“Absolutely wonderful!”

Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa
Ranked #31 of 55 Hotels in Lake Atitlan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 29, 2014

The time I spent at TOSA La Laguna was absolutely wonderful! The weather was great, the food was the most nourishing and delicious. I enjoyed my absolutely gorgeous room close to the water, and I did swim at the lake a lot. The water in the lake feel absolutely wonderful - like a liquid silk, and almost surreal. I enjoyed on-site SPA services, and my massage and facial felt wonderful. I returned home feeling completely restored, relaxed, and rejuvenated! I would definitely recommend that magical place for everyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
TOSALL, Guest Services Coordinator at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2014

Hello Maria!...We are so happy to know that you had a wonderful stay here at TOSA La Laguna and we are looking forward to have you back in our hotel. Until your next amazing TOSA La Laguna experience, a hidden gem in Lake Atitlan. All the best from your TOSA La Laguna team. :)

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We made a last minute booking for this place (I mean super last minute). Javier was super quick to respond and help us set up travel arrangements to the lodge. It ended up being super simple to get to. We shared a boat with the son of the goddess who works there (Flor) as he was leaving school for the weekend. He was adorable and very helpful. The boat driver was great. As we were pulling up I noticed three people leaving the main building (the community center) holding some beverages. When our boat docked they greeted us and handed us the first delicious beverage we would have there. Javier is awesome! He is super smart and down to earth. Flor is a goddess (she was rocking an awesome fedora). There were two other women there as well and they were both extremely friendly and helpful. After handing us our drinks we were guided to a deck where we received the best foot massages of our lives. Such an unexpected treat. We were also handed some yummy snacks to nibble on while Javier walked us through the check in process. At one point, the hubs started choking on a snack (because we were inhaling them) and right away someone grabbed him water without either of us asking. We were then taken to our room, the Zen Dome. It was stunning. We looked at the beautiful floor for a good five minutes. Everything was perfect. Once we got settled in we went down for a quick swim in the beautiful lake and dinner. Oh my gosh! It was one of the best meals we have ever had. It started with a delicious smoothie, then came this unreal soup (my favorite thing I ate), then we had eggplant with goat cheese, out of this world green beans and some sort of mushroom goodness. Javier recommended a great wine and we retreated for the night. The next day we headed down to breakfast for another amazing meal. I went and sat by/swam in the lake. The water is so clear and refreshing. TH got a massage from goddess Flor. He loves massages and he said it was the best he ever had. At that point, Javier came out and asked where we wanted lunch. They went above and beyond for everything. We enjoyed another awesome meal (they also always offer seconds, it took all of my willpower to turn them down). It has some delicious tempeh, a pasta dish with the best sauce ever, and a coconut dessert. The meals were all delicious and beautiful. I then enjoyed a fantastic facial and massage from Flor.I could barely walk I was so relaxed. I told TH I would not blame him if he left me for her. I couldn't be mad, just jealous of him. I am sure I am leaving something out of this review, but nothing can describe how incredible this place is. The pictures don't do it justice. You must go! In fact, we are rearranging our entire trip so we can go again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. The Royal Suite is close the the entrance and quite large. The Zen Dome...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Please feel our hearts filled with appreciation for your kind review. We truly go out of our way for all of our clients as TOSA La Laguna is a very special and magical retreat from the chaos of the world and of some other Lake Atitlan Villages! Personalized attention, custom made meals and high quality spa treatments are our signature!
We are grateful that our little piece of heaven still has a clean private lagoon for swimming and water sports and that our boat only access prevents the beauty of nature from being spoiled.
We look forward to your return visit and will be there waiting with smiles, welcome beverages and another yummy foot treatment! All TOSA specialties.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

TOSA La Laguna is a beautiful, mystical getaway from the hustle and bustle of Guatemala. From the moment my group and I got off our private shuttle we were greeted by a small group of their extremely friendly staff and we got the pleasure of meeting Javier, their on-site manager. Javier is so warm-hearted, welcoming, always has a smile, and he really makes the effort to make sure all of the guest are being served to the maximum possibility; it truly was a joy meeting Javier. I was absolutely blown away by the level of service and hospitality offered to my group by the TOSA staff, they were all so attentive to our personal needs and wants, it truly was a heart warming experience. The moment our boat arrived to their dock, we were greeted by the rest of their wonderful staff as they were waiting for us with huge smiles on their faces and a delicious, nutritious, smoothie beverage in their hands for each of the guests. TOSA La Laguna is built on a remote mountain side of lake Atitlan and is adorned with these beautiful casitas in which the guests get to stay in. Each casita is wonderfully and beautifully furnished including extremely comfortable beds,pillows and worldly designs. Talk about luxury!! You Truly have to see it for yourself to understand the full depth of beauty and luxury that TOSA La Laguna has to offer. I got married in Antigua the day I went to go stay at TOSA La Laguna and thus got to enjoy a honeymoon experience at TOSA. I could think of no other place to enjoy the perfect honeymoon then TOSA La Laguna, it truly was a blessing and an honor to stay there. My beloved and I got to stay in the Royal suite, and we truly felt like royalty staying in such a luxurious place and being served by such a sincere and friendly staff. Being able to wake up each morning and gaze out into the lake was a healing and refreshing experience. There is so much to do at TOSA La Laguna, our days were full of fun and adventure and delicious meals! From hiking up the mountain side to meet the heart-centered locals that live in a small village on the mountain top, to taking the kayak out into the lake to feel the serenity and enormity of this mystical place, to enjoying and relaxing into all the spa services and amenities. I would never hesitate to highly recommend staying at TOSA La Laguna to any traveler.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally beautiful and luxurious!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ARoehr
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Hello Adrain! (and Claudia) It is always our joy to receive Honeymoon couples at TOSA LL. We agree that the Royal Suite is a magical experience and we are honored to have a staff that really enjoys when you are happy!
We appreciate your returning to TOSA LL for your honeymoon and may your life together always reflect the beauty, nourishment and joy you experienced during your time with us!
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

What a night. We, unfortunately, only spent one night here. We had an incredible experience since the moment we stepped foot at this hotel (literally, they give you a foot massage upon arrival). You can only come and go by boat, which makes it such a cool experience! The manager, Javier, went above and beyond to ensure we were happy, and Flor (the woman that does it all!) was delightful in every way. She does massages (only $75!) and cooks INCREDIBLE vegan food. They offer something here that we didnt think we would ever find...complete and utter relaxation. Leave your electronics in your suitcase, and just take in all the sights and sounds of the amazingness that is Lake Atitlan and the TOSA hotel. We will be back.

Room Tip: Stay in the Zen Room!! Incredible views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you Katy for taking the time to fully embrace the unparalleled beauty of TOSA! We truly care that your experience is everything you would want, and more!
Yes! Flor is AMAZING and next time you arrive be sure to take advantage of some of her other specialties like fully organic facials and yummy body scrubs.

We look forward to your return and may the peace and beauty of TOSA LL stay with you.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

TOSA La Laguna was a breath-taking first for my friends and me.

We were met by “Javier”– the lucky duck that lives at TOSA and spends his days making the TOSA patrons feel at ease. He allowed us peaceful alone time but was ever-present when we needed him. He is an invaluable part of the TOSA experience. We really made a great friend out of ol' Javier–

My friends and I stayed in the “Royal Suite”, the two-bedroom casita situated right on the water. To wake up in this room is the closest thing to waking up on the lake itself. There is nothing like it. The room was equipped for comfort. The beds are cloud-like, the snacks are gourmet and healthy, the water is immediately purified from the tap and the hospitality of the housekeepers made for a carefree stay.

We were provided three, three-course meals a day– all hearty, all organic and all vegetarian. Flavoured to perfection by Antigua-born cook, “Maria”, the food was an essential part of this experience. I especially enjoyed the “Watercress and Potato Soup” and the “Vegan Panqueques con Miel” the next morning. When it rained in the afternoon, Maria was on our front door step with Guatemalan Cocoa Caliente (Hot Coco), and when I felt a dizzy-spell coming-on, Maria cured me with some Lemon Grass tea and spices. Go Maria!.

Javier and Maria were so good to us that it felt like we were leaving a bit of our family behind. With that said, leaving TOSA was like leaving home. We’ll all return some day with the knowledge that we'll be welcomed with open arms– as if we never left.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank teemingbrain
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for your thorough review of TOSA La Laguna and your care to details all the many various amenities that are provided. We have worked diligently to provide the cleanest water of any hotel at the lake and not charge extra for the benefit of enjoying it!

We also have shared your considerate comments about our staff to each member and they are delighted as insuring your stay is as close to perfect as possible is what matters most at TOSA!

Thank you for completing your personal questionnaire prior to arrival so we could insure your needs were always met and we look forward to having you return.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

When I arrived at TOSA, I was immediately in love. The service we received from the moment we stepped on the boat was incredible. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, especially Javier the manager. He truly made us feel like friends and honored guests.

My boyfriend and I stayed with another friend in the "royal suite" overlooking the water. It was the perfect space for three people, especially for good friends or parents and children. The beds were extremely comfortable and the hot water and nice linens were a real treat after having lived in Guatemala for almost a year. The worldly decorations were beautiful and the room was complete with a tea kettle, coffee, and snacks!

The grounds were remote, nestled into the mountainside of beautiful Lake Atitlan. While I did wonder at first how we would keep ourselves busy, we had no trouble once we discovered the Mayan sauna, yoga dome, spa offerings, paddle boats, kayaks, and the nature trails. Of course we also had a swim in the lake! Honestly, our scheduled time flew and we ended up staying at TOSA an extra night because we loved the environment so much.

Since we are three vegetarians, the food was perfect for us and we definitely never went hungry. We ate like kings while feeling healthy and nourished. The staff was 100% receptive of our likes and dislikes and picked the meals accordingly. My favorite things were the many delicious soups, Lemonade with chia seeds, and a light, fresh take on rellenitos.

I would definitely recommend TOSA for a romantic getaway or a personal hiatus from the craziness of Guatemala. I could not believe how relaxed and renewed my entire body and spirit felt after spending the weekend there. We made memories we will never forget. Thank you TOSA La Laguna!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
TOSALL, Manager at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Hello Katy, We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at TOSA La Laguna and that you experienced the sense of relaxation and renewal that is our hallmark. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

There are not really words to describe what I received when they stay at Tosa La Laguna. It is an opportunity to connect with yourself, the lake and the land. It is very special part of the lake. You truly can go here and unplug and be held by nature and the beautiful Tosa la Laguna. The staff is attentive, happy and care about every detail. The food was made with love and you will be well fed. In addition, it is easy enough to take the boat to explore the other towns around the lake. Don’t miss an opportunity of a lifetime to stay at this sacred sanctuary. Suzanne Toro

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
TOSALL, Manager at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Suzanne,
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!