“A sacred island of light”

Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa
Ranked #31 of 55 Hotels in Lake Atitlan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Tosa La Laguna is a sanctuary of serenity and peace. I was presented right off the boat at the dock with this ambrosia-like drink. Each cell in my body vibrated as I drank it down. Tosa has a devoted and diligent staff that went out of their way to make my stay wonderful. The vegan cusiine was absolutely yummy (would you consider doing a cookbook?) and the spa treatments were amazing. I had an ozone treatment followed by a foot bath and then a half-hour ride on the bliss machine. OMG! I had a smile on my face for hours. My casita was the Mayan dome. I loved the experience of sleeping in a room free of 90 degree angels. I had many precious moments at the lake. I remember sitting on the front step of my casita one evening simply gazing at the moonlight dancing on the lake while it was lightly raining. It was a timeless moment in time that I will never forget. I felt completely at peace and supremely happy. I take these gifts, these qualities, home with me now in a package of a "living memory". I had many of these "living moments in time" at Tosa. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for your sharing. We love that most of TOSA LL was built in complete harmony with the land and supports a sense of personal freedom and peace. The free flow of the architecture and many domed spaces are magical. We are working on our cookbook as so many guests have asked for it and will be sure to let you know when it is ready! We are honored you have chosen to return again and we look forward to welcoming you "home".

There are newer reviews for Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had an opportunity for a brief stay at Tosa La Laguna on Lago Atittaln. A sterling approach by boat to the site, the only access. As Tosa's accomodations claim the ascent of a most impressive mountain, I could have then only imagined the possibilites to be encountered. A fabulous vista without boundary, a no limit perspective. A responsive staff, tropical flora and fauna, rooms not wanting for any imaginable comfort, a serving of stylized and healthy entrees and the grounds were laid for my perssonal alchemy. It was, indeed, all about me. I highly recommend you experience Tosa La Laguna. Sincerely Edwin Chavez

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Hello Edwin! We were honored you chose to share time with us and that your journey offered you the peace, tranquility and nourishment you were seeking. The spa program you selected was a perfect match to support you and the results were awesome. We agree that allowing yourself to be pampered and nourished is a rare gift and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

My stay at La Laguna was heaven on earth. Food was excellent, staff were attentive but not invasive and the setting was amazing. I am going back again shortlyy and would recommend it to everyone needing some peace and quiet, fantastic views, food and accommodation. It was a very exceptional time for me and the that knowledge I gained and the treatmenst I had were wonderful. My next trip will be just as good as my first and probably even better. Go and try it. it is worth it. No TV, no phones, no traffic or sirens. Absolute bliss.

Room Tip: Half way up for views and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Hello Jean! Thank you for gifting yourself with the full and stunning beauty that is TOSA La Laguna! We are so grateful to have such a perfect and private location at Lake Atitlan. Unlike all the other lake hotels we offer true peace and yet are just a boat ride away to any other lake activities. We are happy to see you again so soon and will do our absolute best to insure your second visit meets or exceeds your first.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Friendly staff. Nature at its best-mountain, lake and star-filled sky. Super delicious meals. totally relaxing best spa services ever. Lovely accommodations. Great in every way. I never knew OSS-grid living could be so good.

Room Tip: Mayan suite
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Hello Jean! We smile at your review as we are always delighted when people discover that you can be 100% off-grid and earth friendly without compromising quality and luxury! Thank you for noticing and we agree, the meals and spa are amazing! As is of course the stunning natural beauty of Lake Atitlan and our protected nature reserve. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Two lovely men, Feliciano and Daryl met us at the airport in Guatemala City with the Tosa shuttle. Both were genuinely kind and caring. I knew we were in good hands.

The drive was interesting for me in that I had not often travelled the picturesque back way to Lake Atitlan. Upon arriving in San Lucas Toliman a short trip by lancha brought us to Tosa. I looked ahead and could see buildings and footpaths built into the cliffside all the way up the side of a mountain. I was a little doubtful.

Were the foot paths and domes arranged so as to heighten one's awareness? If so, those details worked, for me, at least. It only took one trip up to our gorgeous dome to get over my initial apprehension and settle into the bliss and enchantment that is Tosa.

Lucien and Lira were magnificent. We got a welcoming foot massage and a nice drink, Lucien's cooking was wonderful. We both had the special Avesa treatment which is well worth it. It was a wonderful way to begin our trip to Lake Atitlan.

I thank Paula who recommended this to us. Kudos to the owners.

Room Tip: Choose the dome, I think it is called Zen.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Greetings Daphne! Thank you for your kind review and sharing. Yes, the Zen dome is a very special place to stay as are all of our domes that dot the mountainside. We always do our best to make sure that every inch of TOSA La Laguna is safe and welcoming and are delighted you found it to be that way. We have placed much attention on the Avesa spa and the quality of our 100% organic Guatemalan artisanal products and the training of our staff. Please feel our heart-felt appreciation for you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

La Laguna was beyond expectations. I could not have asked for anything better. I look forward to returning once again. The dinning was exceptional, and the staff offered service with a smile. The overall experience was awesome in every way.

Room Tip: My friends and I all had beautiful rooms with fantastic views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you Raymond! We are delighted you enjoyed the service and the meals. Creating unique meals with great flavors is always a treat for us and our entire staff appreciates your sharing. We look forward to seeing you again as well. With much appreciation!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

To celebrate my retirement, I gave myself the gift of travel to Guatemala! I was looking for a place that would "call" to me. A place where time would melt away and I could "let go" and find a "new" or should I say, a "part of me" I had almost forgotten! When I saw the great reviews about Tosa La Laguna, and saw the beautiful pictures I was intrigued. When I spoke to "Kat", who was so genuine and reasurring,I knew Tosa was for me! I was met at the airport by Feliciano, (with his TOSA sign) who then took us to Lake Atitlan, and the Tosa La Laguna boat. We were personally greeted on arrival and welcomed with a refreshing beverage! ( I felt pampered already!) The "casita" rooms were unique,comfortable and gave one private views of the lake. Exceptional staff,provided delicious and creative vegan cuisine,and great spa treatments like facials ,massage and steam...What I loved most was to swim in the exquisite lake, relax, melt into the sunset, and journal to my content! Tosa, where time melts away!

Room Tip: For even more pampering, gift yourself with extra luxury and request "the Royal Suite"...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Hello!
We agree that time does indeed melt away while at TOSA La Laguna, as a matter of fact one of the most common parting comments we hear is how so many people wish they had booked a longer visit. Thank you for gifting yourself with the time to fully relax, and rediscover yourself. We look forward to seeing you again in 2013.