All reviews medicinal garden hot tub small group other guests san juan living room main street richard futon guatemala sink plants pana tuk lake microwave volcano
Selected filters
Reviewed August 4, 2007

I stayed here twice with my family 4 years ago, and I still remember it very warmly. The lodging was great, of course. But what I remember the most was the wonderful hosts, Richard and Sharon. They have so much knowledge to share and they are eager to help you in so many ways... I still remember Sharon giving me some strange grapefruit-pith concoction when I got sick- it worked! They make you feel like you belong there. I have wonderful warm memories of my time there, and I hope that I'll be lucky enough to go back someday.

Date of stay: February 2003
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tara C
Reviewed January 2, 2007

Posada Los Encuentros is a gem and we had a wonderful stay there. We loved the beautiful lush grounds and attractive, clean, comfortable and private rooms, as well as the spring fed hot tub and sauna. It's close to town so we could easily walk to dinner, and it is quiet and secure. The environment is casual and friendly; we felt welcome as friends and met many interesting people there. Based on these experiences alone, Posada Los Encuentros is a great value, but there is the added value of being owned and operated by a Spanish/English speaking family, Richard, Sharon and Luke.
Since Richard is an expert on the Lake Atitlan region, having written a book on the subject, he knows many people in the area and is quite happy to help with arrangements and suggest activities. He arranged for us to meet both local artists and healers from the Mayan villages around the lake and offered his services as a travel guide. We learned so much about the people and the area from Richard. This was all a great help for us as first time visitors to Guatemala. We are now planning a second trip to Posada Los Encuentros as there is so much to do in the area and Posada Los Encuentros will provide us with the perfect central location.

Chris and Deb

Date of stay: February 2006
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank flyngmoose
Reviewed November 21, 2006

My family & I have stayed at Posada Los Encuentros on several occassions and have never been disappointed. The facilities have always been clean, the decor comfortable & inviting. The owners are very helpful and friendly always having great suggestions for a day's activity whether you are looking for something quiet or adventurous.

Date of stay: June 2004
3  Thank Debster67
Reviewed October 12, 2006

I've stayed here several times and I just keep going back! Whether traveling alone or with a small group, whether I want meditation time or a fully guided day of touring, the owners are always helpful and provide a home-away-from-home including more conviences than I imagined. It's well worth the trip!

Date of stay: March 2006
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank prairielass
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Quiet but close to everything with very attentive and knowledgeable Spanish speaking American host. A real cultural experience with great scenery, a variety of good restaurants nearby with everything reasonably priced.

Date of stay: April 2005