“Beautiful place and nice crew”
Review of Villas Balam Ya

Villas Balam Ya
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Panajachel
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Our family of three had a lovely stay here. The house was gorgeous and the views were wonderful. We had someone come in to cook dinner all three nights, and we enjoyed having her stay to eat with us. Leslie was very helpful and kind with all or our questions and requests. The property itself is very beautiful. You need to be in shape to go up and down to the main road! There is a resident dog that is very friendly. It rained very had when we were there, and there were several leaks from above. I didn't find one of them until I started to pack and realized the clothes and suitcase in the closet were quite wet! I would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JoanMarietta_GA

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Totally enjoyed my stay here. The lake vista is gorgeous, the kitchen meant to I could cook some of the things I was craving (been traveling 2 months at this point), the bed was one of the best I have experienced in Central America and there was a bath I could soak in. It's close to town but feels like its in the middle of no where.
Having arrived earlier than planned Rosa (cleaning lady) let me in once she had finished with my cottage (Jade). The few times I needed something after that Lesly was either in the office or I got a hold of using the cell provided.
There were some minor issues like the bathroom not being cleaned and my pre-organized massage never happening (though didnt think to ask to confirm once I arrived so maybe as much my fault). Also, it takes forever to run a bath and I suggest only turning on the hot tap and boiling water in the kettle, microwave and on the stove as well to get something still hot enough.
Overall, not only would I recommend this place but would also stay here again if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank elm01au
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My family and I had the unique experience of staying two nights at the Villa Balam Ya. The accommodations, scenery, and staff were wonderful, especially the Manager, Lesly. We chose to have all our meals prepared by the staff. The food was excellent. What a GREAT experience!!

Room Tip: Best Lake View and Access at Villa Balam Ya
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in Villa Bambu. Precious house, views, and private gardens! We cannot imagine a better place at the lake. The views from all over the house are amazing. The service is great.
It's like heaven on earth.
Joaquim,Netherlands

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Joaquim S
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We had an extraordinary stay at the original Villa B'alam Ya which has a spectacular view of the lake, Toliman and Atitlán volcanoes and Cerro de Oro. The villa itself is exquisitely designed and spacious, with every amenity. There are multiple levels of seating areas – balconies and patios from the top bedroom all the way down to the lake, surrounded by gorgeous foliage and landscape. Lesly, the manager of the Villas, is an excellent and charming hostess and we were fortunate that she joined us on a trip to Chichicastenango on market day. It was a marvelous treat to have Lucia prepare a gourmet yet authentic Guatemalan dinner for us for the two nights we were guests. We loved the shrimp, fish, traditional chicken stew and chile relleno dishes. The villa is so comfortable and heavenly that we did not want to leave it to explore the surrounding areas. This is definitely the place to stay when visiting Lake Atitlán.

Room Tip: We loved the original Villa B'alam Ya as it is closest to the lake with a private walkway. It is...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed in B'alam Ya for two nights this week. Our experience mirrors all of the other positive reviews of others. Our experience was the opposite of "Disappointed." Manager Lesly was welcoming, gracious and most professional. She came immediately in the evening for a repair job and tracked down the pilot of our boat cruise when he'd gone to lunch thinking we'd be be spending more time exploring one of the lake villages. And, when one of us had a minor accident after we'd left the property, Lesly and Rosa and the rest of the staff were gracious to open the Villa up again to allow change of clothes, band-aids, etc.

As wonderful as the villa is, the food is even better. Rosa and Lucia are wonderful cooks and delightful personalities. Amazing, too that single rowing sculls are available for guest use. (If you're note an experienced rower, best stick with the also-available kayaks.)

Step off your busy planet for a few days of true indulgent relaxation.

One tip: Some of the most comfortable seating does not have good lighting for reading, so if you are reading an "old fashioned" book, bring a little book light with you.

Room Tip: Some of the villas involve LOTS of stairs. The website makes note of which ones are the most access...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank i10q
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My family and I decided to travel around Guatemala while the snow is gone. So we had a wonderful stay in Balamya, the staff was just perfect. They did their best to make us feel welcome. The manager Leslie help us to arrange transportation and tours, she also help us to prepare a birthday party for my little boys, so we had a piñata and a cake to celebrate. Then we had dinners in the house, lucia came to cook and we were just amazed on the quality of the food. Our trip was just terrific, will come back next year again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family