We arrived by boat. On the dock we met this australian girl pretending to be a tourist very happy to meet fellow Aussies. Somehow she made us go with her up the street, an as she found out we didn't have a reservation she told us to come and see her place which was "just around the corner". We agreed to go see it, partly because she told us there was wifi. 10 min walking and not just around the corner we got to the place which actually looks very good. Nice garden and cool houses with hammocks and a nice reception area.
As we were checking in the thugs that followed us from the boat tried to sell us all kinds of drugs, quite aggressively. Staff did not mind. I'm not against these people, but I find it strange allowed inside the hostel.
The girl said we had to come back to the reception soon so she could show us the map of the city. Turned out there was no map, and the reason she wanted us to sit down was to sell us a lot of overpriced tours. No useful information at all.
In the evening we were about to book flight tickets when wifi suddenly was turned off. We asked why, and she said that it was only on until 8 pm. We asked her kindly to turn it back on, but there was no help to get, as she "didn't have the keys". It was not turned on at 9am either.
The beds were horrible, pillows just a hard bag of balls.
This could be a very nice place, but the staff, wifi and horrible beds made it less than average. Why this is a first pick in lonely planet, we can not understand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa de la Iguana is a fabulously famous party hostel for fun and friendly happy travellers. It is set in a jungle garden with awesome wooden cabins and dormitories all unique and worth the extra Q for a good nights sleep. We may not be the cheapest in Livingston but we pride ourselves on having handmade lockers in each dorm, comfortable beds, spacious private rooms, superb wifi for Skyping and calls home, great social staff and fantastic fun most evenings, especially when a lively Happy Hour involved. There is fantastic free wifi. the best in Livingston actually, as well as an international book exchange. We also arrange tours to Belize, La Ceiba, Siete Altares, Playa Blanca and Rio Dulce and recently added, our own very exciting Tiger Cave trip and Fishing (eat what you catch). Spanish Lessons available too. We have a great reputation for our parties but it happens when we have a great bunch of people too! Come see us soon, meet other like-minded free spirits. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Casa De La Iguana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa De La Iguana Hotel Livingston
- Casa De La Iguana Guatemala/Livingston