“Pleasant Stay near Guatemala City Airport”

Hostal Villa Toscana
Ranked #4 of 53 Guatemala City B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 22, 2013

After a long day;s travel, I was met at the airport and driven the 3 minute ride to Villa Tosacana. The staff was very friendly and helped me settle in and organized my onward travel. The room was small but clean and nice. The shower had a strong flow and hot water as advertised. The WiFi single was excellent as well. i had a nice breakfast with good coffee and then set out. All in all, it was a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great place to stay - your accommodation includes breakfast. We stayed for one night as we were looking for a place close to the airport (which is literally 5 mins away). The cost also includes transportation to the airport.

We arrived from Panajachel in torrential rain but were greeted by a wonderful host, who even was able to order food for us.

Recommend if you need a place to stay close to the airport.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Matrimonial Room - Comfy King Size Bed
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had intended on writing a review after we stayed here in February of 2012. This is a bit late, but I must comment.
We were on our way home from a whirlwind tour of Guatemala and decided to stay at Villa Toscana because of the close proximity to the airport.
When we arrived we were greeted by an English speaking person who was very friendly and got us settled in with no problem. Our rooms were spotless, the beds comfortable and we had a nice view of the garden.
They had a menu and we decided to order something in. Again the staff were helpful, our meal of chicken arrived and we sat in their lovely garden area to eat it.
We had use of internet, although it was better in one room than the other.
Our sleep was great even though we needed to get up in the wee hours of the morning to get to the airport for our flight home. The young fellow who checked us out in the morning provided us with a juice and granola bars to get us through since we weren't able to be there for breakfast. Arrangements had been made for us to be delivered to the airport by taxi. I think our taxi driver was the most cheerful young fellow in Guatemala. When I commented on it, his response was," I am so blessed to have a job, I don't mind that it is early in the morning."
Over all it was a great stay and if we were to go back to Guatemala, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gbjan
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Summary: A nice hostel/hotel, we only stayed for a night before traveling through Guatemala. Good:
- Massive comfortable bed, clean bathroom, cable TV, nice terrace with view of well maintained garden
- Secure location within gated community
- Decent breakfast included in the price
Bad
- Check in was a little lengthy
- Quite expensive

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have a view of the garden which is nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was just passing through and had a one night stay.
I was given a good clean ensuite nicely decorated room with internet. The service from the free pickup at the airport to the next day breakfast was very friendly, nice and efficient. All for U$ 38.00. The best bargain I've ever had and I travel a lot.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Simple, small, guesthouse type hotel very 5 minutes from airport in gated community. Staff, particularly Sergio, is very friendly and accommodating. Very quiet, safe to walk around neighborhood during the day and go to the tienda outside the gated community. I really enjoyed sitting in the garden in the backyard and reading and checking my email (WIFI available). Price seems reasonable as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Having a 6 AM flight to Mexico City, I decided to stay at Villa Toscana based on the reviews. Perhaps the "hostal" should have given me a hint, but I was underwhelmed by the single room I was given. If you've ever had a full-body MRI, you'll know the feeling. Unless you're really not bothered by claustrophobic conditions, you're better off taking a larger room, which was fine for the short amount of time I was going to spend there. The place has more of a rooming house atmoshere than that of a hotel. It was pretty empty that night, but I can only imagine the noise of the comings and goings when it was full. In fairness, it was clean, secure, quiet and definitely convenient to the airport, though $6 for a 2 minute taxi ride seemed a bit steep. And if you're expecting to walk to a nearby restaurant, that isn't happening. I also wanted a nice hot shower before I went to bed in anticipation of my 3:30 AM wake-up (which was totally unnecessary. Don't believe them. You DON'T need to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight!) Maybe I'm not the sharpest tack on the bulletin board, but in 65 years, I've pretty much learned how to operate a faucet. I turned this one (one only) to what I deemed to be full hot, and got nothing but cool water. Not my idea of a good shower. When I got out, I found that the shower head had somehow shot water over the curtain, right into my toiletries bag, which was full of paper based items. Needless to say, everything was sopping wet.

Now the very attentive and helpful Asucena came up and helped me clean up the mess, which took several towels and a clever use of a hair dryer, but I really could have spent that valuable time sleeping, instead of cleaning up a mess caused by inattentive maintenance. Asucena also taught me the subtle nuances of this particular shower, which should have come with instructions, for those of us who apparently are idiots.

For me, the place had it's plusses and minuses, but the high amount of excellent reviews makes me wonder how high these reviewers standards really are.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo