“A Peaceful, Personal Stay”

Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa
Ranked #31 of 55 Hotels in Lake Atitlan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 17, 2014

TOSA La Laguna was a breath-taking first for my friends and me.

We were met by “Javier”– the lucky duck that lives at TOSA and spends his days making the TOSA patrons feel at ease. He allowed us peaceful alone time but was ever-present when we needed him. He is an invaluable part of the TOSA experience. We really made a great friend out of ol' Javier–

My friends and I stayed in the “Royal Suite”, the two-bedroom casita situated right on the water. To wake up in this room is the closest thing to waking up on the lake itself. There is nothing like it. The room was equipped for comfort. The beds are cloud-like, the snacks are gourmet and healthy, the water is immediately purified from the tap and the hospitality of the housekeepers made for a carefree stay.

We were provided three, three-course meals a day– all hearty, all organic and all vegetarian. Flavoured to perfection by Antigua-born cook, “Maria”, the food was an essential part of this experience. I especially enjoyed the “Watercress and Potato Soup” and the “Vegan Panqueques con Miel” the next morning. When it rained in the afternoon, Maria was on our front door step with Guatemalan Cocoa Caliente (Hot Coco), and when I felt a dizzy-spell coming-on, Maria cured me with some Lemon Grass tea and spices. Go Maria!.

Javier and Maria were so good to us that it felt like we were leaving a bit of our family behind. With that said, leaving TOSA was like leaving home. We’ll all return some day with the knowledge that we'll be welcomed with open arms– as if we never left.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank teemingbrain
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for your thorough review of TOSA La Laguna and your care to details all the many various amenities that are provided. We have worked diligently to provide the cleanest water of any hotel at the lake and not charge extra for the benefit of enjoying it!

We also have shared your considerate comments about our staff to each member and they are delighted as insuring your stay is as close to perfect as possible is what matters most at TOSA!

Thank you for completing your personal questionnaire prior to arrival so we could insure your needs were always met and we look forward to having you return.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

When I arrived at TOSA, I was immediately in love. The service we received from the moment we stepped on the boat was incredible. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, especially Javier the manager. He truly made us feel like friends and honored guests.

My boyfriend and I stayed with another friend in the "royal suite" overlooking the water. It was the perfect space for three people, especially for good friends or parents and children. The beds were extremely comfortable and the hot water and nice linens were a real treat after having lived in Guatemala for almost a year. The worldly decorations were beautiful and the room was complete with a tea kettle, coffee, and snacks!

The grounds were remote, nestled into the mountainside of beautiful Lake Atitlan. While I did wonder at first how we would keep ourselves busy, we had no trouble once we discovered the Mayan sauna, yoga dome, spa offerings, paddle boats, kayaks, and the nature trails. Of course we also had a swim in the lake! Honestly, our scheduled time flew and we ended up staying at TOSA an extra night because we loved the environment so much.

Since we are three vegetarians, the food was perfect for us and we definitely never went hungry. We ate like kings while feeling healthy and nourished. The staff was 100% receptive of our likes and dislikes and picked the meals accordingly. My favorite things were the many delicious soups, Lemonade with chia seeds, and a light, fresh take on rellenitos.

I would definitely recommend TOSA for a romantic getaway or a personal hiatus from the craziness of Guatemala. I could not believe how relaxed and renewed my entire body and spirit felt after spending the weekend there. We made memories we will never forget. Thank you TOSA La Laguna!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
TOSALL, Manager at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Hello Katy, We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at TOSA La Laguna and that you experienced the sense of relaxation and renewal that is our hallmark. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

There are not really words to describe what I received when they stay at Tosa La Laguna. It is an opportunity to connect with yourself, the lake and the land. It is very special part of the lake. You truly can go here and unplug and be held by nature and the beautiful Tosa la Laguna. The staff is attentive, happy and care about every detail. The food was made with love and you will be well fed. In addition, it is easy enough to take the boat to explore the other towns around the lake. Don’t miss an opportunity of a lifetime to stay at this sacred sanctuary. Suzanne Toro

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
TOSALL, Manager at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Suzanne,
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

What an incredible experience and gift to my self! I was so cared for and nourished through the land, lake and staff. I have stayed here a few times in the past and always experienced loving care and fabulous accommodations. This time I allowed myself to receive even more fully the generous care and love of all that was available. It is a gift to allow oneself to let go and receive. I stayed at the mountain dome, the top casita, this time and what a pleasure. As always the accommodations are plush with a beautiful blend of rustic/natural outdoors. The air is crisp and clear and there is no "noise" pollution. All who were at the lake were gracious, friendly and a joy to be around. I look forward to staying here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: If you are not as fit as you would prefer, I recommend the Royal suite, however, if you're up fo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Hello Alice, We are so grateful that your stay at TOSA La Laguna offered you a wonderful experience. The tranquility and beauty of the land, along with the accommodations and attentive staff are truly gifts that bring guests back time and time again!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Tosa La Laguna truly is the heart of the world. Each time I am there, from the pristine surroundings to the crystalline waters you are absolutely cradled in bliss. To give yourself the gift to disconnect from all stress and to feed and nourish yourself with amazing vegan food that is prepared with love to the many offerings of healing and spa treatments. Total restoration for body, mind and spirit!
This time I stayed at the sacred mountain dome which was the very top casita. It was good for me to get the extra exercise, so I truly enjoyed the walk up and down the mountain with the fragrant flowers and native plants and the VIEW! absolutely stunning!
There were 3 of us and we all had plenty of hot water, extremely comfortable beds and anything we needed or requested was generously provided. I am so looking forward to returning this fall! All the staff is truly amazing, courteous and smiling. From your arrival at the airport to your departure home, you are well taken care of.

Room Tip: Each room is unique and delightful. Depending on your physical preferences, less walking request a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Sue! We were delighted to welcome you back and that you have already scheduled a return trip! As you have not had the opportunity to experience the Mayan Sauna, we hope you will offer yourself that gift on your next visit. Truly remarkable.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

I'd stayed at TOSA La Laguna a little over a year ago, and was impressed then. All I can say is they've raised the bar higher and it made for a thoroughly enjoyable four days.

I chose the Sacred Mountain Dome, which is the highest of the casitas and commands an incredible view of the lake. It is very private with it's own deck, and even the option to have meals brought up, which I indulged in once. It was super spacious with great energy from the dome, and the kitchenette with tea service was a welcome amenity. Comfortable bed and great sleep, waking to birdsong.

The food was plentiful and even better than I remembered from last time, always fresh and with some delicious entrees I'd never had before, one using a local squash that I wish I had at home. The spa services were top notch and I had two massages that ranked up with the best I've ever had. The ozone chamber was a new experience and highly recommended.

Javier, the guest services manager, was great with helping me arrange a couple of excursions on other areas of the lake for zip-lining and a volcano hike, so I had no worries about transportation, etc. He also coordinated my round trip arrival and departure transport to Antigua with their private van, and the driver, Feliciano, bent over backwards to make sure the trips were comfortable.

Swimming and kayaking were daily activities for me, and the quiet lagoon was perfect for relaxation with no concerns about boat traffic or debris.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful and the place itself beautiful, clean, and tranquil. I'll definitely be returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
TOSALL, Guest Services Coordinator at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2014

Hello Anton! Thank you for your beautiful words about your stay here at TOSA La Laguna. We are so happy to know that you had a wonderful stay in the hotel. We are looking forward to host you again when you visit Guatemala. Until your next amazing TOSA LA Laguna experience. Greetings from the entire team of TOSA La Laguna.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed at TOSA with 2 girlfriends (we're all in our early 30s). We all loved TOSA!!! The staff is amazing. Javier, the manager made us feel so at home. Maria, the cook (more like a gourmet chef) prepares the most amazing dishes. We were never hungry! On our last day, we each had a body scrub with Lindsey. What a treat! She has magical hands. We stayed at TOSA for 3 1/2 days and loved every minute there. We stayed in the Sacred Mountain Dome, which is over 300 stone stairs up from the main area, and loved the extra space it afforded 3 female friends. It's a hike up to the Sacred Mountain Dome, so it's not for everyone, but it worked well for us. We also took all of the offered excursions, which we thoroughly enjoyed. TOSA is only accessibly by their boat, so you can add excursions if you like more activities during your vacation. However, one of our favorite days was our last day when we did not leave TOSA. TOSA La Laguna was an oasis for us. We all loved it and were not ready to leave at the end of our trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends