“Very Nice Stay!”

Hotel Tikal Inn
RDU
“Very Nice Stay!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Nice, somewhat private, accommodations with thatch roofs. These are open screened at top for air circulation so conversations from other cabanas can sometimes be heard. Bath rooms are fairly nice for aN eco-lodge type environment. Clean and plenty of room. Very pretty and convenient location. Was here on a birding trip and the National Park is a must see, not to mention the Inn grounds. A word to photographers - Make sure you have 2 cameras with you or pack the one in a bag with plenty of desiccant. The humidity will KILL DSLRs. Happened to us and another couple. Luckily, the moisture subsided and the camera began working the next day with no further problems. Also, remember the power goes off at around 9 PM and comes back on at around 8AM so plan accordingly!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Portland
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is not a luxury property, but it is very comfortable. Its limitations (limited generator electricity, spotty wifi, etc) are the flipside of being immersed in the park, which is an ideal place to explore the ruins from. The staff are very friendly and attentive. The included meals are filling and we were very pleased to find they had vegetarian options. We LOVED the early morning "sunrise" tour in spite of it being too cloudy to see the sun - the sounds of the jungle were amazing and it was a good 20 degrees cooler than when we returned later in the day. The guide hired by the hotel was very knowledgable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PDXLoMac
cambridge
Reviewed March 31, 2013

You can't ask for a better location when visiting Tikal ruins. The hotel is within walking distance. However, I think that they could do better. Very few of the staff speak English so communication can be a little difficult. The rooms are basic but clean. We stayed in a pool view suite. Electricity goes off at 10pm and only comes on again around 6 am. Dinner was included in our package which is logical as there is nowhere else to eat!! Food was basic but good. Pool lovely and really nice to come back to after a hot day at the ruins. Top tip - take a torch!

Room Tip: Upgrade your room if possible
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed March 30, 2013

One of the three lodges at the entrance to the archeological site, the Tikal Inn is an excellent choice for those staying in the park. Staff members are friendly and helpful, rooms are clean and adequate, restaurant serves good food, there is a lovely garden with a pool. Electricity is rationed and internet access is sketchy. Packages include breakfast and dinner, and a guided tour of the ruins. My guide was very friendly and led an interesting tour, but his command of English was limited.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LMOverby
Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2013

In January I spent some time in Belize with a side trip to Tikal National Park In Guatemala. The park, of course,was fantastic. The Inn was very good. I had read some reviews that did not make it sound all that great but it was really good. The restaurant service was quick and efficient and the staff were all friendly and helpful. After spending time visiting the ruins a dip in the pool was perfect. In the morning the howler monkeys, the wild turkeys and all sorts of other birds were right there. The room was comfortable and the shower had hot water. (We had been a few places where the showers did not have hot water.) I would recommend the Inn.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lois P
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I think this place is good value. Arrived late at night, no reservation, and got US$40 single fan room C-11, not a bungalow. I think electricity goes off at 10 pm, no problem for me. Pool looked good. The service and food at breakfast were good. Wifi too, It was quiet there.

Room Tip: Room C-11 is not a bungalow. It is a front corner room, off by itself, with an exterior door. I th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Ft Washington
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had a truly wonderful visit to Tikal with a stay at the Tikal Inn. I would like to thank my fellow Trip Advisor reviewers because if not for their warning I might have been truly terrorized by the giant cockroach that I found on my curtain window! He was dispatched quickly and my husband put something on the floor to close a small gap under the door and we had no further problem. There were quite a few ants around the bathroom sink at one point, but I killed them and they did not return. Like my father always used to say - "it's just nature, little one".

We had no problems with hot water availability between 6:00AM - 8:00AM, and after the lights went out at 10:00pm, I think I had the best night's sleep I've had in a long time. I could not hear my neighbors in their rooms, but when they sat out in front of their room on the seating provided, it was a little loud. But, my neighbors were speaking Chinese and German so we were really intrigued by that.

The staff is wonderful, and most helpful. We had lunch and breakfast included, and both were good enough although my son's steak was pretty inedible due to gristle and under-cooking. Breakfast was great - we all chose the pancakes which came with an amazing Aztecan honey.

On our first night, we left the hotel and ate dinner at the "Comedor" ? which was around the corner and recommended by our guide. We were not satisfied and do not recommend. We had lunch the next day at the restaurant at the Jaguar Inn and that was wonderful.

All in all, our overnight stay in Tikal was a wonderful experience and we have no complaints with the Tikal Inn and would gladly stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in B-13 which was very peaceful with a beautiful green area in front of it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Tikal National Park
La Casa De Don David
La Casa De Don David
#1 of 11 in El Remate

Been to Hotel Tikal Inn? Share your experiences!