“Very nice hotel, good price, excellent location.”

Mercure Casa Veranda Guatemala
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Rooms are large, with nice beds and furniture, small kitchen, iron and board, good TV channels and fast internet, although wifi won't reach everywhere in your room. There is a small gym, ATM, restaurant and a couple of computers at the lobby you can use.

Watch out that check in is at 3 PM with an early check in fee of USD 30.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Diego B

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip and was pleasantly surprised by the size of the rooms. As someone else stated you buy a room and get a suite. There is a mall right across the street and a couple blocks down there is a nice bar. The staff we more that willing to help but is appears that they only have bilingual people working at the front desk. So if you go to the bar and try to order a drink and you don't speak Spanish be prepared for them to run to the front desk to get someone to translate.(this is the reason for the 4 stars) Besides that the breakfast was delicious and there was plenty of it. They had a nice mix of local and traditional American items on the buffet.

Friendly tips: Let the front desk call you a cab. Do not walk out on the street and try to get your own,it is safer this way.Take a cab everywhere. When checking in, ask them to unlock your sliding glass doors to the balconies.

I would definitely stay there the next time in Guatemala

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is comfortable, and right in the heart of zona 10, within easy walking distance to nightlife, restaurants and business hotels in Guate city. The staff was friendly, the rooms were nice, and the breakfast buffet was sufficiently satisfying- lots of guatemalan breakfast faves, and an omelette station. There were some significant problems, though- the wireless internet signal was not strong enough to reach the 7th floor, although the staff was very accomodating and brought a modem to my room so i could work. Others staying on lower floors experienced the same problem. also, the water in the sink never got hot, and showers were not very hot during popular showering times (morning at 7/7:30ish). Finally, although the cost of breakfast is included in the price of the room, it was broken out as a separate charge on the bill, which may cause a problem for business travellers who have to do expense reports.

Room Tip: lower floors probably have a better chance for wifi access, but there may be an issue with noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had an average experience with this hotel. Staff is helpful and welcoming.
The bad part of my story is the change of rooms. First room I was giving was very dirty, didn't smell good and curtains were somehow brownish. Not so sure if the original color was white. Fortunately the girl at the front desk found another room for me. The second room looked cleaner, better, newer. There I had a good stay, quiet, considering that the city gets very noisy at rush hour. Food wasn’t the best but so far my only reference of Guatemalan food.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Excellent hotel in a good neighborhood of the city, 5 minutes from the airport and good restaurants in the area. Very helpful staff, and there is also a pretty nice restaurant with international food. On my way back, I stayed there again and definately would go back next time.

Room Tip: They upgraded me to master suite and the second time, I was given an upgrade again, ask for it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank dbeeson
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I arrived at this hotel two hours before their posted check-in ( 3:00 pm ) and was told that my room will be ready in 40 minutes, when I returned they told me 10 more minutes. I decided to sit down at the lobby to wait and half and hour passed being ignored by the front desk.
I asked the girl to tell me the truth and not keep me waiting longer and she just shrugged and didn`t give me a straight answer.
I asked for a city map and they didn`t have one.
I decided to leave and came back 3 hours later. When they took me to my room it was a double bed and not the junior suite I had booked.
One morning "somebody" called my room twice waking me up. When I complained they told me that they wouldn`t know who did even though all calls incoming and outgoing from the rooms are recorded.
Management should have a talk with the two girls working that day ( 11/02/12 ).
Some people don`t like certain people and shouldn`t be working in the service industry.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ricofort
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel is still a very good bargain for location and size of rooms. The rooms are huge, well kept and comfortable. I had a couple of glitches i service this time. The check in is at 3pm and even thouugh you know they have rooms available they won;t check you in before then which seems a bit annoying. Also, the computers in the business center had issues and my room service was one hour late once. Despite these minor incidents I still recommend the hotel highly.

Room Tip: If you plan on an early check in. CAll and make sure you get whatever is available.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business