“Foodie meal on a shoestring budget”
Review of Chinitas

Chinitas
Ranked #23 of 81 Restaurants in Panajachel
Cuisines: Malaysian
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We tried a few things on their menu, and everything was interesting and delicious. This was one of our best meals in the country, and the price was great for the quality of food and service. As other reviewers mention, we were also pestered during our meal by people selling things, but this seemed somewhat inescapable in Pana. Highly recommended for dinner!

1  Thank Onabudgettraveler

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I have eaten here several times and each time the food has been good. The seating is in a cute little courtyard with several other restaurants and shops. It would be easy to miss when passing by. The owner is very nice and friendly to talk to if you want to know anything about the area. One thing in particular I remember having is some kind of chicken curry soup that was delicious. One thing that is annoying is all the people that come up to you during your meal to try and sell you things, and they don't like to take no for an answer. You will find this everywhere here.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Great Chinese food. Owner Ling Tan is fluent in English and is involved with many educational activities in Pana. Convenient and a good place to stop for a snack or full dinner. Musical entertainment some evenings. Tell Ling that Pablo from NYS sent you

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I know, I know, I shouldn't eat asian food in Central America, but I had a craving & saw the asian owner so I had a very small hope it could just be ok or even good. But I should never break my own rules ( asian myself) because asian food at this restaurant is just bad. Anyone who think the asian food here is good has seriously never eaten in a good or even average asian restaurant before. Their idea of asian food in this restaurant is pour a whole bottle of soy on the dish with no other seasoning. It was so bad my husband refuse to let me try his dish! I order a chew mein & it was equally bad. However, to be fair the restaurant itself had a relaxing nice courtyard & service was fine. ( Thats why it gets 'poor' instead of 'terrible' from my review) Just bad, bad asian food. My own fault for even trying or hope that it could be good, so can't blame the restaurant for serving bad asian food, I really shouldn't sit down in the first place, because unlike Japanese restaurant where if you see Japanese owner, you would usually get authentic food, that is almost NEVER the case with Malay/ Chinese/ fusion asian!!! If you must go to this restaurant, do yourself a favour & order pasta instead.

1  Thank Fairyland_Goddess
Reviewed March 3, 2013

In most cases it is not the best idea to go to a restaurant from another continent, especially not in latin america - food is normally not very typical but customized to the local taste. Here it is a bit similar.
The food is ok - asian, but for my taste too much sauce added to the dishes.
But in no way it is a fusion of asian with guatemaltecan food as some of the the review say. They serve asian dishes, sandwiches and some local tastes as well, but no fusion of the two cuisines.
I think it is a good option if you need a different taste after some time in latin america but do not expect something special.