“I am eager to return. I loved this hotel!”

Porta Hotel Del Lago
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Panajachel
GreenLeadersGold level
Miami, Florida
“I am eager to return. I loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

I had first seen this property on my trip to Panajachel about 5 years ago and even though I did not stay here I wanted to check it out. When the opportunity to return to Pana came up I knew this was the place I wanted to be. I had one of the corner suites and I don't think you could find any better view of the lake. You will see lots and lots of pictures here and the photos don't lie, it is just an amazing view. The hotel was clean, the grounds are well maintained, I had very little interaction with the staff but they were friendly and efficient. One day there was a temporary problem with the elevator and the man in the front quickly noticed and showed us the service elevator to use so we wouldn't have to climb up to the 5th floor. While I didn't eat there I did see the food (they had a buffet that seemed popular) and it looked good. There is a free cocktail, (the hotel special) but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are fond of cucumber... we only took a sip of ours and left them. I travel with bottled water but there was filtered water just outside our door we could have used. The room safe was on the smaller side compared to the ones I have seen but certainly big enough to hold your passport, money, or jewelery etc. The bed was comfortable and from my bed I had a view of the lake without even getting up. During the day there is so much natural light that fills the room that during the evening it seems a bit dark even though there are a lot of lights, I suspect this is because the hotel is using energy efficient bulbs that are not as bright.
I only had 3 nights at the Porta but in all honesty I would have liked several more. I walked around the streets both day and night and felt perfectly safe, there are wonderful little restaurants all along the main streets, many with lake views, and the shopping is good too with prices cheaper than in the capital or in Antigua. I hope to go back in a few months and will make a point to eat there so I can evaluate the food. A big thank you to the staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bedlammanor
AnaMariaH561, Gerente at Porta Hotel Del Lago, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear bedlamman
Thank you for sharing your great experience during your stay at Porta Hotel del Lago.
I do hope that we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon and please do remember to visit our official website for all our best available rates and packages. Once again, thank you so much for this wonderful comment on Tripadvisor!

Ana Ma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

Every single room has a fabulous view of the lake (best of course on the upper floors) and the hotel is perfectly located! The staff is super friendly & helpful, their restaurant is delicious and not expensive. Location, location, location... Simply walk a couple of blocks and you are at the start of the main street where all the artisan shops are located, then you can return to the hotel (in a very quiet area) for a drink at the bar. (Best I know all other lake front hotels require a taxi ride to the shopping area but I could be wrong - check it out.)

Then of course shopping in Panajachel is a delight compared to the zoo-madness and price gouging at Chichicastenango - Enjoy!

Room Tip: Every single room has a fabulous view of the lake, best of course on the upper floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AnaMariaH561, Gerente at Porta Hotel Del Lago, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear rodrigt
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Porta Hotel del Lago. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room with a beautiful view of Lake Atitlán.
I am delighted to hear that you found Porta Hotel del Lago to be perfect in every way. We aim to provide the best service possible, going above and beyond our guests’ expectations.
Ana María
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I live in Panajachel and chose the Porta for my parents' and my aunt's visit. They booked corner suites, which were both lovely and had amazing views. They loved waking up to these views each day and also watching the sunset from the balconies. Since this was their favorite place for sunset, I usually came over after work to watch it with them before we went out for dinner. I also stayed one night on the pull out couch when the electricity was out in my apartment. We paid the hotel rate for an extra guest in the room for that night. There are many average things about the hotel, but the view made up for them all. My parents also really enjoyed the breakfast each morning and quite a few staff members were incredibly helpful. HOWEVER, on their last day (after a week of staying at the Porta), I went to the hotel at about 10:00am to help them pack up before their shuttle arrived. This was my last few hours with them after a really incredible visit (their first to Guatemala). But when I entered the hotel, the doorman stopped me and asked me if I was a member (they have a "gym" and pool, so lots of locals sign up to be members in order to use these amenities). I said no and that my parents were staying there. He said if I wasn't a guest myself, then I couldn't go up to see them. He was rude and very unfriendly. I was in shock and tried my best to explain that I had been visiting briefly every day, but never once used their amenities, and that I just wanted to see my parents. He said they could come down to the lobby or restaurant to see me, but that I was not allowed to go up to see them. Even if they came down to see me, I was not allowed to return up with them. So I went to the front desk expecting to find a rational person who would tell me otherwise, but no. The only person there was a woman who had given us poor service once before. She agreed with the doorman and said it was hotel policy and that I could not go upstairs if I was not a guest. I was really frustrated because it was my parents' last morning and I only had a couple hours left with them before they left Guatemala. After I made quite a fuss, she finally told me in a very rude way that I could go up, but only because they were about to leave. Very strange!!! This incredibly rude service was such a terrible way to end their stay at the Porta. It is such a shame because so many of the other staff members there were wonderful. But unfortunately, the behavior and ridiculous rule (if it's even true) left a lasting impression on us. My future guests will not be staying at the Porta unless this rule is clarified.

Room Tip: The suites on the ends are very nice, although my parents' bathroom often had a stench of sewage...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kiki-sandiego
AnaMariaH561, Gerente at Porta Hotel Del Lago, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear kiki-sand
We thank you for sharing your comments and observations on your experience at Porta Hotel del Lago.
We apologize for the inconvenience, we are aware that each of the comments made were taken to improve our service.

Gerente Residente
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Yes, the property is a little dated, but it has been very well maintained and was very clean. I understand they will be undergoing a renovation at some point. It has a great location, close to the main street and right on the lake. All rooms face the water so everyone has a great view. Service was fantastic, they were so helpful and friendly, even with my inability to speak spanish I only wish I had a better grasp on the language as I would have gotten so much more out of my visit. The food at breakfast was good though a bit a expensive. It was a very family orientated hotel and largely visited by Guatemalans (at least while I was there) which was lovely as I got to speak with and meet locals but if you are traveling wishing to meet other travellers this is not going to be the place for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Never ever stay in this Hotel. The pictures can fool anyone, they sure did me. We stayed from 1, 2 and 3 of Noverber, to "relax" for the Hollyday in Guatemala. BIG MISTAKE.
The room was horrible, EVERYTHING in the Hotel is OLD, but the room was the worst. The TV was from like 20 years ago, the beds were unconfortable, the noise was extreme, it was literaly imposible to sleep. No breakfast included, the elavador was scary to use. The carpets in the halls were dirty and smell bad. The staff only clean our room one of the 3 days. It was the WORTS HOTEL WE HAVE EVER SATAYED AT. We LOVE to travel and we decided to stay in Guatemala for a change instead of going to another country, Hotel Porta meade us regret the decition. The ONLY positive thing was it's location.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johapalma
AnaMariaH561, Gerente at Porta Hotel Del Lago, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Johapalma,

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion with us.

Please accept our apologies for not satisfy your requests as expected, we are sorry you got a bad impression about the our facilities.
Your comments are taken into consideration to take the necessary actions to improve our quality of facilities.
In 2013 we remodeled 60 rooms and elevators, we are continue remodeling our facilities so your comments are welcome.

Warm wishes,
Ana María
Gerente
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Very nice room with balcony and great view of the lake. Fine restaurant with even more view. The lobby has no seating but, just behind the tour desks is a "sort of lobby". Good room tv reception in our room but only iffy wi-fi. This should be improved easily by adding a booster to the roof of the center restaurant building. All the rooms are on multiple floors curved area around this building. Many foreign travelers keep touch with home by email using wi-fi on portable devices.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
AnaMariaH561, Gerente at Porta Hotel Del Lago, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Casertast
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, comments like yours are a valuable tool for our continued pursuit of excellence. We will follow up your internet service comment.
Resident Manager
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We came to Porta Hotel while spending time on the lake for breakfast. We were staying at a villa with no breakfast included and very few activities for kids. Visiting Porta Hotel in Antigua numerous times before we kind of had an idea of what to expect. And we love the Antigua resort. So we decided to visit the one on the lake, hoping it would be just as good and full of activities for our kids.

We were surprised. It was better and had more games, bigger pool and the views were simply to die for.

Another big difference was that the breakfast was a la carte, unlike Antigua's buffet breakfast. And honestly, it was way better. Huge, homemade portions.

After we ate, we hung out for 2 hours enjoying the views of the lake while our kids burned their energy and played in the pool.

You can see better pictures of what to do and also the breakfasts served on my blog Travel Experta.

Even if you're staying in another hotel, this is a great place to kick back, eat well and have your kids totally enjoy themselves.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family