“Ideal”
Review of Posada de Santiago

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santiago Atitlan
Posada de Santiago
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed a couple of nights at the Posada and we would go back to Guatemala just for that.
Where should I start? By the Woodfire Stone Hammam along the lake ? The Dragon fruit cocktail in the Hamac? The stone carved headboard in the room? The fantastic food?....

Just great to relax for a couple of days!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 25, 2013

This place built by the proprietor is a grand find......IF... You don't mind your wifi turned off from 6-8:30. "Non negotiatiable". And not being allowed to enter to get wifi before the scheduled 7:00 breakfast hour. Other than that. Filtered water to your sink in cabins surrounded by lush lush vegetation and your own personable hammock. Wun di bar! Owner was a grouch when group before us didn't keep there arrange schedule. Bit much in that rigid department. Located just across from the boat dock.

Room Tip: Any room is grand. Breakfast is THE. Best!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
DJGSant, Owner at Posada de Santiago, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

I want to correct two bits of misinformation from this guest review:
We open at 7:30, not 7:00.
The wireless connection is available in our outdoor palapa and we have one more router in a covered area which is always on.

Most guests appreciate that the restaurant router is turned off during the dinner hour. They enjoy dining the old fashioned way--you know back when people actually had conversations and a drink with their meals rather than letting computers take over our lives and staring at screens.

About me being a grouch over the late breakfast group: Don't ask us to open an hour early, then show up an hour late.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I first stayed at the Posada in 1998, returned in 2000, and then was away for awhile before returning in 2010. I've been at the Posada for a few days every summer since, even though I've about done everything that tourists do in Santiago, because I like the place so much. It is special. I brought a student group here, and students and parent-chaperones alike loved it. The staff was great to my kids. I've stayed in the rooms and the cabins; the bathrooms in the rooms are a bit bigger than in the cabins I've had, but they all had really hot water and nice towels. The pool and palapa are great places to relax and take in the views. Early morning coffee service to your room is a fantastic option. Wifi works well in and around the restaurant. I've never had a bad meal here. David and his staff will go out of their way to help you, if you ask nicely, and I've always found them good to deal with.

Much has been said about the food. It may be a bit pricier than other places around the lake, but it's unbelievably good. I have never had a bad meal here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Thanks to David and staff for a perfect get-away spot. The bungalow was beautiful, with a lovely fireplace to take away the night's chill. The food at the restaurant was fabulous, the canoe ride wonderful, the sauna perfect.....
I cannot wait to return!

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Lovely beyond words and the food is great...The setting is beautiful and l loved our simple but very clean room. The area by the lake was so relaxing. The blue corn pancakes are a must, as are the freshly made blue corn tortilla chips.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have stayed at a number of places around Lake Atitlán. Or I used to. After a while it became apparent that the Posada was my favorite, and then it also became apparent that I enjoyed myself at the Posada so much that there was no point in doing second best ever again.

Meals in the restaurant are beautifully presented, and the presentation indicates accurately the care given the food itself. I never seem to get over the tenderest of tenderloins in a blue cheese sauce. It is so nice to get up from dinner and go back to our cottage, light the already properly laid fire, and sip Guatemalan aged rum.

I get my money’s worth; I take full advantage of the wood-burning sauna AND the Jacuzzi AND the swimming pool AND the canoes. And I love just to walk among the gardens, especially when I run into the head gardener, who by now knows me pretty well and doesn’t mind my questions.

Maybe the very best thing among all these wonderful things is the staff. All the staff members—the cooks, the waiters, the housekeepers, the pool chief, not just the gardener—enjoy their work, and they enjoy their clients. Like me they keep on being there. I suspect the owner pays wages well above the local rates, which they deserve, and good for him for knowing it.

As for the owner, I like a guy whose restaurant won’t (WILL NOT) open before 7:30 am and whose menu includes the line, “We also reluctantly serve decaffeinated coffee.” If you don’t appreciate him for that, you’ve got to admire him for taking, at his own expense, the whole staff on a week’s holiday at the Pacific. And for being the driving energy that established a hospital in Santiago, and a women’s weaving cooperative, and, and, and. I also like a guy who charges affordable prices for absolutely top-level quality.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DavidGreenego
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This little resort is beautiful, comfortable, quaint and so delightful! The staff is thoughtful and attentive. The casitas are comfortable with nice additions like an outdoor hammock. There's a pool and jacuzzi, as well as the lake for swimming. There's an area with chairs for sun or for shade.
The food in the restaurant is really good. Breakfast options include blue corn pancakes--so yummy! There are fruit smoothies and veggie juices available, too. Such a delightful place!

• Stayed: July 2013
La Casa del Mundo Hotel
La Casa del Mundo Hotel
#1 of 1 in Jaibalito
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 5 in Santa Cruz La Laguna

Been to Posada de Santiago? Share your experiences!