Hotel Modelo
Hotel Las Americas(Quetzaltenango)
$64
Priceline
$55
Hotel y Restaurante Villa Esmeralda(Quetzaltenango)(Great Value!)
$37
$41
$40
  • Free Internet
Agoda.com
All reviewsfamily runnice hotelcourtyard gardencolonial style hotelcentral parkwould stay here againlatin americahot watereach morningreception areabreakfast includedrooms are cleanhome away from homethe main squaremodelojosecentury
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed here 3 nights in a 3 week trip to Guatemala, and the owners family make this stay a must on the service and support side, with great advice, cozy rooms with a fireplace, a great breakfast, and a genuine attitude to help their guest.

There are also some vintage motorcycles in the halls their grandfather rode all over the Americas, as well as artwork and nice touches unique to the region.

One the best hotel stays I have had in a decade of travel to the region, my 40th trip...

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Talk about making a traveler feel welcome. I spent a short week with these fine folks and now include them among my friends who I can hardly wait to visit again.

The hotel was formerly a colonial style home that's been converted into a really interesting hotel/restaurant/bar. It's littered with antiques, artwork, vintage motorcycles and living history. The central courtyard, which is chock full of plant life, further lends to the open/expansive atmosphere while allowing in plenty of natural light. In the event of a rainy afternoon you can curl up in the lobby...in front of a fireplace while lounging about on leather furniture.

I found that for $40 USD it's an outstanding bargain as well.

My room was well appointed with hardwood floors, an exposed beam ceiling with recessed eyeball lights that accentuated a nice original oil painting, a writing desk, small seating area around a table, television, a good strong Wi-Fi signal and a walk-in closet. And that forty bucks includes breakfast too. Excellent deal!

As far as the owners go, well, they're some of the nicest people I've ever met. I could go on at length but I'll simply remind them in person the next time I see them. Because I'll definitely be returning.

Outstanding!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Beautiful little hotel in the centre of Quetzaltenango. The hotel is more than 100 years old... and has been in the same family since then (the current owner is a lovely woman). Full, utterly full of antiques... loads of parked up motorbikes from 50 years ago. Lots of furniture. quaint, simple and perfect basically. Rooms are comfortable and clean and hot water aplenty. Breakfast is lovely... good value for money place. Super fast wi-fi throughout. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Our "beach vacation" morphed into more of an off road adventure in Guatemala. We ended up heading to Xela instead of the coast due to the rain and travel conditions. We stumbled upon this wonderful place the day we left Pana and after our very long drive we were greeted by a superb front desk staff, spacious room and charming atmosphere.

Throughout our visit we recieved important information from Maria and Jose regarding road closures and routes that we would need to take to get to Antigua. The bar was very nice with reasonably priced drinks, a nice place to grab a drink before heading to the room or before heading out for dinner. We spent more time in this city because of the weather but hotel 's atmosphere (and comraderie from the fellow guests in the same predicament) made our stay enjoyable and entertaining. Free internet in the lobby was great for letting our family and friends know we were safe and the staff truly cared about all of their guests' safety. The breakfasts were nice and the service was terrific too!

Two extra special notes- the day we left the hotel to travel (a bridge was out so the 3 hour trip would take us possibly 12 hours) Maria gave us each a lunch to bring with us free of charge. I thought that this just proved the level of thoughtfulness the famly brings to their guests.

We also got a recommendation of a hotel to stay at in Antigua which we enjoyed thoroughly and Jose actually called and reserved us our room!

Thanks again! We loved our stay at Hotel Modelo!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Very clean and comfortable, but simple, just the way I like it. Great folks (owners AND employees). Awesome restaurant with simple, but delicious food!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business