All reviews on stilts breakfast buffet tucan tour hot water rio dulce hurricane season reception and bar area tour group individual cabins stay there again only accessible by boat best kept secret longer stay by water taxi happy hour pizza central america
Reviewed February 18, 2011

A little on the pricey side. You are 'locked in' there after dark. Probably OK as the town itself was a little iffy. Bar and food prices were a little high. No English speakers, so brush up your Spanish. Our toilet tank had no pressure. No compensation offered. Swimming pool - 1 foot to 4 feet :-) deep.

View of the lak and sunrise was nice. Heard howler monkeys at sunrise.

Date of stay: February 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2010

This was the second time we stayed in the Catamaran. We just love this place. I don t think you will stay anywhere else in this world in watervillas for such a good price. It is great to wake up in the morning and see nothing but water around you. The food is great and the staff lovely. We had a wonderful time and would come back anytime there.

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Free high speed (.5mb/s). Absolutely loved this place, built and run by a x military guy "Kevin" and it shows in a good way. All the rooms/cabins are named after letters in the phonetic alphabet, clean and well appointed. Great breakfast spread. Place has got a great vibe, friendly, efficient and set up on its own little island. Drinks must be purchased in the islands local currency (the Kevin) which if readily convertible to/from Guatemalan.

Date of stay: March 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I read through the other reviews of this hotel and was a bit skeptical, but my first two choice, Finca el Paraíso, and Hacienda Tijax, were both booked, so I took my chances.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. After arriving with my beautiful companion on the Litegua bus from Guatemala City, we were promptly picked up in the lancha and transported free of charge to the hotel. The restaurant is big, and the selection is pretty good, with local seafood specialties such as tapado.

The pool and adjacent bar are nice as well. Our bungalow had a spectacular view of the river, and the three beds were all fine - nothing special or decadently comfortable, but they were not uncomfortable either.

As for the can of Raid (tm) that another reviewer mentioned, that is completely true. I was more than a little skeptical after seeing that can, but I didn't notice any bugs during our stay, though there were some big lizards and frogs on the grounds, which are nice and shaded.

Breakfast was very good, with cereals, fresh fruit, plantains, omelets, beans, and good coffee. I was particularly impressed with the spread, as it was included with the room.

Overall, I would stay there again, though it's not luxurious. If you're looking for good accommodations at a good price without exorbitant creature comforts, it's a good place, and I would recommend it.

Date of stay: June 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jsoell
Reviewed April 10, 2007

The hotel is not what it seems to be.

Standard "huts" as what they call "special rooms"

No TV nor phone in the room. Just a very old AC Machine that has a very tiny gap among temperature degrees u can play with. Bathroom was made for very small (maya) people; it was just a nightmare to take a bath in there.

BAYGON bottles are always there for killing tons of mosquitoes that are just waiting for fresh skin to feed of!!!!

Restaurant is quite far to be a 2 star hotel restaurant in the zone - if you are lucky enough and u can get any means of transportation, u can go to other surrounding hotels (specially the ones near the legendary castle) to get some descent food and service at a very considerable price.

Size of the pool is too depressing and entertainment is a word they do not know at all.

This might be a good location just for elderly people or guys that just want to sleep by listening to sound of river waves under the room.

I must give this site a 3 or 4 out of 10 as my final grade!!!!

Date of stay: April 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RACSO78