“Must Pay to Enter but Gorgeous Setting”

Hotel Atitlan Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 85 Restaurants in Panajachel
Cuisines: Central American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nominated by Travel + Leisure; "World's Best Awards 2011".This charming hacienda-style hotel is a formerworking coffee farm situated on the shores of Lake Atitlan, with a picture perfect view of volcanoes San Pedro, Tolimán and Atitlan. Highlighting numerous unique Guatemalan traditions with its colorful and vibrant interior, each room is individually decorated with hand-woven fabrics and carpets, handcrafted furniture, paintings and tile floors. All rooms have private balconies and breathtaking views of the lake. The swimming pool and Jacuzzi overlook the entire lake and the hotel’s magnificent wedding, tropical and rose gardens. The Botanical Gardens of Hotel Atitlán are a true garden lover’s paradise. Bird-watching is a popular pastime within its botanical gardens. Enjoy a cocktail or a refreshing tea from the selection of tea infusions by the fire in the hotel’s bar, and dine in an elegant setting where you will savor regional and international cuisine. You can’t miss this beautiful Hotel!!!
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We decided to have lunch here after our zip lining outing since it's so close to the Nature Reserve. The hotel itself is in a secluded cove on the lake with outstanding views, so it seemed like a good idea. I must say though, that if I hadn't been warned about what happened next, I probably would have turned around and left.

Apparently, in an effort to keep "gawkers" or "look-e-loos" out of the hotel, they impose a $55Q per person fee just to enter. If you stay and eat or drink, they will apply it towards that, but otherwise, they keep it. Even knowing this was going to happen, I thought it was one of the most rude and impersonal welcomings to a hotel I have ever experienced. Not very classy for a sophisticated place, in my opinion.

In any event, we paid up and had a lovely private table out on the patio. The hotel has gone to great lengths to create an unbelievably gorgeous landscaping design. The cobalt blue pool, limpressive gardens, and local artwork and table cloths, combined with the amazing view, make for a very relaxing environment in which to have a leisurely lunch.

We had the french onion soup and black bean soup respectively. My fiance didnt care for how salty the onion soup was, and I didn't care for the way they blended all the beans up so it was only broth, so we switched and each enjoyed the others soup fine.

My main course was the tuna salad stuffed avocado, which was delicious. But my fiance got robbed. He ordered nachos with guacamole and only got a plate of chips with guac dip. When we asked the waitress she said that's nachos. Well, um, not where we're from, and we've had nachos all over Guat, and they've never been like that either.

All in all, we enjoyed our lunch here. We expected their prices to be higher but thought they were pretty reasonable considering the status of the hotel. Would recommend it but be prepared for the greeting you will get.

3  Thank WealthShips

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were passing on the way back from visiting Panajachel Nature Reserve and thought we'd stop for lunch. You just can't help but be seduced by the beautiful botanical gardens and the unspoilt view of Lake Atitlan. My girlfriend said she felt like we'd stumbled onto the set of "The Talented Mr Ripley" which summed the ambience up perfectly! I had the Atitlan Salad with Warm Chicken which was excellent, very fresh, tasty and filling. This place seems to be the only option if you're looking for a genuinely class outfit for lunch in Pana as unfortunately the centre has been overdeveloped and mostly offers tacky eateries catering for tourists with little attention to detail.

I should mention that you have to pay Q55 per person entry fee to the gardens, but this is taken off your lunch bill. So don't go expecting to spend Q20 on a coffee in order to get reduced entry into the gardens... Better to go and spoil yourself with lunch and get the full experience!

2  Thank travellingfoodie123
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Since I was visiting the gardens and it was convenient I chose to stay and have light lunch. Felt overpriced for fairly typical tourist food. Not bad..however not good.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Great food for any meal. Very fresh! The paninis are especially tasty for lunch. The prices are reasonable for a resort.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We loved it... was convenient to stay at the hotel and eating there was a plus... the ambience is very peaceful and romantic. Food is tasteful and the service is great!