“Top choice in Pana for 15 years running”
Review of Rancho Grande Inn

and 1 more site!
Rancho Grande Inn
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Panajachel
Reviewed January 30, 2007

Some of the reviews here suggest that folks came to Panajchel with unrealistic expectations. You won´t find luxury in Pana -- even in the appropriately highly rated Hotel Atitlan. And you certainly won´t find it at the vastly overrated Del Lago. At the Rancho Grande Inn, however, you will find -- as we have for the past 15 years -- a wonderfully hospitable, clean, authentic B&B type accommodation that is, by far, the best for the price on all of Lake Atitlan. The owner, Marlita, is delightful. Her staff, which has remained remarkably constant over the years, makes you feel welcome from the moment you arrive. The pancakes at breakfast are to die for; even people who aren´t staying here come from miles around for the justly famous breakfast. It´s true -- some of the rooms are a little dark and the TV screens are small, but who comes to the most beautiful spot in Guatemala to sit in the room and watch TV? Forget the nitpicky advice from people who obviously haven´t done much traveling in Central America. The Rancho Grande Inn gets an A+ from us.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank RVS798

Reviewed October 29, 2006

Part of a large group that took ~6 rooms. Gave me a chance to look in multiple rooms. Luck of the draw, I drew the dark dingy room described in a previous posting. Other rooms were spacious and brighter. The shower was barely functional at times. I was barely able to get wet in the shower, until I spun off the extreme water-saving showerhead. The next problem was lack of hot water, but that wasn't a problem if you got in before your neighbors. The bed was rock hard, and the lighting was indeed marginal. I used my headlight to read [don't travel to 3rd world countries without one]. The television in the room had probably a 9 inch screen, other rooms had much larger screens. Picnic table immediately outside our room was the scene of late night loud group parties. I kept moving the table to the other end of the front porch, but they kept moving it back in front of our door.

• Stayed: June 2006
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank 82nd_Airborne
Reviewed September 9, 2006

This was given rave reviews by several guidebooks, especially because of the separate bungalows. It seems, however, it may depend which bungalow you get. While my bungalow was indeed spacious, there were bugs in the bathroom and it was inches away from the street so very noisy. Despite reserving through email, they also lost my reservation but still found me a room.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank Wander25
Reviewed January 7, 2006

I was very disappointed with Rancho Grande Inn. My room was small, dark and dingy with a bathroom that had mold growing on the shower curtain and in the cracks in the wall and floor. I made this reservation several months before my travel,so it is not as though I arrived on site hoping for a vacancy.

I requested information about the ferries on the lake and instead of being given schedule and price information I was told that a private tour for $70.00 was best. Clearly the tour was offered by a family member of the staff.

The breakfast is indeed delicious. However when it was time to check out, I was told that it was not included in the room rate and was presented a bill for much more money than I had originally negotiated at the time I reserved the room.

My experiences in Guatemala have been fantastic. This hotel is the only hotel in which I encountered a sub standard room and unpleasant staff.

• Stayed: January 2006
8  Thank Robin L
A TripAdvisor Member
Guatemala
Reviewed October 20, 2005

My husband and I made a reservation, in this hotel, to have a romantic time in Panajachel. We talked to the manager (Christine Kennedy) and we arranged our stay.

Eventhough we gave our credit card number, and we had made the reservation, when we arrived they told us we didn't have any reservation at all. That was why I asked the lady to call the manager, so she could arrenged something for us, but.... BIG MISTAKE!!!

When she talked to me, the first thing she told me was: "I'm very busy, this has been the only time I have to go to the bathroom" I was shocked because that was more information, that I even wanted to hear. So I said: "Excuse me?" and she continue repeating the same thing: "I am in the toilet seat" When I could finally asked her if we had the reservation, she said that she didn't have a room for us, and that there was nothing she could do.

My advise, NEVER GO TO RANCHO GRANDE IN!

• Stayed: June 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 26, 2005

This is the hotel where celebrities who want to spend a quite and classy time go. Robert Redford was there, and lots of other celebrities who have wanted to keep this place private(Of course!They want it all to themselves). It is very clean, classily decoratyed, it is not near the beach, but they will take you to thebest places and their personnel is so friendly. Lonely Planetsays it is the best place to sstay, and my husband. Their included breakfasts are exquisite. The decor is sooo classy. You should read their guest book. The service is very personal and it's quiet, the gardens are huge and well kempt, so I'm wondering why it is not listed in your best list in Panajachel. It is a find!

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank Volcanoesandlakes
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 9, 2004

A well-cared for hotel with an European flavor. The German pancakes for breakfast are great! It is a few blocks from the lake, The rooms are separate from each other, some with fireplaces. Room 7 is the best!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member