“Paradise”

Hotel and Restaurant Bambu
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We thought we had arrived in Paradise when we stayed at the Bambu. Though it is a few minute tuk tuk ride from the heart of town, it is utterly gorgeous, located at the mouth of the harbor in an exquisite setting that is made for R&R. The rooms are large and clean and offer private outdoor balconies. Lunch on the balcony of the restaurant is better than dinner. The location can either be a plus or a minus, depending on your preference for being close to the center of town or a bit outside in your own paradise.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Summer.Rain.Boston
There are newer reviews for Hotel and Restaurant Bambu

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We arrived at Bambu after a terrible experience at Posada, where the inhospitable owner refused to serve us for no reason at all. It only took a few minutes at Bambu for that to feel like ancient history. The staff were so friendly, and the food was delicious. We spent a couple of wonderful hours enjoying our lunch by the lake, and I hope to return many times in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TAMooney
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I didnt stay at the Bambu but I stayed near by and went to the Bambu for breakfast once and dinner twice. Their breakfast menu had a lot of variation and was really nice. I had the fruit filled crepes and they were perfect! The dinner menu was the same, from hamburgers to pasta dishes to steak. I had the bruschetta appetizer and it was very simple but delicious, andI had the hamburger with cheese and it was amazing and I also had the steak dinner the following night. Their mashed potatoes were GREAT! I Beautiful place with gorgeous views and lovely gardens and relaxing pool. Definitely would go back!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The people were really nice. The food was good, the menu was a bit limited and only opened at7:30 am.

Rooms were nice & the grounds were beautiful!

You can get there in a tuk- tuk for 75 cents, so it does not seem so far away from town.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The owners of this hotel are fantastic. The rooms are nice and clean. The hotel staff is helpful. The dining options are limited and the resturaunt menu needs some help. There are boats available that will take you to other parts of the lake and again the owners will help you organize any kind of tour or activity that you need. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The pool can be a bit cold as it is shaded for part of the day, but it is big and nice and secluded. Great place to stay at the lake!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank attridge57
Reviewed May 16, 2012

There is not a lot of budget hotel in Santiago (that are well situated OR that are listed on the internet) so I reserved at the Eco Bambu Hotel which costed us 99$ US for a room quadruple, continental breakfast included....Not too expensive but still not a budget hotel.

The price was not expensive if we look at the hotel...the site is amazing, with beautiful gardens, swimming pool and a nice terrasse with a view on the lake. Our room was very clean and very big and so was the bathroom!!! The bed was very comfy. I was scared to see big MONSTRUOUS spiders.... but I haven't (ok my friend did but they told me once we were gone).

We arrived at the hotel by boat from Panajachel... but be careful, we paid an extra 30Q to the boat drive for him to stop at the hotel dock instead of the public one. You don't need to do this...you can easily take a Tuk Tuk at the docks that will cost you 15Q instead of 30Q per person. I know it's not a lot but when you're on a tight budget is great to know =)

We decided to do an happy hour at the hotel bar but honestly, if you want to do this... drink somewhere else. There was a lot of think on the drink card but what I wanted wasn't available. I finished with a sangria...made form smashed pinapple and wine...ewww... NNNNOOOO good! And it was expensive!!

The drinks were not great but the food was. We had great plates and it was delicious. The only thing is for the breakfast. We had continental breakfast included in our price and the honestly it didn't include many things. For mw it was fine, but not for my husband so we asked if we could pay the difference between the continental and another item on the menu but we couldn't so we had to pay the full price for the breakfast (which was not the continental one).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2012

If anyone has had the privilege of meeting the owner of the Bambú they would know that he cares much more about accommodating his guests than money. I recently stayed at the Bambú and personally enjoyed the food, but to inform all of the serious food critics, the staff told me that they are in the process of changing the menu completely because they have heard that the food is one of the hotels weaker points. They just finished an amazing wood burning stove and in addition to the new menu they will offer an array of pizzas, home made bread, and many different dinner specials. I was completely blown away by the amazing views and gardens and although the rooms are kinda simple, they are very spacious and clean with reliable long hot showers. During my stay I became quite familiar with the staff (I'm a very social person) and I overheard them talking about a threatening email sent by the person who wrote the review below mine. Apparently the Bambú was told that if they didn't re-emberse these people for their stay they would write terrible reviews about the Bambú on every website they could find. They had stayed during Semana Santa which is the biggest party week of the year and expected a peaceful couple of nights when everyone who comes to Santiago this specific week comes to party and celebrate. Hopefully people wont miss out on this wonderful escape because of one out of place revengeful review. I would recommend this hotel to anyone; travelers and families alike!!

Room Tip: The bungalows were right by the lake and the upstairs rooms had amazing views
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
#4 of 29 in Panajachel
Hotel Regis Panajachel
Hotel Regis Panajachel
#5 of 29 in Panajachel

Been to Hotel and Restaurant Bambu? Share your experiences!