Posada de Santiago
Hotel and Restaurant Bambu(Santiago Atitlan)
$75
$70
Hotwire.com
Pescador Hotel PH(Santiago Atitlan)(Great Value!)
$47
$38
  • Restaurant
Hotel Toliman(San Lucas Toliman)(Great Value!)
Lush Atitlan(San Marcos La Laguna)
$60
$96
  • Pool
$57
$49
$171
  • Breakfast included
Hotel IslaVerde(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
$56
  • Restaurant
Hotel el Arca de Noe(Santa Cruz La Laguna)(Great Value!)
$46
$240
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshot tubthe ownerthe cottageslake atitlanpurified waterrustic charmsan pedro volcanostone wallssingle beddelicious foodbeautiful groundslocal artguatemala cityevery eveninghotel restaurantstayed longerboat dock
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here for a night on a side trip to Santiago from Santa Cruz. The hotel is on the edge of the town. I walked here, but I recommend taking a boat or a tuktuk. First of all, the hotel is amazing for the price. The rooms is clean, the garden is well maintained and healthy. The restaurant is very relaxing and serves great continental foods.

The best part is the pool area across the street. You can enjoy hot tub late at night with millions stars in the sky. They also have a sauna in the same area.

The owner of the place is also very helpful. He helped me negotiate a boat back t Santa Cruz for a reasonable price.

I would definitely recommend this to everyone.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have been traveling in Guatemala for two weeks and arrived by boat yesterday from panajachel. We love it here. Great food, live music with the waiters chiming in, and good wine selection. Our room is set back from the lake, up a slight incline, surrounded by beautiful gardens with a good view of the lake and a hammock just outside the door. A lovely place to wind down from the craziness of shopping in other parts of this colorful country. And the beds are so comfortable which is a plus!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Posada was a very special place. And I truly hope to return- soon.
I loved the little stone cottage I had. It would have been so nice to have had my husband there to share with. The cottage I had was just 1 cottage up from the restaurant- which for me was perfect, as I would inevitably forget something and have to trudge back up there. It had a small stone patio and hammock- with a spectacular view of the volcano , not only from the front porch but from the window. It's door was also beautifully carved locally. Inside it was all stone walls,tiled floors and 2 large window which let in a lot of light. . It had one full/queen bed and one single bed, handy for me as I used that for my suitcase.It would have been perfect for 2 people but I think too tight for 3 with their luggage.It was simply furnished with a wooden writing table chair and 2 bedside tables.The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. I don't remember the sheets at all, so they must have been fine, I would have noticed otherwise.There were plenty of warm covers, a necisty as the nights turned quite cool..The lights over the bed were very good, and easy for reading. Candles were also provided and I used them for atmosphere.Note also that each day they also provided a pitcher of purified water everyday for your use.
I loved the fireplace and used it every night. ( I don't believe the cottages were heated, somewhat chilly in the mornings, so bring a robe and slippers and perhaps warmer PJs) The fire kept the cottage warm and toasty as I curled up in bed with my book and a glass of wine. They replenish the wood supply every morning.Please note that there really is no night life in Santiago, if that's what you want, everyone will tell you to stay in Panajachel.But Santiago and the Posada were perfect for chilling out.
The bathroom was somewhat rustic and small, but really who cares at a special place like this? It worked fine,purified water was provided for brushing your teeth, the shower had good pressure , I had plenty of hot water, it had a hairdryer and small amenity bottles of shampoo, of course.
The grounds were beautifully landscaped and wonderfully cared for, with stone paths leading to the cottages, as well as down the hill to the lakeside bar area. Unfortunately the bar is only open on certain nights and I only got to use it once while I was there.It sits a bit up from the lake and dock and just steps above the swimming pool and hot tub. They had a fire blazing and comfortable chairs (Adirondack style) in which to just relax and enjoy the magnificent view.The bartender (Otto) was a very nice and I enjoyed talking to him while I sipped wine.
The location is wonderful, apart from sitting right on Lake Atitlan and being able to get boat service right at their dock, the main road runs by the restaurant and Tuk Tuks run by every few minutes and it costs 5Q (about 65 cents) to go anywhere in town- which is only 5 minutes or so away (if that).
Nino (he seemed to do everything in the evening so I will call him the night manager) handled everything. Arranging a boat tour of the lake, as well as a car to take me back to Antigua (I was tired of shuttles at that point). He took excellent care of me.He was so interesting and involved in the community and promoting opportunity for the local children in the schools. Everyone there seems to strongly support their community, there are local art works on the walls which are for sale, local handicrafts in the very small gift shop, and books about local history.
I've only mentioned 2 of the staff, but they were all wonderful.l.
I would note I also had laundry done there, it was promptly returned the next day at a very reasonable cost..
I will review the restaurant separately, but here I will say that there is simply no reason whatsoever to eat anywhere else. The food is quite fresh and wonderful,the restaurant is beautiful and inviting, and the view from the restaurant amazing. What else do you want?
Only one suggestion I have, I would add a bit of color to the rooms by using some of the fabulous local weavings/fabrics on the beds, at the window, something, as the weavings are what brought many of us to Lake Atitaln. I believe I did overheard the owner say that they may already be planning this.It will just make a great place even better.
If you are a Four Seasons kind of person don't go, but if you want an amazing experience in an amazing (and courageous) community,or great outdoor activities and shopping in local markets, go by all means, and enjoy.

Room Tip: Do get one of the little stone cottages
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank rebmax
Reviewed January 23, 2013

While I love visiting Lake Atitlan from Guatemala City, I do not love the crowds and noise of Panajachel. Posada de Santiago is situated in an ideal location - right on an inlet in the lake, Posada offers excellent views of the volcanoes and the lake. A short walk from the "downtown" of Santiago, it is easy to use Posada as a launching point for exploring the lake. All the accessibility of Pana, but more peaceful and private.

The grounds and gardens are beautiful, the stone cottages charming, the service excellent, and the food delicious.

I highly recommend visiting Posada de Santiago and look forward to my next trip there!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was a family trip with teens. Everybody loved the Posada de Santiago. The grounds are truly lovely and the owner and staff are exceptionally helpful. We ate every meal in the restaurant and I can't say enough about the high quality of the meals. Be sure to try Keith's sandwich and the coffee. (We brought 3 pounds of the coffee home). The pool area is beautiful and relaxing. There are lots of pretty little spots to sit and relax. Very, very, enjoyable and memorable stay. Go there now.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family