“Don't hesitate even one minute -- book your trip now!”

Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa
Ranked #31 of 55 Hotels in Lake Atitlan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Looking to nourish your soul? Then you've found the perfect destination!

TOSA La Laguna is a very special place run by very special people. I highly recommend that you gift yourself with the experience as soon as you possibly can. Why? Because YOU deserve to touch your soul in a way you've never done before. We all do...

Sri and Kira are generously sharing their sacred home and personal energy with all of us. This is a very generous gift and an opportunity you won't want to miss. You'll understand just how extremely generous this is once you've personally visited. The prices are extremely affordable and worth every single penny.

Beauty and love will surround you from the moment you get to the lake and if you allow it, both will follow you home and continue to expand and delight youl... I personally like to think of it as Fantasy Island!

Arriving by boat is exhilerating AND cleansing as you leave the hectic pace behind and see the yellow and dome-shaped buildings get closer and closer. From your first view of the majestic volcanos and hypnotic water you will be filled with joy because you know that YOU will be staying in this amazing place!

You will be greeted like you are family -- well perhaps even better as I personally felt like royalty! Your senses will be delighted with the astounding beauty that surrounds your every step. EVERYTHING is in perfect harmony and invites you to slow down and notice --- to notice the abundant gifts of mother nature and the gift of being in this place at this moment....

The accommodations are wonderfully unique and extremely luxurious especially when you consider that you are off-grid and in the mountains. I've had the pleasure of staying in both the Sacred Mountain Dome and the Zen Dome and both have made me feel like I'm the most fortunate person in the world. I've seen all but one of the rooms and am confident when I say that you will not be disappointed. It truly will not matter which one you stay in, you will truly be delighted.

And, the food! I know some of you may be concerned about the vegan menu, but trust me when I tell you that you will not be disappointed. Every meal left me completely in heaven! The taste of the fruits and vegetables in Guatemala cannot be matched elsewhere. Every bite is out-of-this-world scrumptious and I'm sure that you'll be amazed at how hearty and fulfilling soul nourishment truly is!

Spa services are heavenly and EXTREMELY affordable. I lost 5 cm in four 5-minute laser lipo treatments and loved that my amazing,hard-working and very gifted therapist focused our sessions on loving myself instead of my physical appearance. She also gave me the most amazing black salt scrub ever as well as an incredible must-be-experienced ozone treatement. LIke I said... HEAVEN!!!

While you may choose to go to TOSA La Laguna just for a bit of rest and relaxation, your experience will be greatly enriched if you choose to do some inner work. This is the perfect place to go within and touch places inside yourself you didn't even know existed. And, that feels so amazing.... it feels like going home! If interested, you should ask about one of the existing packages or ask that one be created especially for you.

I could go on and on, but understand this is getting longwinded. Before I signoff, I need to share a little about the lake and surrounding views. The lake is simply incredible. The color of the water changes in ways I've never experienced before -- from emerald green, to turquoise blue to pink, to silver..... Truly mesmirizing... it is easy to find yourself staring into the dancing water and getting lost into other realms. It is a very pleasant temperature and feels silky too! And, being 5000 feet in altitude, there are quick changes in cloud formation making the scenery a constant new view. I have over 1000 pictures of the sleeping giant and volcano's just trying to capture a bit of the magic that unfolds every single minute.... and I didn't spend all my time behind a camera either.

BOTTOMLINE: TOSA La Laguna is a magical place that is a gift to this world. Don't hesitate even one more minute -- gift yourself by booking your trip now! Then come back and leave your review here so others may share in your joy!

Room Tip: Every single room is amazing! However, it is a pretty good hike up to the Sacred Mountain Dome. I...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 888Donna888
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for your sharing and taking the time to offer such a dimensional background for others to notice. We work hard every day to assure that all of our guests enjoy their time at TOSA LL and that they will want to return often! With much appreciation, The Entire TOSA Team.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I very much enjoyed my stay at Tosa Laguna. The staff are very welcoming and attentive and provide a number of spa services and treatments to enable one to relax and move forward in life. It lies on the shores of a beautiful lake where you can go swimming. I stayed in the Mayan Suite which is a circular dome with views out onto the lake.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Lucinda384

Thank you for your sharing Lucinda. We are delighted you took the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor and to take advantage of the beauty and pristine environment. We are glad you went swimming as we are honored to offer a nourishing environment to enjoy the full beauty of the lake. The views from the Mayan Suite are amazing and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I spent about a week. I was welcomed, and treated like royalty. I experienced nature, the mountains, the lake and a true spiritual uplifting. It was an out of this world energy. I enjoyed the Mountain Dome as well as the Royal suite. Everything is prepared with loved and caring. It offers all the spa services and if your heart has called for a spiritual retreat, this is the place to be. You can go as deep as you like. The mountains, the lake will draw you in. It has an energy of its own, unmatched anywhere else even though I have other paradises. If your heart is calling, go experience it.
I am grateful to all who attended to my needs. Blessings and gratitude to all
Sophia

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Sophia, Thank you for your kind words and for gifting yourself with the experience of two of our majestic suites! We agree, the spa services are heavenly as is the beauty of Lake Atitlan. TOSA LL is very special in that we are boat only access thereby assuring your privacy and tranquility to have whatever experience you are seeking. We welcome you back anytime!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I would highly recommend TOSA La Laguna as a magical place to unwind and find your inner peace. My husband and I just got back from the most amazing experience ever. TOSA La Laguna has it all…you can choose from a variety of spa services and relaxation experiences to suit your preferences. If your quest is to experience a holistic spa, you’ve come to the right place. The menu of services is extensive and covers every budget. If the holistic experience is not for you, there are so many other things to do for relaxation. My husband floated around the lake in a kayak playing his guitar. There is something for everyone. There are truly are no words to describe how transformational this experience is for your body, mind and spirit. We've been back for a month and the changeswe made as a couple and individuals have been noticed by our family and friends.

As someone who works a very busy corporate environment, the opportunity to start relaxing from the moment we arrived until we left is beyond a gift. Upon arrival, relaxation starts immediately. Each guest is treated to a lake side sea salt foot soak. Imagine the sound of tranquil music transporting you to tranquility as you enjoy a delicious tropical energizing drink. There are so many amazing options for relaxation and detox. My favorites included daily trips to the Jade/Germanium Chiropractic Therapy Bed, the Bliss Experience machine, and Chi4Life Vitalizer designed to stimulate the lymph system. The ozone therapy treatments, Mayan sauna and foot detox left helped my entire body to feel a sense of renewal. Avesa Quantum Balancing Sessions and morning Sacred Yoga are also a valuable part of the experience. There are so many more options that I have yet to experience.

Meals can be served either in the comfort of your casita or lakeside. We chose both options…and enjoyed a truly romantic dinner on our patio. All of the meals are delicious and lovingly prepared by the Guatemalan staff. TOSA has its own oxygenated and crystalline water system. Everything you eat or drink has enhanced nutritional value to help your body feel great. My husband and miss the “daily juice” smoothie. Twice a day, in addition to your meals and snacks, you are invited to partake in nutrient rich, super food smoothies. These are beyond delicious! I plan to go back to the lake in December. I can hardly wait and am counting down the days.

Thank you for creating such an amazing space for everyone to just "be".

Kim Butler, New Jersey

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sacred Mountain Dome and The Royal Suite. They are both amazing, the Royal Suite wa...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Hello Kim!
We are always delighted when someone can take full advantage of the many services and options that we have worked so diligently to provide at TOSA La Laguna. Guests discover here the "real" lake atitlan and also the benefit of special services that are usually not found elsewhere. Guitar and moonlight from the deck of the Sacred Mountain Dome is awesome...we agree!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My trip to Tosa was unforgetable. The lake was pristine and cleansing. On the land I felt at peace and taken care of. The food freshness and preperation was a delight. This place allowed me to decompress and melt away the stress that was affecting my well-being. I really loved sleeping in the dome type rooms. The staff assisted to keep me confortable in everyway. This place calls to my spirit! Thank you for my most sacred vacation! I will return.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo

Thank you Corey for gifting us with your overview of your experience of TOSA La Laguna. When we first discovered this very special paradise our hearts were clear that this was meant to be shared! We appreciate your support and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

When I went in search of a destination to have my long-awaited vacation, I initially sought out a place that was quick to get to, preferably via a non-stop flight, and perhaps had a few sites to see along with an offering of some spa-like pampering. On my quest for this "place", I happened upon a site that included information about TOSA La Laguna Holistic Spa and Retreat Center. I looked at the breath-taking pictures and was immediately captivated by what I saw. Needless to say, plans for the non-stop jaunt I had anticipated faded away. Once I had become aware of this beautiful treasure on Lake Atitlan in Guatemala, I knew that I had to see what it was all about.

The first impressive aspect of embarking on a trip to TOSA is the remarkable attention to detail that is put into customizing a guest's experience there. I had never traveled to Guatemala before so I had a lot of questions, all of which were kindly and thoroughly answered by Kat, the first person with whom I had the pleasure of interacting at TOSA. Once I had finalized my plans to visit TOSA, I received a brochure that asked several questions that were tailored to making sure that my trip was exactly what I desired. I chose to take advantage of the "Stress Release" 3-day retreat. From food likes/dislikes and dietary requirements to what the objective of my journey would be...everything was covered. The fact that this is an all-inclusive set-up was also a comfort, as I did not have to be concerned with unexpected costs. I was also taken care of from arrival at to departure from the Guatemala City Airport. I was greeting by my very friendly and conscientious driver, Feliciano, who was waiting for me while holding a sign when I exited Customs. In order to get to the beautiful paradise that is home to TOSA, one must take a road trip that lasts about 2.5 - 3 hours, depending on the traffic in the city. However, with the pleasant company of Feliciano and the amazing sites that I saw along the way, this trek was a bit of a bonus and a great opportunity to witness life in the smaller pueblos of Guatemala outside of the rather sanitized vantage point that visitors often experience on a packaged vacation tour. There are also a host of visually interesting subjects to capture on camera such as the famously restless volcanoes and impressive landscapes that line the highway. Along the way, a stop at a small pueblo named Cocales yielded a chance to stretch my legs and sip on fresh coconut water, presented to me by one of the friendly local vendors. The final stop on land was the little village of San Lucas Toliman where I was greeted by the smiling faces of Lira (one of the general managers of TOSA) and Don Carlos, who manned the boat to take me across Lake Atitlan to my final destination. Frankly, after taking two planes, a mini van and a boat, I was more than ready to be there.

Upon arrival, I was greeted by Anam (the on-site staff assistant) and Lucien, the other general manager and incidentally, husband to Lira. Theirs is a wonderful story of serendipity, worthy of an inquiry if you should have the pleasure of meeting them. : ) As I was being allowed to get my "land legs" back, I enjoyed chatting with Anam and Lira, who are both very kind and engaging, while sipping on the non-alcoholic cocktail that was waiting for me when I disembarked from the charming TOSA vessel. I enjoyed a delightful foot bathing/massage, which is a treat that each guest receives upon arrival. I found it to be most refreshing and it was conducted with such care that the atmosphere of indulgence and service was set immediately. I quickly became at home in this exotically beautiful environment. I was taken on a tour of the property and introduced to its features while my bags were taken to my casita. There was quite an offering of interesting and innovative treatments to soothe the body and mind. A rather extensive menu of spa services was also available to cater to those of us who LIVE to indulge in hedonistic relaxation.

Many activities are offered including yoga and meditation classes; tours to nearby villages by boat; snorkeling; paddle boating; canoeing or just dipping your feet in the cool and refreshing, magical waters of Lake Atitlan, which was my choice. There is an exercise room with a mini-trampoline, a stationary bike and a body swing massager machine, which was my absolute favorite. I call it a hula machine on steroids because it jiggles away the pounds and provides a stimulating sensation of energy coursing through your body. All of this exercise takes place in the little hut overlooking the beautiful blue-green waters of the lake. You get to gaze at the mountain range on the horizon that is called the "sleeping giant" because if you look closely, you can see the outline of his face while he appears to be napping on his back. In my opinion, for those of us who do not really enjoy the act of exercising, this is the only way to do it...lol

All meals are vegetarian and although I am not a vegetarian, I did not find it difficult at all to adjust to this style of eating. They cooked the meals according to my specifications of likes and dislikes and they were all tasty and filling. (My absolute favorite was Lucien's delicious pasta with marinara sauce. It was delicious!)

I chose to book the Sacred Mountain Dome as I was seeking the utmost in seclusion and privacy. I knew there was to be a bit of a hike and that it was situated away from the other casitas and main areas. However, the word "hike" in the context of the SMD's location has a few more critical dimensions to it. There is the aspect of having to navigate some rather challenging steps carved into the mountain that are not uniform and the majority of them are not smooth. Therefore, having your wits about you is imperative. Also, if height causes you a problem, this would not be a pleasant experience for you. There are some rather intimidating drop offs on the side of the mountain and there is no railing along the majority of the path. Walking sticks are offered and I became very attached to mine as it provided a sense of much needed support when I trekked up and down the mountain. "Party lights" illuminate the entire path to the SMD but if you ascend at night, flashlights are highly recommended. Don Carlos is a very sure-footed escort who is willing to patiently wait while you catch your breath, which is something that I had to do several times along the way. (He is also to be commended for the effortless way he took my heavy bag to my room up that precarious mountain trail...all the while, with the kindest smile on his face.) I am far from the athletic type but I can say that I had a rewarding sense of accomplishment and pride in the fact that I didn't "turn tail" and change rooms after I found out about the challenge of getting to my casita. I can say that the SMD was certainly worth all of the strength I had to muster to get up there. However, I must give a strong warning: The location of the Sacred Mountain Dome is not conducive to those who may not be able to take on physically challenging activities. Location notwithstanding, this casita is truly special and decorated with unique and colorful accents. It has a porch seating area with an umbrella under which to read, write or have your meals outside, if desired. It also has a jacuzzi, for those who wish to partake. The views are absolutely stunning from high atop the mountain and you truly feel as if you have the world to yourself.

Although TOSA is "off the grid", there are no concerns whatsoever about not being able to have the modern amenities for which electricity is needed. The property has back-up generators in the event that there are issues with the solar panels. I was also told that there are future plans for the use of wind energy. There are no televisions but there are ipod docks for you to enjoy your own music while participating in other activities that allow you to disconnect from the hectic world outside of this paradise. Guests are provided with a cell phone that allows them to call the on-site staff assistant for anything they may need. There is also Internet access via your cell phone, if you must have it. However, the tranquil, unspoiled, peaceful environment there actually promotes the feeling that everything can wait...and believe it or not, it really can. : )

While TOSA is an ideal place for one to come and have a personal, reflective and spiritual retreat, it must be emphasized that pure, mindless relaxation with only thought of unwinding is absolutely welcome there as well. The mystical quality of the nature reserve and the palpable Mayan influence that permeates the very atmosphere around Lake Atitlan provide the perfect environment in which to have ethereal discussions about spiritual enlightenment and self-improvement. However, there is no pressure to engage in any particular activity at all. Guests can decide the level of solitude or interaction they prefer and the staff are all there to provide world-class service that supports the chosen purpose of their guests' visit.

I must say that all of the effort it took to travel and see the majesty of this ancient land was well worth it and I look forward to returning with family and friends in tow next time. TOSA is a jewel on Lake Atitlan that I feel so honored to have had the opportunity to discover. For all of the gifts that TOSA bestows on its guests, the prices are an incredible deal. One would pay FAR more in the states for even lesser offerings of customized luxury and indulgences. The authentic kindness of the people who work there as well as the bounty of natural beauty the land and lake display made my visit one that I will never forget. I know that anyone else who feels the pull to explore this part of Guatemala will not be disappointed but thoroughly delighted with the enchanting surroundings and once-in-a-lifetime experiences they will acquire. I have posted pictures that include the wonderful members of the TOSA staff but I really wish I could have posted the videos I have of the beautiful, ever-changing sunsets that put on a show every evening. Ah well...I definitely suggest you visit to experience them yourself. You'll never regret it. : )

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank rissemoni

Thank you for your sincere sharing of your time at TOSA. Our entire staff truly cares about every detail and we are constantly striving to insure that each person who offers themselves the gift of spending time here will leave refreshed and rejuvenated.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

When I returned from my retreat at TOSA La Laguna, my family remarked how refreshed, rejuvenated and balanced I looked. And believe me, I felt it!
The vegan menu was exquisite, the setting pristine, the energy of the lake and land is breathtaking, and every detail was lovingly and conscientiously addressed.
Thank you TOSA. I am saving up for my next visit!!

Room Tip: loved the quiet solitude of the Sacred Mountain room, however, you must enjoy the peaceful walk up t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patty P
TOSALL, Owner at Kaalpul Atitlan Eco Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Refreshed, rejuvenated and balanced are what we try to achieve with all our clients. We are delighted your friends noticed! Yes, the Sacred Mountain Dome is a very special accommodation and we look forward to seeing you again.