“A most wonderful stay”

and 1 more site!
Posada de los Volcanes
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Panajachel
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Not for those on a small budget, but if you have the funds then thisn place is A MUST STAY!!
I stayed at Posada de los Volcanes for my first week of my Guatemala visit and I couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome or more helpful, considerate and caring staff. They are incredible... particularly Julio and Francisco!
I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this establishment or the people who work there... they are all fantastic, wonderful and open people who will do anything they can (even go out of their way) to help you enjoy your time in Panajachel and Guatemala in general! Our room was immaculate, the views were impeccable and the location to the lake and all local amenities are faultless.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 13, 2011

Four of us were traveling to Guatemala for a week. Tour guide to friends who have never visited this lovely country, I knew we could do better than the normal “gringo” transportation into the highlands.

I found Julio. In his beautifully maintained van he picked us up at our hotel in Antigua, stopped at the shrine of the Hermano San Simon on our way to Chichicastenango, the largest indigenous market in Central America. He dropped us of at our posada, and the next day, as arranged, picked us up at one o’clock sharp and drove us to Panajachel where we overnighted in his lovely, centrally located posada.

I had requested a private boat tour on Lake Atitlan with stops at 2 or 3 indigenous villages for the next morning. The captain picked us up at the posada at 9 o’clock and waited for us at the village docks while we visited the indigenous shops, market place, and cooperative where we watched women spin and weave fabulous Guatemalan cloth. The private boat allowed us to spend as much or as little time as we desired.

At 2 o’clock we met with Julio for our return trip to Antigua.

Throughout, Julio answered the many questions first-time travelers in Guatemala always have, pointed out gorgeous vistas, and stopped when we wanted to stop. I have arranged for private transportation before, but this was by far the best.

The distances between our stops were great, anywhere from 1 ½ hours to 4 hours. Julio’s home base is in Panajachel, sort of in the middle of our points of interest, and he drove many miles back and forth to his home to accommodate us. It was fabulous.

He can arrange for overnight accommodations in Chichicastenango. A note of caution – unless you want to spend $125 or higher for a hotel room at the Santo Tomas or the Mayan Inn, the posadas are quite simple. We had dinner and breakfast at reasonable prices at the Santo Tomas, but I was not willing to shell out that much money for a room in which I would just sleep.

The reason for overnighting is to be in the streets when the Mayans set up their stalls, display their merchandise, complete their own shopping and bargaining, and light the fires on the steps of the church before the tour buses stream in. You may have to rough it just a little for one night, but to miss the early morning activities would be a shame.

I will not list how much we paid, because gasoline prices and other costs change, and it would be unfair to Julio to note a price. Be assured that it was fabulously inexpensive.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank dagpel
Reviewed January 17, 2011

My husband and I just spent 1 night here as a resting point after arriving in Guatemala and before heading out to another one of the villages on Lake Atitlan for our next 4 nights. It is in a perfect location, our room was absolutely spotless, and the staff was all very pleasant. The only thing that was less than perfect was that because of its location right on busy Calle Santander, there was a lot of noise and commotion at night when we were trying to get to sleep. Granted it was our first night after traveling all day from the U.S. and we were getting up early the next morning to hike Volcan San Pedro, so maybe if we had stayed out later that night we wouldn't have noticed the noise when trying to go to sleep, but if you're an early-to-bed kind of person you should bring some ear plugs! Also, the roosters started cockadoodledooing pretty early, but that wasn't a problem for us since we were getting up early to start our hike, but definitely would've been hard to sleep in. However, with all of that said, it was a lovely hotel at a great value and I would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2011

The first room I was given was very small, but that was okay because I was staying for only one night. What was bad was when I went to wash my hands in the bathroom sink and there was no hot water. I let it run for awhile with no discernible change in temperature. So I went to the front desk and a gentleman came back to the room with me. He said the hot water operated on pressure and there wasn't enough pressure in the sink. He turned on the shower, which did have hot water. He apparently expected me to wash my hands and brush my teeth in the shower. I said no and only after repeating twice that having no hot water in the sink was unacceptable did he offer to change my room. There should not have been any hesitation.

While the second room was larger than the first, the windows in both rooms were difficult to close. In fact, in the second room, I couldn't budge one half of the pane at all and then got alarmed when the entire window started to come out of the frame. When I went outside to push the frame back into place, I discovered it wasn't fastened to the wall at all. So I opted to just close the bathroom doorl Not real great for security but, as I say, I'm only staying one night, definitely will not be back, and would not recommend this hotel. I just can't believe so many people thought this was a great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank pbcguy00
Reviewed December 24, 2010

We found this hotel suggested by a tour operator when we arrived in Pana, and normally I'm skeptical but it exceeded our expectations. Why? 1) clean room and recent finishings, 2) basic but very nice features like great mattress, hand towels, etc. 3) good price, 4) Julio. He is incredibly friendly, helped us make all sorts of arrangements (without pushing a sale), and the rest of the staff are just plain happy and awesome too.

Strongly recommended, great bang for your buck if you want basic accomodations at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Pro's
~ Very clean
~ Free wireless internet, fast speed.
~ Location couldn't be more perfect. Its right on the main street where the markets are and a 5 minute walk to the docks.
~ Nice guys working the desk downstairs. He helped with our bags and booked our shuttle to Antigua which went very smooth. Also he gave us 2 bottles of free water.
~ The rooms are comfortable.

Cons
~ Beds were a bit firm but some people might consider this a pro. I put an extra blanket under me for extra cushioning.
~ There is a empty strip mall across the street that plays loud music. They stopped it well before bedtime which was nice but started back up early in the morning around 7am.
~ The maids were very nice but noisy in the morning. As you can tell I am not a morning person. They started sweeping down the stairwell (which my room was beside) at around 7:30am. One of them wanted us to check out early so that she could clean our room but we told her that check out wasn't until noon so we would be leaving our things there while we went shopping in town. She was ok with it in the end.
~ No free breakfast (we paid $25 USD)

Overall, a very nice stay. I would recommend it and would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed here one night while at Lake Atitlan. Julio, the owner, gave us the best room (on the fourth floor; n.b. this is a walk-up--no lift) with a great view of Volcan San Pedro. The room was spacious & clean; there's wi-fi; the bathroom had hot water. Nothing fancy, but totally adequate and pleasant. The receptionist was super helpful--stored our bags while we were gone, confirmed our shuttle back to Antigua, etc. Our room was on the back, so we didn't hear too much noise from the street, but we were awakened very early by a rooster crowing from the yard behind (personally I'd rather be woken early than kept up late, so it wasn't a dealbreaker). There's a little table and chairs outside on the open hallway, where you can sit and enjoy the view.

Pana is pretty touristy--we were there just as a stopping point to visit other towns. But Posada de los Volcanes was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends