“Americanized, yet still delicious”
Review of Posada de Santiago

Posada de Santiago
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Asian, Central American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Informal dining with a menu that features local options, such as smoked chicken pibil with blue corn tortillas and home made sauces, and foreign choices, such as Thai coconut shrimp and a blackened blue cheese burger. We make the chili sauces, jams, ice cream; smoke the meats; roast the coffee; Best to make reservations during high season.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you are looking for an authentic Guatemalan breakfast, you will find a more western version at La Posada. There are many options and, although it is pricier, the atmosphere and variety make it a good choice.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Not only is the food great (four-cheese alfredo pasta anyone?), the interior is really quaint and appealing. Make sure to take a trip to the restroom, whether you need to go or not, and read the stories about the famous people who have visited. They are posted on the back of the stall doors.
The pitaya margarita is a must!

1  Thank hek1122
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I've included the restaurant in my overall review of the Posada de Santiago resort/inn. I'll onl add that the quality of the ingredients for all of the dishes was very high -- fresh, flavorful and generally healthy. We stayed in hotel for three days and ate all of our meals here, which is unusual because we almost never dine in hotel restaurants. The menu features a great variety of dishes -- especially breakfast and lunch. The fruits and vegetables were fresh and flavorful, as was the fish we ate for dinner. The food was prepared with care -- no overcooking of vegetables or meat. The menu is not comida tipica, but reflects some regional influences in the seasonings. Breakfast choices include platanos, beans, etc., and the guacamole and fresh make tostones (chips) make an excellent afternoon snack. Service is attentive, but also relaxed. Meals are cooked to order by a small kitchen staff, so be prepared to wait a little while longer than at the average cafe. But it will be worth it.
Note: full bar, okay wine list, and the usual selection of local beers. For non-alcoholoc beverages, order one of the freshly made liquados.

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

My sisters and mother stayed here for 3 nights and ate some of our meals here. The food is very good. The first night, we ordered guacamole, which came with what I said were probably some of the best chips I've ever had. I had the blackened steak, which I highly recommend. The next morning I had the blue corn pancakes with macadamia nuts syrup with a side of bacon.....guess what I had the two following mornings?? Yup I fell in love with those pancakes, and I'm so sad that I'm not able to have them again. The bacon was fabulous too....very crisp and meaty. Warning: don't add too much syrup it's very sweet and will take away from the actual pancakes. For lunch try the steak sandwich. And please don't leave without having a "Heart attack"!! Staff is very nice, the prices are reasonable and you'll definitely be satisfied.

1  Thank Nicole B
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Posada for 3 nights and ate a lot of meals there (for the lack of many other options in town). Everything we had; from quesadillas, to blue corn pancakes and fresh fish, guacamole, french onion soup, etc. was mouth wateringly delicious. To top it off, a lot of the ingredients like coffee and avocados are grown right outside in the gardens.

a few minor down sides: a) the 2 cats are allowed everywhere in the dining room; not great for people with allergies. b) service is all right; very friendly staff but may get a bit slow at times. c) one morning we were asked to leave our table so that it can be prepped for a large lunch group. We were not yet done with our breakfast yet and thought of the request to be rude.