“A decent option” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Xamanek Hostel

Xamanek Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guatemala City
Xamanek Hostel
You added Xamanek Hostel to your Saves list
13 calle 3 - 57 zona 10 | Zona Viva, Guatemala City, Guatemala   |
“A decent option”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Located on a safe street in a safe part of town, the hostel is simple but clean. Staff was friendly and helpful, breakfast was decent, and there's a good kitchen and internet. It's close to the transmetro, so easy access into the center of town. Guate gets a bad rep, but we found the city has a big focus on rejuvenating streets and parks, and some of the sites (palace, relief map, avenida 6a walking street) were really nice!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank mpfeif

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Guatemala City, Guatemala
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

the hostel is clean,the showers are perfect,BUT:i went for a trip for a couple of days and they offered me to leave my bigger backpack there,in a room,where only the staff members had access to.when i came back i recognized,that several things,like my ear-phones,my memory-flash and so on has gone.i was disappointed (not because of the things,which were stolen,BECAUSE OF THE ACT!),but the administrator of the hostel blamed at least ME,that i left my things there...and also blamed me,that i made up a STORY,which can impossibly be true....WHAT I LEARNT FROM THAT:even in zona 10,in one of the most recommended hostels,YOU CAN'T TRUST THE PEOPLE!so if somebody still wants to go there,LOOK AFTER YOUR THINGS!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sara K

Travelers are raving about these Guatemala City hotels

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

Service: The hotel provides excellent service.

Room: The room was comfortable.

Location: The location, Zone 10 near Reforma Avenue, is the best because it is a residential area where there are many nice hotels, a variety of very good restaurants, banks, taxis and a shopping mall within walking distance.
Access to Internet and telephone service is also provided.

What I liked the most, was the friendly staff at Xamanek.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone seeking a clean, convenient place to stay
in Guatemala City.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank DiaDos
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

The rooms and bathrooms are always clean and tidy. It's in a great spot in Guatemala City, right in the heart of Zona 10, where all the action is, including great restaurants and bars, and fairly close to the airport. The staff there is always friendly and helpful with whatever they can help with. And they always remember return guests! The rates are reasonable, given the location and the facilities - kitchen, lounge area, computer with fast internet, etc. - and it's great to have a choice of dorm or private room. It's my place of choice whenever I'm in the city.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank hewsie
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

Told we would be picked up in car for $5US but when we arrived they charged us $10US.

The dorm beds were meant to be $15US each (as on their website and confirmed by email), which is already crazily expensive for a hostel in Guatemala. When we arrived (at 9pm at night) they charged us $20US each which I thought was absolutely ridiculous.

We didn't venture out at night as although it is in the safe part of town, the side street that it's in still looks quite scary to step out of at night.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

Stayed here for one night upon arriving around 9 PM in Guatemala City. Very short trip from airport and not expensive to get to.

I stayed in a private room with private bathroom. The room was fairly clean and basic. There was a locker for which you might want to bring a basic lock. Security didn't seem to be an issue but one never knows.

I paid $35 which was a decent value. It's one block from the Intercontinental where I stayed at the end of my trip, but is a only slightly more than 1/3 the price. Zona 1 where the majority of discount accomodations are found can feel quite dodgy in part so staying here in the Zona Viva has a lot of pluses. There are many cheap restaurants nearby including 'Ta Contento which was excellent.

Reception didn't appear to speak much English and when making a reservation via email I was glad that I could write in Spanish.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room was so-so
  • Stayed May 2008
2 Thank David Z
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

I had a terrible time here, but I can see the advantages for others.

First, the location is great. It's safe to walk at night, and there are a lot of restaurants and bars to frequent in the Zona Viva. It's relatively clean, there's one computer with internet access, and a living room with t.v. If you're young, traveling with a group of friends, and don't care that the tv's on full blast from 7AM to midnight, this is the place to stay in Guate.

I travel solo, and I have work to get done, so this place was awful for me. The sound traveled directly into my room. There's no wifi, and the only place to use the internet is directly next to the tv. Although breakfast is supposed to be included, it's really just bread and bad coffee. The hot water in the shower was, well, not hot.

When I showed up I made the mistake of paying for the room before looking at the place. I know, rookie mistake. After spending 30 seconds listening to a group of 10 guys yell at each other over the Chuck Norris movie, I realized that this place was far from tranquil. I immediately told the receptionist that I would not be staying the following night, but since I had already paid I could only get 50% of the 90% for the night I had just paid for. Fine, my mistake. Also, I had to endure 20 minutes of bullying by the manager who insisted that I wanted to stay, I just didn't know it. (She offered me my own room at $50; I explained that for that much money, I might as well stay at the Best Western.) They didn't have any change, so they told me they'd pay me the next morning. I didn't pressure them. Again, my mistake. It turns out that there's no receptionist for two hours each morning. As I write this, I'm waiting for the 10AM person to show up so I can leave this place. I'm aware that I had an unusually poor experience, but it's still not particularly endearing.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The incessant yelling and blaring television
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business