“A diamond in the rough”

Posada Belen Museo Inn
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Despite being located in the one of the least attractive areas of Guatemala Cit y, the Posada Belen Inn is a great place to stay. Its reasonable cost, incredibly helpful and friendly staff and interesting array of other travellers from around the world, make staying here a memorable and enjoyable experience. The interior of the inn especially the small garden courtyard is a pleasant place to relax after a spending a day wandering around Guatemala City.

Francesca and Rene, owners of the Posada Belen, are specialists in arranging travel and accommodation for their guests to the rest of this beautiful and fascinating country. They will arrange your itinerary either before or after you arrive – it’s your choice. You can also leave your luggage at the Posada Inn while you travel in Guatemala for a few days or longer.

The Posada Belen Inn is a wonderful introduction to Guatemala.

Toronto Canada

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank JJAudubon

Reviewed August 14, 2007

Francesca runs this homey little Hotel along with her tour packaging business. I stayed here for several nights while traveling between Copan and Tikal. The overall feel of the Belen is like a bed and breakfast. The staff is very friendly and attentive, but not obtrusive. They made sure I got my coffee at 4:30AM on travel days! The rooms are clean and comfortable, but if you want 4-Star elegance, best look elsewhere. A little grit and funk is part of the experience. It was quiet at night and I rested comfortably.

The meals were simple but delicious. The best soup I had on my trip was here at the Belen. The dining room has display cabinets with Mayan artifacts, and there is a pretty good library with novels and cultural reads. You can commune with your fellow travelers in the dining room or the little garden just outside.

I changed my travel itinerary one night, and wasn't able to get through to Francesca. She stayed up late that night calling all of the hotels in Antigua looking for me to make sure I connected with my bus the next morning. What concierge would do that?

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed August 1, 2007

My mom, three kids and I stayed here for one night prior to going to Xela for a month.

The staff here is so wonderful. We felt like family. The place is so warm and a great place. The food was excellent (yes, a bit overpriced). It is so small that you quickly meet the other guests and share stories.

(Unfortunately, I have a six-year-old that has a few "issues" and kept wandering into other peoples rooms and other places he did not belong. We decided to cancel our stay there on our way back from Xela at the end of the month. I cancelled two weeks in advance and was told I would still have to pay for one night. Part of their website says that you need to give two weeks notice not to receive a penalty and another part says that once the reservation is made, you cannot cancel. So we were able to cancel without penalty. HOWEVER, be sure of your plans so that you are not charged for cancelling. We were just lucky.)

I would stay here again (under different circumstances concerning my children). It really is a great place. A charm.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
posadabelen, Owner at Posada Belen Museo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2007

Yes I hate the cancellation policy too, but so far has being the only way to stop not being able to serve other guests, since we have only 10 rooms reserving 1 room means 10% of our availability to be blocked. We usually get small groups wanting to stay with us, before we had the new cancellation policy very often did got "just in case reservations" that where canceled for any reason, this caused us to reject groups or reservations of people that really wanted our services, plus lots of time and expenses in administrative work and international toll free fees. It is a well stablished in travel industry to charge for reservation cancellations or changes. We did not invented it, however we give a test time and NOT ONE of the reviewers where charge, including the one that voted us low without ever being in the hotel and said he was charged, wich is not very nice because he never tried the inn, as it can be contrasted in this other related review...Our standars are keep high.

We are a very small and inexpensive inn so we feel is not fair to have all the losses just on our side...so please if you are reading this and want a room with Us, only reserve if you are positive of using the services because the trial time is over and YES we actually have the following cancellation policy:

1 non refundable night on reservations of 3 or less nights, on reservations of 4 or more continuos nights, 3 non refundable nights will be charge in any case of cancellations or no show.
A paypal pre-payment is needed to guarantee the reservations.

Lastly we loved to have her family with us (including the children) and We are glad she enjoyed the inn and we hate to have this policy too but just consider that a confirm reservation is just a contract like any other one and it has 2 sides, benefits and penalties. Thank you very much for helping us make that clear here and for your lovely review. Next time you need a room you will get a good discount.

About our $11 menu being priced please consider that we do not have the sales volume of a MacDonalds or Pollo Campero, what we do have is people ready to make you any day or time a delicious candle lighted fresh and safe home style meal after you land late and starving, because in the multimillion dollars plane you came, did not give you or offer any food...and all of this in a small, inexpensive 10 rooms museo Inn.

Cordialmente
Rene & Francesca

Reviewed July 14, 2007

We had to cancel our stay at this hotel because our plane got delayed for two days, changing our travel plans. We were able to cancel nearly a week in advance, but we were still charged a full night stay. They have informed me this is their policy - just be aware that if you are looking for a flexible place to stay, or if your plans might change, this hotel probably isn't for you.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank LBCTraveler
Reviewed April 21, 2007

The people at the Posada Belen are so lovely - we had a wonderful stay there. There was confusion with our reservation, but Francesca rushed over from her home and fixed us up. The dinner was very tasty, but it's also a little pricey compared to similar Guatemalan restaurants. However, the fact that it was pulled together and served to us when we arrived dead tired was like a miracle.

I heard so much about it being a dangerous area, but during the day it's wonderful walking around the neighborhood. There are lots of interesting churches and the plaza nearby. Also, the Central Market may not have the charm of outdoor markets, but we found it quite interesting... possibly because we were the only tourists there.

The Posada Belen was very nice for my husband and children, but my parents were accustomed to something a bit more mainstream, so only stay there if you want an experience that wouldn't be duplicated in the U.S. Of course, why go to Guatemala for a U.S. experience?

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank sablatt
Reviewed March 18, 2007

The Pasado Belen Museo Inn was the nicest hotel that I stayed in during my Central America tour. The hotel is owned and run by a wonderful married couple Francesca and René. Francesca, Rafael and the rest of the staff there, made me feel welcome from the moment that I arrived. The security there is excellent, and I had the feeling that I was staying in somebody’s beautiful home, as opposed to the impersonal feeling that I have often had in many other hotels. The Posada Belen is filled with so many Guatemalan artifacts and antiques, that it resembles a museum. There is also a very nice garden there, and all the rooms are decorated in authentic Guatemalan motifs.

The staff at the Posada Belen prepares excellent home-cooked meals, and they are very flexible about meal times. I felt as though I had the quintessential Guatemalan experience when I stayed there! Last, but not least, the Posada Belen is very reasonably priced (a fraction of what I would have paid if I stayed in a major chain hotel).

When booking the Posada Belen, I mentioned in an email that I wanted to take a tour around Guatemala. Francesca and René responded that they could arrange a week’s tour for me (the Guatemala Classic Tour), which was truly wonderful. It was a comprehensive tour of Lake Atitlan, Antigua and Tikal. The tour was very flexible and was arranged according to my schedule and my needs, and it was always with small groups of people. The hotels on the tour were all excellent. I am very grateful to Francesca and René since they arranged it so that I went on a truly marvelous tour. Additionally, they arranged airport transfers and for a taxi to take me to the 2 best museums in Guatemala City.

I will definitely stay at the Posada Belen again when I return to Guatemala City. I would feel like I was returning to visit good friends or close family there, since the ambiance was so wonderful, and the Francesca and the staff were so gracious and hospitable to me. I would advise anyone to definitely stay there.

Jeff A. from Brooklyn, NY USA

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
5  Thank Wowvoyager
Reviewed March 9, 2007

We have just come to the end of our 5th stay in Guatemala, which we have been visiting since November 2001. On our first visit we discovered, via internet, Posada Belen and their fantastic web site. We have made use of their travel services for all our travels in Guatemala and enjoyed staying at Posada Belen in Guatemala City. There, we have met many others who, like ourselves, are doing voluntary work in Guatemala.

The travel service is excellent and we have managed over the years to visit most parts of Guatemala easily – with very reliable transport arrangements between our various destinations and good hotels, at a very reasonable cost. Each of our trips has been custom made to our requests.

The Posada Belen has become like a home from home. Francesca and Rene, the owners, and their staff are most welcoming each time we arrive. The hotel itself is charming, filled with Mayan artifacts and Guatemalan crafts. The bedrooms are comfortable and attractive. The food is good and unpretentious. Most important, we feel very secure there. Guatemala City is notorious for the high level of crime. Apart from some places that are definitely worth visiting in Guatemala City it is a convenient stopover when visiting opposite sides of the country, also if one arrives in Guatemala late in the day or has an early flight departure.

We plan to be returning to stay again and making use of their travel services. For us, the Posada Belen is the only place to stay in Guatemala City. There are still parts of Guatemala left for us to discover and of course those places which we return to time and time again.

Well done Francesca and Rene for providing such an excellent service! We recommend the Posada Belen and their website wholeheartedly.

Stephen & Jacqueline Vassallo from Malta (Europe)

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple