“Good on the verge of very good, but small details need improvement”

Mercure Casa Veranda Guatemala
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Good on the verge of very good, but small details need improvement”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This hotel for buisness travelers is very good as it sits on a safe area for Guatemala. Rooms are big, beds and pillows fantastic,bathrooms very appropriate. I would recommend this hotel but seriously advise the staff to improve on some details. Breakast serving is a killer if you are time constraint, as the restaurante is a little small and the waiters struggle badly to serve you, it is obvious they are understaff for the rush hour. The omelette station has a very average cook rather clumsy. Some other small details, the towels need to improve vastly, they look and feel worn out. Finally no kleenex in the bathroom, such a small detail that becomes huge,specially if you have a cold.

Room Tip: high up ask upgrade to junior suite if possible, is worth it!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Stayed here for three nights this week, while attending a business event which also took place at the hotel. Prior to my arrival I had requested airport pickup, as I was arriving late at night, and had not been to Guatemala City before. When I exited customs, the hotel driver was waiting, holding a sign with my name. Well worth the US$5 charge in my opinion. I had booked a deluxe suite online, at a good rate, and was allocated a room on the 12th floor, with amazing views over the city. Large living room, kitchenette, and separate bedroom with two double beds, Very comfortable beds, excellent nights sleep. Bathroom was unspectacular, and I would prefer a walk in shower with glass doors rather than the high sides bathtub with shower curtain that exists. Good wireless internet and digital safe. Excellent buffet breakfast included, with friendly service from the staff. Ate lunch one day, found the service to be friendly but extremely slow.

Mini bar items are extremely expensive - US$2.20 for a small bottle of water really is a rip off.

Location is great, easy walk to plenty of bars, restaurants and nighlife if that is what you are looking for.

Overall excellent hotel in Guatemala City.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 15 nights in February / March. I can highly recommend it. The staff at the hotel were super-helpful and friendly. I felt very welcome and looked after. Taxis were easy to get from the hotel and I was given plenty of useful advice regarding my personal safety. I certainly felt comfortable and safe in the hotel. The room was spacious, clean and had a wonderful view over the city. The very pleasant person who cleaned my room was excellent and helpful (she managed to get hold of a vase for the flowers I had received from my husband). The breakfast was delicious - especially the fresh papaya and pineapple. I also enjoyed the freshly cooked omelette most mornings. The only problem was that it was possible to hear other guests in the adjacent rooms: this disrupted my sleep once or twice but generally, it was fine. The hotel location was good: close to the airport and in the main business area, close to bars, shops and restaurants. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Geneva
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We had a great experience during one week in the Mercura.
Room was clean, room service fast and efficient, Guatemalan tasty breakfast, helpful and smiling staff.
P.S: It would be better to just have glasses and spoons in the small American kitchen in the suite, and a box of Kleenex. Try to use the hoover for the carpet bedrooms and living room because when you make the room it's the only thing missing..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Since security is a major concern in Guatemala city, i must say this hotel made us feel very secure. The rooms are spacious and nice with a great view from some of them. Breakfast was okay with decent variety. Staff is very helpful and courteous.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I booked this hotel for my family of four based Tripadvisor reviews. We had two rooms that were large , clean and comfortable. The location is also excellent. Our problems however started at the front desk !! I do have to state that I speak no Spanish but after travelling three weeks in rural Mexico and Guatemala this had not caused us any problems until we got to the Mecure. Firstly we were travelling with our two young children but they had put us in rooms on two different floors - wheres the common sense in that. No amount of discussion was able to change this situation. Secondly our package included buffet breakfast but as we had to check out the next morning at 5:45am to get to the airport we would be too early for the restaurant which opened at 6am. We asked the Front Desk Mgr if we have a credit for the breakfast which we could use for dinner. 30 mins later I was told no not possible. I asked them to reconsider as I didn't believe this was reasonable why could they not substitute the value of one meal towards another ? 30 mins later the answer was again no. Having spotted their Tripadvisor sign proudly displayed on the front desk I informed them that I would be reviewing the hotel and including my poor experience. Again no change. Finally I asked them if they could provide us with a box breakfast that we could take with us to the airport. 30 mins later I got the call to say that they were giving us a US$13 credit each towards dinner. Obviously they worked out that it was going to be too much hassle to provide the box breakfast and therefore better off to give us a credit for dinner and shut us up. I have to say that the room service meal we received was excellent. Another problem we encountered though was that whilst on enquiry we were told not to drink the water from the taps the Mecure did not provide any complimentary water bottles in the rooms, not even for cleaning your teeth !!! Even in the most remote towns we stayed in during our travels in Guatemala bottled water was always made available with 1-2 bottles being complimentary. After a good night sleep we checked out the next morning at 5:45am and guess what their was no note on the system regarding the credit towards dinner, on top of this they wanted to charge us for using two small bottles of water. Then as if to add insult to injury then also told me that their was a US$10 charge for the in room coffee service that we had used even though there was no notice of this in the room.
Folks this is a very comfortable hotel, well located, with huge rooms and the food is great but this has to be the most frustrating, penny pinching and incompetent management that I have ever experienced from a large international chain hotel. You can't excuse this experience because it's located in a poor central american city, we experienced some of the best hospitality we have received anywhere in the world in Guatemala. Here's a tip for you Mercure Casa Veranda take your management team to the Hotel Cirilo in Antigua Guatemala, Ricardo and his team of local ladies will give you a masterclass in real hotel management and hospitality !!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank KiwidadSydney
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The hotel is centrally located in the Zona Viva. Good location for business travel. The rooms are large and the service good. I can;t really think of the downside except for the fact that there's no pool. The price and location make up for that. Breakfast is OK and room service limited but convenient.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business