“Very comfortable hotel in Livingston”

Dos Arboles Eco Resort
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Livingston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed two nights. The rooms are comfortable. I am old enough to really appreciate air conditioning in the Caribbean. They fresh fish and lobster prepared by the owner was excellent. Nice pool. It was May and we had the place nearly to ourselves.
Charming owners. They just returned after renting the hotel for a few months. It apparently did not work out well. "Mama Mia! . They sella mi lancha!"

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DJGSant

Reviewed April 8, 2012

My experience at this hotel was OK. According to the price and reviews it seemed to be a very good place. I seriously think they need to work a lot more on the cleaning (specially the toilet): the room had some spidernets, the toilet had mould all over the inside, the sink wasn't as clean either and the maintanence of sheets also seemed like previously used. The manager was very kind and after we commented about it he took charge on it and made it up for us.
The place has lot of potential but they need to focus more on cleaning.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lusefu
Reviewed January 12, 2012

OK the owner forced me to write this...just kidding :) This place is awesome! Arriving on the pier and seeing the village one would never expect to find this here. Clean, quiet, great pool. Owners are the only fun Germans I ever met, hehe. The rooms are OK, nothing fancy though. Aircondition works very well and quiet, the ones we had before would not make it possible to sleep. Place is a bit off the village but we walked there in 15 minutes along the beach. Don't know about the food, only had breakfast which was very good. We did the 7 Altars tour and later went to a beautiful white beach,cheap and highly reccommended!

Room Tip: The rooms are all different, numbers 5 and 6 are very nice
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank danny_nitro
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stay at the hotel for 2 nights it was a very pleasant experience, the guys who are running it currently nick and Corihna just took charge of if three months ago and are creating a very good experience. The food is great, ask for the manta ray, yes it takes sometime but is not fast food and believe me everything in Livingston is done pretty slowly. So either if you eat at the hotel or anywhere be patient. The pool is great you can stay there for hours and the rooms are very clean. If there is anything you need tell them I am sure they will make their best. Thanks Nick and Corihna we had a great family time staying with you guys.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Juan C
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I have been to Lívingston many times and always stayed at the same hotel. I had to change as they had no more rooms and I never regretted. This place is almost perfect, clean, very good food, nice owners from Europe. It takes some time for the food to be prepared, but it is verrrry yummy so it is worth waiting (best Lasagna ever!). The location is right on the beach but the pool is so beautiful one wants to stay there all day. I will come back here eventually and recommend it!

Room Tip: Single rooms are double rooms but cheaper
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank amveliz
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed and the Vecchia Toscana early November (2011). Recently taken over by a very welcoming and accommodating couple who have great plans for the place and i'm sure will make it a real success.

As secure and relaxing little haven with excellent pool and bar and away from the main town with the ocean on its doorstep. It's easy and safe to walk to town for drinks and meals and exploring. Peaceful and roomy accommodation.

Both meals we had were excellent. Breakfast yummy and good coffee and the evening meal was superb (one of the best we had on our holiday). I had the Snapper (mouth-watering!) and Steve had the Swordfish... both cooked to perfection and the wine was chilled and delicious. With the sea sounds and evening breeze, the location for such a meal couldn't have been better.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank SRSQ
Reviewed November 1, 2011

The rooms are nice and safe, probably the best in town. That said, the costs at this place run much higher than advertised. I called on the phone and was quoted a price of 30 dollars a night, when I checked out, it was 75..... The food costs are absurd. Even if I had been at the Ritz Carlton the prices would have been high, but at a hotel in a poor neighborhood in Livingston... well they were crazy. Without knowing the prices (since they aren't posted), I bought 3 beers ,an omelet and two cups of coffee during my stay. The cost of all this was around 40 dollars. The omelet was very small and served with dry stale bread. I would never have ordered if i had even imagined the prices. Even the coffee was about 3 dollars for a small cup and refills were not free (and I was not told that when the owner asked me if I wanted a second cup). Also even with their crazy prices, we were told not to bring our own drinks into the dining area (we were the only guests and with good reason apparently). And probably the worst event of the week, we ordered some fish, waited 3 hours for it to be cooked and it was served raw. When we sent it back the hotel seemed very offended and upset about it. Even two days later they made a comment about the fish. I am sorry but I will not eat raw fish caught off the beach in Livingston (where raw sewage runs into the water).

I should also add that while this place advertises itself as a high end Italian villa, you have to walk over an open sewer drain to get to the hotel, walking only over a plank of wood. Additionally, there is a bar next door which plays loud music all night. And your view of the ocean is blocked by barbed wire and fences. At the end of the day this place is trying to be something it just isn't and until they work out their pricing and improve their food, stay away.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
18  Thank charles c
Nick_VTRESORT, Manager at Dos Arboles Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2011

It is sad to see our guest sign up just for leaving this ourageous act of slander.

The author of this review was travelling in a group of four. One of his co-travellers had arranged the stay, and despite clear pricing information provided by our staff and our website, the person who booked the stay assumed that our unique private beachfront bungalow would cost 30 US$ a night which is wrong. At our front desk we keep another big board with detailed pricing information as well. Never had we or our staff been in contact with the reviewer.

The other prices quoted this review are plain simply wrong - e.g. there is no coffee for 3 US$.

The group arrived at our restaurant carrying several bottles of liquor. We kindly asked them not to do so, which they obviously did not like. We wonder what restaurant anywhere in the world would handle this differently. We let the author of the review and the entire group consume their own liquores the whole night at our pool bar without taking further notice just to keep everyone happy.

The author of the review was unsatisfied with our freshly prepared fish (which took 45 minutes instead of "three hours"). We offered another meal right away and made it clear that we would not charge for that, which he refused. Again, I am sure that our reaction was more than appropriate.

The area in front of our hotel is a clean, maintained beach, the "sewer drain" is way off and actually a canal that leads rain water from a hill to the sea.

Anyhow, the guest ended up with insufficient money upon check out and insisted once more on the inacceptable price of 30 US$ per night. As a sign of goodwill and without any commitment, we cut his bill by more than 100 US$.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hotel Finca Tatin
#3 of 3 in Puerto Barrios
Amatique Bay Resort & Marina
Amatique Bay Resort & Marina
#1 of 3 in Puerto Barrios

Been to Dos Arboles Eco Resort? Share your experiences!