“Great grounds and breakfast”
Review of Rancho Grande Inn

and 1 more site!
Rancho Grande Inn
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Panajachel
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Rancho Grande in May. This is our fourth stay over a period of 10 years. The grounds are as beautiful as ever and the breakfast is delicious. To keep up their positivereputation, we recommend that they get some stronger lights in the room as we could barely read, and update the bed linens as ours had some tears. We'll be back on future trips.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary L

Reviewed March 21, 2012

From the first phone call, the Staff at Rancho Grande were attentive and professional. They were willing to negotiate rates for a longer stay, were helpful in arranging reliable transportation from Guatemala City and had connections on call for paragliding and other activities. Everyone was wiling to serve, whether it be extra pancakes (the ones everyone has raved about!) or allowing a later check-out because the children were still napping.
The grounds are beautiful, including swings and a pool and most rooms are very pleasant. The price scale is a little higher than what we normally use, so I would hope that in the future the bathrooms are painted and the towels are newer so that 'quaint yet luxurious' expectation one has for the price is fully validated. If you can't afford the hotel, at least pop by and see if they'll sell you that stellar breakfast!

Room Tip: Ask for furtherest from the road to minimize traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 5LovingLife
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Very clean, nice view and beautiful lawns and flowers. Excellent price and AMAZING breakfast... fresh orange juice, honey and coffee from their own plantation and the best corn pancakes ever!
highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JabbelDallas_Texas
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed at the hotel Rancho Grande for 3 nights, recuperating from a terrible back problem.

The staff were there to greet me and were aware of my medical ailment and were very helpful. They had secured the services of a back specialist who started treatment 2 hours after I arrived. The staff looked after me wonderfully and were very supportive indeed.

My room was in a private large garden located on a quiet street leading down to the harbour. The room was in fact equivalent to a beach hut in look and size. The bed was enormous, the bathroom although not stylish was a good size with a large walk in shower. I had a TV in my room with a bag load of channels. The room was carpeted, unusual, by was immaculately clean and gave it a home feeling.

The breakfast was to die for. Those pancakes were the most delicious I have ever eaten in my entire life!

The location of the hotel was perfect. Easy walk to the harbour and far enough away but still close enough to walk to the busy Mayan markets, bars and restaurants etc.

It helps if you can speak a little spanish as only one person could speak good english.

I would definitely go back here, if just to take a slow walk down to the harbour and watch the most amazing sunsets over lake atitlan.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Our family of 6 along with another family of 5 spent time at the Rancho Grande. Honestly, you will not find a better hotel for the price. The breakfast is amazing, absolutely delicious pancakes, the best ever! Everything was clean and the yards were well kept. We lived close to Panajachel for awhile and really truly you will not get a better place to stay!

Room Tip: You may be able to negotiate the price.
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank terrykeithsmom
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We stayed two nights in late Feb. 2011. The pluses were the location, the cleanliness, and the care of the grounds. We were in a small cottage and had a deck that overlooked the lawns. The breakfast (included) was excellent coffee, scrambled eggs, fresh buns, wonderful pancakes and, of course. black beans. The only negative...no hot water when we arrived, but a maintaince man was soon on site and fixed the problem.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My husband, myself, and our 3 school-aged children had traveled to Panajachel in order to visit a non-profit which supports Mayan girls' schooling. We'd collected a suitcase of needed school supplies to bring this organization based in Panajachel. Our stay at the Rancho Grande Inn came at the end of our Guatemala trip.
Prior to this, we had lived for 3 weeks with a Guatemalan family in Antigua and attended Spanish Language school each day. This was both a wonderful and challenging experience. Our homestay did not have consistent hot water and the food we ate with our host family was the local fare. Basically after 3 weeks of sleeping fairly poorly in one room and having to walk outside for our showers, we were sorely in need of a nice place to wash up and rest for two nights.
Rancho Grande Inn's description and price tag suggested it would fit our needs. We reserved their casita for our family of 5. We arrived after dinner and everyone was dying for a warm shower. Unfortunately the water was only cold. We informed the management about the problem. They worked on it for a while and declared it fixed. We tried again, the shower was still cold. They offered us another empty room to shower in. That water was cold too.
At this point, I went to the office and told the hotel owner that $130 was a lot of money to pay for a room without hot water and I was requesting some sort of discount. The owner, who was bilingual in English and Spanish, told me she never gives discounts and that she found it hard to believe that the water was still cold. Then she said, "I mean, did you really come here for the hot water?" After the experience we'd had at our 3 week homestay, I felt like yelling, Yes!
The next day the owner said to my husband that they realized that I wasn't making the water story up, that something was wrong and they'd work on fixing it. They did have someone come out that day, but after this, we only had hot water for our first child's shower.
Beside the hot water issue, this hotel was comfortable, though fairly dark. The sheets and pillows were nice. The breakfasts (included in the hotel price) were delicious. However, it was hard to be treated so rudely by the owner, still not have hot water, and have to pay an expensive price in the end.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family