“Slice of Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chalet Tony

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panajachel
Chalet Tony
Austin, TX
“Slice of Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

I spent one month at Chalet Tony on the recommendation of friends. The room, the grounds, the fellow guests, the staff, and the proprietor Marion were all wonderful. The room I had for one month was plenty big enough to accommodate an occasional guest who came to visit me, had a well stocked kitchen and a clean bath. I spent my time there writing and overlooking the beautiful grounds from my big picture window, reading in the hammock, or hiking around the lake. I couldn't think of a better place to do so. It also feels very safe but not like you are in a compound, only secure enough to not worry about your things if you left all day. My every need was met and I felt totally welcome and at home during my stay. I recommended Chalet Tony to all my friends back home and will continue to do so. You can't beat the charm, beauty, service, privacy, location and value in Pana. I would never stay anywhere else when there.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank bar2150

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

Chalet Tony in Panajachel is close to all the shopping, restaurant and night life action yet tucked away inside a flowered paradise so guests can leave all the hustle and bustle behind and chill with a drink on the terrace, a book in the garden, a nap midday in a hammock. Rooms are spacious, airy, clean and comfy with kitchenettes and bathrooms. The owner is helpful and delightfully warm, with a competent staff and fellow guests are friendly as well. I have stayed here for years on my own or with friends. Recently I brought down a group and, to a one, they loved the warm, homey feeling of Chalet Tony and wouldn't have traded it for a luxury hotel.

• Stayed November 2008
2 Thank toastindiana
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

I have stayed at the Chalet Tony for many years now, coming several times a year on business. I have always had a very enjoyable stay there. This is not a hotel, but apartments that are normally rented on a monthly basis. I have stayed both upstairs and down and both have their own unique views and ambiance. Upstairs, a gorgeous view of the volcanoes and lake and downstairs, the inner sanctum of a gorgeous garden area, private and lush, which is faithfully attended on a daily basis by Santiago, the grounds keeper. Marion, the owner, is always dedicated to ensuring the comfort and needs of her tenants are met. It has been my home away from home for 5 years now. I work in an Indigenous community nearby and at the end of the day coming to the safety, community and private setting is a luxury that always restores me. On top of that, the sounds of nature that such beautiful gardens attract, woodpeckers, hummingbirds, peacocks, (yes, peacocks!) and insects are a delight and certainly an improvement to the noises of traffic and horns honking. Guatemala is a country with many problems and overwhelming poverty. Travellers should not expect the trappings and standards of home unless they are willing to pay hundreds of dollars a night in Guatemala City's high end hotels. I have recommended Chalet Tony to many people and will continue to do so.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Ayudamos
Appleton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

We will be returning to Chalet Tony for the 3rd time next month. It is so restful. The facility is more like a garden apartment than a hotel. (and there is hot and cold running water in both the bathroom and kitchen!) There is plenty of space, the grounds are beautiful, there is a security gate, it is central to just about anything in Panajachel and you can feel at home there. The staff is always smiling, courteous and helpful. The only reason I'd tell you not to stay there is if there was only one vacancy - because I'd wanted it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank readysetgone
ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

I was totally disgusted with the comments/lies made by some woman in San Fransisco on the Chalet Tony. I sure would not ever hire this person to give a hotel review because the woman is obviously not stable. The Chalet Tony is a lovely place and highly recommended, mostly because of the beauty of the hotel, but also because there are only five rooms that are strictly rented on a monthly basis giving the place a true family feeling. The Chalet Tony is a charming hotel. The rooms are large and have all of the necessary facilities, small kitchen, very comfortable beds, fireplace and excellent service. The grounds are beautifully kept and the gardens are full of tropical plants, including a collection of orchards.
I have stayed at Chalet Tony annually since I was lucky enough to find the place in 1998. The owner and staff are most gracious and you will feel comfortable and secure. Take it from a woman who has been around the world on her own. When my friend's visited with their family they were so thrilled with the beauty of the place that they renamed it "The Rancho Relaxo"

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank riggs52
wild4sunflowers
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

We stayed at Chalet Tony repeatedly during our 3 month winter vacation in Guatemala. We found Chalet Tony to offer an atmosphere of home away from home. During our repeated stays we stayed in various rooms and found all of them specious, well equipped and clean. The location is excellent being close to the Lake Atitlan and town's main attractions, restaurants and bars. We especially enjoyed the beautiful park like gardens, and the sounds of birds for us go together with being in the tropics. We found the owner very accommodating and helpful in providing guidance to the area and meeting many of our other needs, often not related with the stay

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wild4sunflowers
québec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

My wife and me stayed at Chalet Tony 3 months last winter and are returning there for the same period this year. We like: the size and the cleanliness of the room, the beautifull garden surrounding the hotel, the kindness and efficacity of the personnel ( service with a smile), the location of the hotel and Marion, the owner, who is always there making sure that her customers are fully satisfied.
Price/quality, the best place in Panajachel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple