“Best meal, best price”

Ranked #9 of 84 Restaurants in Panajachel
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Read about this in Lonely PLanet - tokk a while to find on this noisy bisy street but what a gem - great meals - even the vegetarian ones though you have to go if you like meat - huge portions, no fat, so tender and the vegies (and I am very picky) cooked to perfection (with bite!). The waiter has been there forever, all is cooked by one busy lady and most nights there is life music.
Avpid the table by the sink - yes - all open plan....

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Guajimbo's charm is its location, but most importantly, the waiter who has been 14 years. He takes your order with distinct charm. The food was well received by all. I would suggest if there are two, share a steak and the special salad. That is more than enough for two.

1  Thank JoEllen S
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I would never have eaten here under other circumstances. I'm vegetarian, and the huge portions of meat are anything but a draw for me.

However, my partner is a musician who plays here regularly and I often sing with him. So, I gave in and looked for something I'd want to eat.

Imagine my surprise when I found that they offer several vegetarian dishes.

The tofu sandwich is good, but I rarely want the white bread roll it comes on. The salads are mediocre.

However, the vegetarian kebob is great. Big chunks of tofu, tomato, red pepper and onion grilled on a skewer. It's served with a generous portion of very good guacamole, and the tortillas are fresh and hot. The side vegetables are uninspired and bland. It should be enough food for two people, but somehow I always manage to eat it all!

The owners are both musicians and they have live music every night. They get extra points from me just for that.

There are often large groups here. If you come in right after a large group you may have to wait a bit to be served. Overall, however, I've found their service to be better than other places in Panajachel.

So come in and enjoy the music, the huge portions, and the view of the people going by in the heart of the tourist area.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had two dinners there and were totally satisfied with food, staff and live music! Friendly owner. Only that seats are definitly not top comfort!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Since I was in Pana, I (we - 22 of us) went straight to Guajimbo's for the best food in town. I had the Martin Fierre steak - enormous with a topping of cheese and olives, etc. It was perfectly cooked and accompanied with delicious boiled potatoes and lightly steamed vegetables.

Two guys shared the gigantic "meat platter for two" and could barely finish it. They loved the steak, pork chops, chorizo, and chicken breasts. The rest of the group enjoyed fish, the filets, and chicken.

The live entertainment was awesome: three folks singing and playing the blues.

MUY RICO!