“Unhelpful and dishonest staff”
Review of Casa De La Iguana

Casa De La Iguana
Drammen
“Unhelpful and dishonest staff”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

We arrived by boat. On the dock we met this australian girl pretending to be a tourist very happy to meet fellow Aussies. Somehow she made us go with her up the street, an as she found out we didn't have a reservation she told us to come and see her place which was "just around the corner". We agreed to go see it, partly because she told us there was wifi. 10 min walking and not just around the corner we got to the place which actually looks very good. Nice garden and cool houses with hammocks and a nice reception area.

As we were checking in the thugs that followed us from the boat tried to sell us all kinds of drugs, quite aggressively. Staff did not mind. I'm not against these people, but I find it strange allowed inside the hostel.

The girl said we had to come back to the reception soon so she could show us the map of the city. Turned out there was no map, and the reason she wanted us to sit down was to sell us a lot of overpriced tours. No useful information at all.

In the evening we were about to book flight tickets when wifi suddenly was turned off. We asked why, and she said that it was only on until 8 pm. We asked her kindly to turn it back on, but there was no help to get, as she "didn't have the keys". It was not turned on at 9am either.

The beds were horrible, pillows just a hard bag of balls.

This could be a very nice place, but the staff, wifi and horrible beds made it less than average. Why this is a first pick in lonely planet, we can not understand.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank DrBudget

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Nice settings, dark private rooms but reasonable price. Great family style evening meals and best happy hour! Be prepared to party. Great fun though and that's not my usual style. 1 night was enough for both the partying and livingston itself. Only really useful for a trip down Rio Dulce or as a way to continue to Belize or Honduras

• Stayed January 2011
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Myself and my girl traveled through the terrible Belize to get to Guatemala. We arrived in Livingston on a Friday morning knowing nothing about the place, we were immediately recommended la Casa Iguana. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by the staff and shown to a beautiful cabin style room with on suite. Being hungry after our trip we ate there and the food was delicious, like nothing I'd tasted on my travels. The food had a real European home cooked taste to it. That night the festivities kicked off, shots at the bar and local beers. The music was pumping and the owner Rusty was an amazing host. I will never forget my time here and would recommend it to singles or couples who are up for a good time. Thanks to Rusty, Elsa, Mikey and Lou for a great time...

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2010

So my girlfriend and i are pretty tired and a bit sick of boring people. We met a couple of people coming out of Guatemala and we got talking, they were buzzing about this place so we made an effort to check it out. We were pretty happy we did. As soon as we got there one of the staff took my girlfriend's pack off her shoulders (nice touch!!!) and even offered to take mine.

we were invited into the bar area and the guy got us a cold beer each straight away. he then introduced us to all the people in the bar practically. told us all about the place and the things we could do whilst staying there. the owner, Rusty got us on a few trips they offer. great fun. all local guides with slightly dodgy American accents!!!

i ate and drank like freakin madman!! bbq's at night sat around a table filled with like minded people. we couldn't have been happier. we stayed in the dorm the first night because the bungalows were taken but the next morning they offered us one. proper bathrooms and a nice double bed. thanks guys. i wish it was always like that.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I have visited Casa De La Iguana 3 times now and off for my 4th visit the week. The hostel is lovely and clean with a good garden to hang out and relax in. They do a superb breakfast with a good mug of tea (That is important to me). The staff are always helpful and very informative about the area, day tips and stuff to do. Rusty the owner is a super host and makes you feel very welcome. Love the Casa de la Iguana....Love it, Love it, love it! There is also a lovely Raccoon Loco to hang out with.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I wandered around Livingston looking at the different places to stay. Everywhere had a sort of dead, budget hotel vibe, and some of the places were downright filthy. I eventually wandered down to Casa de la Iguana, and I immediately felt welcome. The hostel had a really friendly vibe. It really felt like a friend's house rather than a place I had to pay for. The rooms were nice enough and I spent my day's lounging, playing chess (the owner's got some game) and watching movies, and my nights getting hammered drunk. The food was great and the service even better. It was some of the most fun I had while in Guatemala. As far as I'm concerned, there's really only one place to stay in Livingston.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed September 12, 2010

i only planned to stay for a day,maybe two.then off to honduras.then i met rusty and the rest of the iguana crew.i stayed nine days and had the time if my life.went to the beach,swam in the river.went to "siete altres"(seven alters)and jumped into swimming holes out in the jungle!!!!!!loved it.never made it to honduras..

2 Thank airek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hotel Finca Tatin
#2 of 11 in Livingston
El Hotelito Perdido
El Hotelito Perdido
#1 of 18 in Rio Dulce

Been to Casa De La Iguana? Share your experiences!