Posada de Santiago
Pescador Hotel PH(Santiago Atitlan)(Great Value!)
$47
$38
  • Restaurant
Hotel and Restaurant Bambu(Santiago Atitlan)
$75
$70
Travelocity
Hotel Toliman(San Lucas Toliman)(Great Value!)
$81
Lush Atitlan(San Marcos La Laguna)
$60
  • Beachfront
$171
$80
  • Breakfast included
Hotel IslaVerde(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
$56
  • Restaurant
Hotel el Arca de Noe(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
$46
$240
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshot tubthe ownerthe cottageslake atitlanpurified waterrustic charmsan pedro volcanostone wallssingle beddelicious foodbeautiful groundslocal artguatemala cityevery eveninghotel restaurantstayed longerboat dock
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I guess I am old school...but I think if you are a paying customer, you should not be held hostage to the whims of the owner. The immediate issue is the wifi. The only good wifi signal is the signal in the dining area. Every night the owner shuts it off between 6PM-8:30PM. The wifi around the property is virtually nonexistent so things are basically not accessible during the dinner hour. So, as a captive audience, we eat in the dining room listening to the not-so-talented ex-pat friends of the owner, as they try to carry a tune....

I don't want to say that the owner is surly but definitely can be described as a bit of a quirky character.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
DJGSant, Owner at Posada de Santiago, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

I would like to correct this travel writer on a couple of issues she brought up.
1) My main business is not the internet. There are two routers. One router is on twenty four hours a day. The signal reaches several rooms as well as two covered patios with seating. It does not get cold here. The second router is in the restaurant, and, due to popular demand, is off during the dinner hours. Prior to this policy, many guests told me that they did not like the feeling of an internet cafe during dinner, one in which people stare at screens and did not interact with other guests. C'mon, lighten up---we are taking about ten percent of the day here.
2) I hire very talented local musicians to play here and do not agree with your assessment a bit.
3) No one is a "captive audience." There is a thatched roof mirador, a ranchito and a palapa where one can sit and be served food and drink if they prefer to not socialize.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

My wife and I spent two nights here during our visit to Lake Atitlan. Taking a boat ride to the hotel dock is the best way to go although not fun during windy afternoons (trust me). Great food options at the hotel, daily linen service including a firewood replenishment for our nightly burns. Most of the staff seemed genuinely glad to have us there although English may not always be their strong suit, so brush up on your espanol.

I'd recommend a taxi (tuk-tuk) into the local town of Santiago Atitlan for a glimpse at the real Guatemala. Always felt safe walking around this town even if it was down a side street away from tourists.

If birds, coffee and plants interest you I'd highly recommend a visit to Los Tarrales Reserve which is about a 45 minute windy drive around the lake. Josue (who we used and who speaks excellent English!) or his brother Aaron can provide an incredible stroll through the reserve. If I remember correctly about 50 families live and work on the property. The most obvious business aspect of the property is the growing of ornamental plants which are mostly exported to Italy. If bird watching is your thing and you are an early riser then this is a must on the list. We were so impressed with Josue's knowledge of the local flora and fauna and even history of the reserve.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blarmon
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Posada has the best staff and the most wonderful food in Santiago. Rolando, one of the managers, will arrange for any service you want, boat, car, excursion, tuk tuk, meals, anything. He was the best, and made our say so comfortable and stress free. The owners are wonderful, too. I had the best massage I've ever had here, and some of the best food I've eaten ever. I highly recommend this place. You will meet lots of peopl who are traveling, vacationing, looking for business opportunities with the local textile producers, and just good folks volunteering time at the Santiago Hospital. A home away from home.

Room Tip: Junior Suite is closest to the lodge - i.e. closest to the food and the WIFI
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Margo N
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We booked 4 nights at La Posada staying in La Casita and arrived after a long drive from Coban and getting lost in Guatemala City. We were greeted efficiently and moved into our cute two bedroom house. It was equipped with a full kitchen and all of the things we needed to prepare our own meals including freshly roasted and ground local coffee. The beds were comfortable. We had a living room and a dining table, gas stove and bathroom with a roomy shower and wall soap/shampoo/conditioner dispenser.

The good: Incredibly beautiful grounds and views, the price for the room was excellent, the sauna, hot tub, food was really good, tours were varied, easily accessible and fair priced, the dock on the lake for running and jumping into the lake, the canoes, the other guests were a delight, the grounds workers were smiling and kind, fresh roasted coffee, fully equipped room, not within the town so it was much quieter than it could have been, the size of the grounds, feeling of safe seclusion in the grounds, the bartenders, the kitchen staff, the loaner guitar, the board games in the lodge, the beautiful lodge, the lake-side/pool-side chairs, the exterior stone of the rooms, the hammocks, the upstairs palapa with the view. After crossing the road to Posada's extension of the beautiful grounds (an acre or two) their access into the lake and bar/beach/pool setup is easy and excellent, shutting off the wifi during dinner time at first I wanted to use it and then was grateful that everybody was not electronified and we took the time to meet some very fun and cool people, David the owner was around and funny.

The bad: pool was colder than the lake, two of the three front desk staff in the 4 days did not smile or seem happy or caring, you have to cross the semi busy two lane road to get to the lake and swimming pool and even though there is a speed bump it is right after a curve although every one slows down drastically it worried me to allow my 9 year old to cross by herself when she went ahead a couple of times. When my daughter wanted to go to the lodge from the pool if we did not go with her we would not know if she made across the street or not. The wifi began about 20 feet away from our front door getting strong enough for video next to La Hacienda (I don't think they said it worked inside our room at all though so we were not surprised). The wood that had been built for our fire in our small fireplace with doors that close smoked up our house because the fire had been built too close to the front. It was enough I had to open the door and windows at night and try to fan out the smoke with a towel. Two nights later I built my own fire in the very back of the fireplace and asked a staff member if it was okay. He approved of the location of the fire yet once lit and the door shut it still pumped a lot of smoke into the house. Apparently it does that until it burns hot then you can open the doors for heat.

One night there was a dog barking for hours so I would recommend bringing earplugs in case. We were pretty tired each night and went to bed early as we tend to do after being in the subtropics for a while so if there were other nights with more noise I did not hear it. Some mosquitoes snuck in when we went in and out the door and left it cracked but we burned a mosquito coil on the third and fourth nights and it seemed to take care of it.

We had a really good time here. I tried taking photos of every type of flower on the grounds and got to about 25 and had to stop because it got windy and my camera would not focus. We took an excellent horse back ride with Jim up to the Mirador, rode in tuk-tuks to and around town like being in Super Mario Kart, shopped for fruits, veggies and handicrafts, and ate local food for about $2 per plate. They dried and roasted coffee 30' from our front door. We had massages which were inexpensive and good although the masseuse speaks only Spanish and Tzutujil. This is a family friendly resort. It was a little gem and I every day I was thankful to David an his mom for having built this.

Room Tip: Although it does not have a view or WiFi we found La Casita to be the best value for a two bedroom home. We cooked a lot of meals here since we were on an extended trip. If I were on vacation for a week or two total I would have gotten one of the other units with a view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank RyBo44
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We loved our time at Posado - but not much to do. The view is better at other parts of the lake, but the food and service and the rooms here are fantastic. The pool is not heated - the solar heating does nothing, but the jacuzzi (warm pool) is nice and beautiful lookout to the volcano. We were in the junior suite #2 - which was a great room, but was right in the middle of the action. We would have preferred to be up the hill a bit more.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family