunrise tour of Tikal. The rooms are very clean and elegant, and the food in the restaurant is very good. After a long day of walking in the park, there's a hammock waiting outside of each room, which is the best way to relax, just remember to bring bug spray.
If you're planning on taking the sunrise tour (which I strongly advice), you should definitely stay here, other places from Flores offer the same tour, but it's a long drive and once you're in the park, it's a long walk to the temple so there's a chance you might miss the sunrise, also, ask if Cesar will be giving the tour, he's the best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is one of the only three hotels inside Tikal National Park, and believe me you want to stay inside, because the drive in is a long one. This lodge has clean and comfortable cabana type rooms, or you can pitch a tent in the courtyard. We stayed in a cabana, and felt comfortable with the fan. No AC but that's not a huge deal, it is the jungle after all, and for as remote as this location is, the amenities are great. I'll never forget the moment I realized that I'm as far from reality as I can get and I am still doing emails :-).

The restaurant food was very good, super clean. The staff is SO friendly. We took the sunrise tour and our guide was knowledgeable and a real pleasure. He greeted us with coffee and cookies at our 4AM departure time. The sunrise tour was wonderful. A very long hike in the total darkness, a fairly strenuous climb up the stairs (in the dark) to the top of the Temple which will put you way up over the forest canopy. Then you sit there and listen as the animals wake up, sun rises. Things are so misty there that you should not expect the joy to be in the actual rising of the sun, but in listening to the jungle. It's more like a gradual illumination. We saw toucans flying all around, which you are not likely to see down at ground level. It's worth getting up, believe me. After the sunrise, your guide will take you around the ancient city, teach you TONS about the amazing designs that the Mayans were able to come up with, then you have a few more hours on your own to explore before the park opens for general admission.

Fantastic, and easily coordinated through the hotel. On a side note, I found out from our guide that he also offers a deep jungle tour for which you absolutely need more gear than we had, so ask about that if you are interested and can be prepared for it. I wish we had been (long sleeves, pants, hats, etc.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Jaguar Inn during my visit to Tikal. With just a 5 minute walk to the start of the ruins at Tikal the location can't be beat. After seeing Tikal we were too tired to search for a restaurant so we ate at the inn. The food was excellent, and the beer was cold. The bungalow we stayed in had no A/C but the ceiling fan worked well. Not sure why, but they kill the power to the inn between 9pm and about 6:30am so be sure you have a ht shower by then. Overall a great lodge at an amazing site.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank wyoscott
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were with a G Adventures group and we camped at this place overnight. When we arrived our small tents were set up already with air mattresses and linen ready. We Slept one person to a tent and I think this was the best most comfortable way to sleep here. 2 people to a tent would have been too crowded. The tents were in good shape. I am not sure how well they would do in the rain but I was very comfortable in my tent that night. Bring Earplugs as there is nothing stopping the noise of fellow campers. There was a lot of noise from people who snore. LOL.
The Camp shower looked rough. BUT this was the best shower I had on my trip - plentiful hot water with GREAT strong water pressure. Use the guys shower its the best! Bring a flashlight because they turn the lights off to the bathrooms and showers.. You will need a light if you shower or go to the bathroom in the night.
Bring Bugspray - you are in the jungle!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 6 in Santa Elena
Palomino Ranch Hotel
Palomino Ranch Hotel
#2 of 7 in El Remate

Been to Hotel Jaguar Inn Tikal? Share your experiences!