“Genuine warmth and delicious meals in a unique setting: a gem!”

Posada Belen Museo Inn
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 28, 2011

After 20 years away from Guate's Zona 1, I returned last week(2/19 and 2/26/11), this time with my 13 year old daughter, to stay for a night coming and a night leaving the country at Posada Belen. The stay was magical for us both. The hotel is a former home and it truly is homey, filled with antique furniture, paintings and archeological finds from the owner's travels. The rooms are spacious and adorned simply with tipica bed spreads, wall hangings and tiling. My daughter was thrilled to discover several live turtles occupying the courtyard, itself filled with orchid-bearing trees and wrought iron seating. Don Rafael, the manager, was warm and accommodating even though we arrived late and hungry both coming and going from our travels in Antigua and at Atitlan. He readily prepared a delicious Chapin breakfast our first morning, and another remarkable meal was our send-off a week later. He and his son Manuel, along with other staff Nilo, Juan and owner Francesca were unfailingly helpful and available.

Zone 1 has been avoided by many in recent years, and my daughter and I only ventured out briefly (this was her first trip to Central America, and our time was limited), but the 6a Avenida has been transformed into a walking mall by closing it to traffic , and security personnel are omnipresent. We were promptly retrieved from the airport and picked up from Posada Belen each time we sough a taxi/shuttle, We look forward to returning to Posada Belen on our next trip to Guatemala.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SrNina
There are newer reviews for Posada Belen Museo Inn

Reviewed February 15, 2011

Just returned with 14 friends from our yearly trek to the Maya world, and stayed at Posada Belen. This is my third time. The beautiful home dating to the 1800s in Zona 1, downtown, opens its welcoming arms where you immediately feel at home. They always have the rooms assigned and without any questions take our luggage to our rooms. The kitchen, manager and rest of the staff are there for your every whim. Rooms are ample and food is terrific. Vegetarian? No problem. Don't like chicken? No problem. Because we were a group, the hotel was occupied almost entirely by us. Sitting by its tiny garden where turtles live and enjoying a glass of wine makes it even better. Don't expect luxuries. The place is immaculately clean. If you're staying in Guatemala City on your way to and from Maya ruins, this is the place to be. We highly recommend it.

Marta and a group from the Institute of Maya Studies, Miami

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank siliobarber
Reviewed November 14, 2010

we stayed just a few days and we loved it. The hotel is convenient located in zona 1, at walking distance of the market and the 6th Avenida. The neighbourhood is very quiet, the staff did everything to make our stay comfortable. A place where you want to come back.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank tulix54
Reviewed September 27, 2010

If you want the feel of being transported back a hundred years and staying as a guest in someone's home in Guatemala City, Posada Belen is for you. Very charming, very Old Guatemala. The rooms which are decorated with local bedspreads and paintings open onto a small but lush courtyard, sitting area, and dining room that will transport you back in time. Francesca, the owner, could not be any nicer, helpful, or more accomodating. We booked the hotels, transfers, and excursions through guatemalaweb.com, her tour company and everything was very well arranged. The dinner we had was excellent, but I thought the breakfast was overpriced by Guatemalan standards. All in all, the hotel is a great value. It is in the historic section within walking distance of the central market (but I would take a taxi anywhere at night). The Guatemalian staff was very friendly. The only downsides were the bathroom which was tiny (but provided the necessary facilities) and the slightly-musty old-house smell which may have been due to the rainy season. A great place to stay your first and last night if you want to experience the real Guatemala.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KathyinCostaRica
Reviewed September 15, 2010

When I was planning my visit to Guatemala, I found Posada Belen's website. I contacted the owner, Senora Francesca Sanchinelli, and within a few days she emailed me a suggested itinerary with prices.

After making a few changes, I settled on a 10-day discovery tour, which included the market of Chichicastenango, Lake Atitlan and Panajachel, Antigua, and Tikal, using Posada Belen as my base in Guatemala City.

My Spanish is more than adequate for solo travel, and yes, I could have saved a few dollars by making all of the arrangements myself, but I wanted my money to go to local people and not an impersonal tour company.

From the moment I exited the airport with my luggage and found a smiling and welcoming taxi driver holding a sign with my name on it, I felt that I was among friends.

The inn is hidden away on a small street, within easy walking distance of the Parque Central, and it is a true traveler's oasis. Th entire staff was delightful and helpful in every way. Breakfasts were delicious, and so was the one dinner I ate there. Although not glamorous, Posada Belen is clean, comfortable, quiet and safe. I felt like a guest in a private home.

All of the arrangements went off without a hitch: transfers, sight seeing, accommodations, and there were some unexpected, but fortuitous changes.

Due to the heavy rains, Sra Francesca advised me against the planned volcano climb and instead she arranged for me to have a excellent walking tour of Antigua.

In Panajachel, I arrived at the dock a few minutes late for the tour of the lake, but the transport company arranged for a smaller boat to take me to the first village to rendezvous with the ferry.

By staying overnight at the hotel in Tikal, I had the option of taking the late afternoon guided tour, when it is cooler, less crowded, and there are more animals and birds to be seen. Also, my entrance ticket to the archeological park was stamped with the next day's date, which allowed me to make a second visit to the temples the next morning.

I expected to enjoy my visit to Guatemala, but Sra. Francesca made it unforgettable!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Jaswpbfla813
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We love this place.Stayed here twice on 2 visits to Guatemala, Hopefully we'll stay there again someday.Very charming place.Staff very eager to provide you a comfortable stay. We traveled through out Guatemala. Francisca arranged your lodging & travel. The cost was very reasonable & most convenient. We don't speak Spanish so her help was valuable beyond words.One draw back is the water pressure in the shower.Not good.However it was a little inconvenience compared to be surrounded by Maya artifacts,great food,& very nice people. I think we stayed in every room at one time or another.Loved then all.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BlueFiddler
Reviewed August 18, 2010

A wonderfully peaceful, hospitable spot in the centre of bustling Zona 1 of this teeming city. Warmest imaginable welcome from the incredibly obliging staff, a lovely light meal room, comfortable beds, hot water, 6 pet turtles in a leafy little courtyard - who could want more.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family