Jungle Lodge Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Tikal Inn(Tikal National Park)
  • Pool
Hotel Mon Ami(El Remate)
  • Beachfront
Hotel Sun Breeze(El Remate)
View Hotel
Camino Real Tikal(Santa Elena)
  • Pool
La Lancha Lodge(Santa Elena)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsjungle lodgehowler monkeysceiling fanmosquito nettingoutdoor showersunrise tourshared bathroompark entrancevisiting tikaljunior suiteclosest hotelstayed here for two nightstikal ruinstravel agentlate afternoonhot watergreat pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 28, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Jungle Lodge inside the park. The food was good and the beers were cold. It was really great to be inside the park. I like hearing all of the animal noises at night. We booked ahead of time. Had to send several emails before we got a response. Other than that, it wasn't a problem. Just finished putting up my video from the trip.

You can see the flight, the drive to the area and shots from inside the park (including a toucan and monkeys). We were by ourselves in the late afternoon. I would highly recommend Tikal.

Cheers,
Darren

6  Thank dvansoye
Reviewed September 5, 2008

This hotel was a little more expensive that what we want to spend, but ended up being really excellent.

True 4 star standard, with big and clean room that had a mozzie net.

So it was great not just for a place in a middle of a jungle, but it was just a great hotel (well bungalows I guess).

Dinner wasn't that nice though, but then again we only eat there once, so who cares.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mick_here555
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We spent two nights at the Jungle Lodge. The location is perfect for sunset or sunrise trips into the Tikal park, since the lodge is a two-minute walk to the park gate. However, the food in the restaurant is not very good. Be prepared for poor food and enjoy the location.

We stayed in the best room they had, which was the Junior Suite. It was modern, clean, and very nice. In fact, they made a mostly-successful attempt to make it classy, including a huge tub and separate shower. I recommend that type of room. I did not see what the other rooms were like.

As a possible alternative, you might want to consider something like Hotel El Muelle, which is about a half hour drive away in the town of El Remate. We stopped there as we were leaving Tikal and swam in the lake in front of the hotel. The place looks very nice, and the lake is beautiful. If I ever went back to Tikal, I would probably stay there.

It seems like staying right at the park (e.g. in the Jungle Lodge) would only be a priority for people who want to go to/from the room multiple times in the same day, or people who want to do the sunrise. We didn't do the sunrise because everyone we talked to said it was cloudy and you couldn't see anything.

However, I would recommend doing the sunset. I recommend doing it from the top of temple 5 instead of temple 4. It's less crowded than temple 4 and the view is better.

The only drawback to temple 5 is the super-steep staircase going to the top. This isn't the original stone steps, it's a separate staircase built on the left side. The staircase is so steep it's almost like a ladder. However, it has landings every dozen steps or so, and good hand rails. If you are seriously afraid of heights or not in good physical condition, then temple 4 is a better bet.

If you watch the sunset and walk out after dark, be sure to use your flashlight as it's getting dark even if you think you can see where you are going. That way you can watch for scorpions. We saw one about 6 inches long. It was pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to step on it.

By the way, if you rent a car and drive into Guatemala, make sure you have a copy of the car's registeration with you. Rental cars don't normally have a copy of that in the car, and it's required when entering Guatemala.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jim_and_Barbie
Reviewed August 22, 2008

The location of this hotel is just perfect. It sits right on the entrance to the amazing park of Tikal. We were able to do both a night trip to Tikal during a full moon night and the usual sunrise trip everyone takes without getting up too early and taking any bus early in the morning.
The room was clean and comfortable and the shower was good but the hours of the hot water are very limited. Other than that, the room is very limitedly equipped and quite expensive. There is a restaurant in the hotel perimeter which is also a bit expensive. Dinner was okay, breakfast is okay. Also, note that the breakfast is served till late (about eleven) and not as stated in the signs of the hotel (till nine).
Internet service is available but is also a bit expensive.
All in all it is a good place to stay, mainly because of the great location and despite of the high price.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I just got back from a stay of two nights at the Jungle Lodge. There is no better location to stay in Tikal if you want to be close to the ruins and sleep in the middle of the jungle. The Jungle Lodge is right next to the park entrance, a 10 minute walk to the Grand Plaza of Tikal. You will thank the great location if you do the sunrise tour of Tikal (an absolute must). The tour usually starts at 445am, that means that if you are coming from a hotel in Flores (45 minute drive to Tikal) you have to get up sometime between 3am and 330am. Staying at the Jungle Lodge gets you an extra hour of sleep.

The hotel was much better than I expected. Good friendly service, nice restaurant and bar and a very nice swimming pool. I stayed in one of the bungalows. The room was ok, clean and with a nice bathroom. No extra amenities in the rooms though (no TV, no air conditioning) but nicer than I expected.

One thing to note is the lack of communication. The hotel uses satellite communication which is very sensitive to weather. No phones in the room and Internet access at the lobby depends on the quality of the satellite link. No celular phone signal in the park.

Overall great place and unbeatable location. Highly recommended

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ttrango