“Three Times a Charm”

Finca Ixobel Hotel Ecologico
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Ok, Confession time, I never return more than once to a place. There is simply to many places to stay. Yet this is now our third time to Finca Ixobel. Do I need to say more :)

We just love this place, The first time I came here was 13 years ago as a backpacker. Then I brought back my hubby and our oldest son before my baby was born 5 years ago.

My son loved it here so much that he wanted to celebrate his 10th birthday here and it just happened to fall a few days before my husband and I celebrated our 13th anniversary.

So we came back with my baby this time.

It's just such a great place. The kids spent half their time in the natural water hole and on the swings that were right in front of our cabin.

We ate lots and even did a horseback tour. There are tons of tours to choose from. But only the horseback that are good for 3 year olds.

Here are some photos of this great place:

Also, I love the honor system and home cooked meals.

Room Tip: There are so many to choose from: treehouse, camping, cabins. We choose the Venus Suite which is the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Travel_Experta

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Came here to eat with a large group of Americans doing volunteer work in the area. Carol and the rest of staff were very inviting. Menu is American food, such as sandwiches, hamburgers, but would have benefitted by offering some local faire. All ingredients were fresh and all bread (delicious) made on the property. Atmosphere is the best. Several people in our group returned on other evenings to enjoy the bar. If I were a traveler, this is exactly the type of place I would have stayed at.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The staff & owner is just the beginning of the enchantment of this place. This was my 2nd visit in 2 years & the charm was still there. The site tends to have a magical draw for visitors. The majority recognise the fact & relish in intermingling. I've made lasting friendships at the fince & even enjoyed a reunion w/old friends at the Finca's friendly bar. This past visit, I met a lovely travel partner to continue on to Yaxha afterwards. The food is amazing. Everything is grown onsite & the delightful culinary creations & fabulous fresh baked breads undoes the heartiest attempts of the exhausting physical exercises provided during the tours. The River Cave can be exhausting but if you can trudge the jungle for 2 hours, it's worth the while. Bring your waterproof headlamp. The water is frigid, but your body quickly adjusts in the cave. You don't want to carry anything but your water & headlamp on this trip. Mopan is a must, but you'll need an English interpreter for the Museo. Mopan Waterfalls is where my camera battery finally gave out. Even though it wasn't near the water, the camera seized & the battery went out. As I removed it, it was covered in moisture. I dried it out & got a new battery when I came home-all's well, but I missed photos for the rest of my trip to Yaxha. Last time, we stayed in the double room w/o a bath then moved to a treehouse w/bath. This time I tried the dorm. It was great. You still had to go outside to the bathroom facility & showers, but w/the great weather, it wasn't a problem. This is not a high-end hotel its an ecological accommodation & you should go there w/a sense of adventure & discovery of the land & people. The staff is very friendly & will try their best to make your stay, not only at the Finca, but the area in Guatemala the very best it can be.
Come w/ a hunger for good food, great times/adventures & good friends. It's very easy to find at the finca!

Room Tip: I've stayed in 4 different rooms. You really need to see them to appreciate what they can offer...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2014

After turning off the highway, it was a bit difficult to find the hotel on the property. We called the hotel to make sure we were headed in the right direction since it was a bit of a winding road and there were other houses around. The hotel could benefit from an extra sign or two telling you that you are going the right way (though perhaps it is more obvious in the day; we arrived at night).

The owner and staff were very friendly and welcoming. Enma, one of the hotel's staff members, was very kind to us when we arrived late at night, showing us several room options and serving us dinner.

We settled on a private bungalow, which we really enjoyed. It was clean, and it had nice big windows. There weren't as many bugs as I expected there would be for the area. We only saw one gecko in our room, and it didn't bother us at all. The bungalow had a porch out front that we would have likely enjoyed more had we stayed at the hotel longer. The bathroom was large, and there was also a good supply of warm water for showers.

The food was fantastic. Everything we had was delicious, especially breakfast (eggs with beans, cheese, and potatoes; the "huevos con tres sabores") and the hearty bread that came with all of our meals. Very generous portion sizes that we really appreciated after much traveling. My only complaint is that breakfast did not include coffee; the coffee cost extra.

Overall, very good experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Finca Ixobel was a nice place to visit in our way to Tikal.
Was a great experience for US citizens wanting to have a close up to nature.
The system provided by the employees was great.
Auto service for food which was a delight in a far way place.
You might have to check the weather before. In our stay, we had 2 rainy days and it gets moody.
They have to improve their security vigilance for the tourists to feel safe.
Please, include a first aid kit for customers. (Mosquito bites, stomaches, fever,etc)
The fares are good for groups and make your trip more affordable.
We weren't able to enjoyed their in site activities but other guests did.
Guatemalans and foreign visitors will enjoy this place!

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here camping while travelling across Central America.

Food, people, location, activities and landscape is spectacular. You can mix days of totak relax with days full of activities.

You won't regret it.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I was told by a good friend to come here for some relaxation after Tikal in Flores, and boy was he right. I stayed in one of their tree houses and woke to swing in my private hammock every morning. Their food is SUBLIME (they bake all their own breads/pastries) and work on the "honor system" (everything you take, you write down in your book). There is a beautiful little lake to swim in and cool little niches throughout the grounds to just chill at. On the weekends, they open their bar by the lake and build a bonfire. The locals come out to drink and dance and just live it up. I really enjoyed the balance between calm on weekdays and fun on weekends. And if that's not enough, you can book to do horse riding (didn't do as am allergic) or cave treks (did do and loved).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Finca Ixobel Hotel Ecologico? Share your experiences!