“The best place to stay in Guatemala City!”

Posada Belen Museo Inn
Ranked #11 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brooklyn, NY
“The best place to stay in Guatemala City!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2007

The Pasado Belen Museo Inn was the nicest hotel that I stayed in during my Central America tour. The hotel is owned and run by a wonderful married couple Francesca and René. Francesca, Rafael and the rest of the staff there, made me feel welcome from the moment that I arrived. The security there is excellent, and I had the feeling that I was staying in somebody’s beautiful home, as opposed to the impersonal feeling that I have often had in many other hotels. The Posada Belen is filled with so many Guatemalan artifacts and antiques, that it resembles a museum. There is also a very nice garden there, and all the rooms are decorated in authentic Guatemalan motifs.

The staff at the Posada Belen prepares excellent home-cooked meals, and they are very flexible about meal times. I felt as though I had the quintessential Guatemalan experience when I stayed there! Last, but not least, the Posada Belen is very reasonably priced (a fraction of what I would have paid if I stayed in a major chain hotel).

When booking the Posada Belen, I mentioned in an email that I wanted to take a tour around Guatemala. Francesca and René responded that they could arrange a week’s tour for me (the Guatemala Classic Tour), which was truly wonderful. It was a comprehensive tour of Lake Atitlan, Antigua and Tikal. The tour was very flexible and was arranged according to my schedule and my needs, and it was always with small groups of people. The hotels on the tour were all excellent. I am very grateful to Francesca and René since they arranged it so that I went on a truly marvelous tour. Additionally, they arranged airport transfers and for a taxi to take me to the 2 best museums in Guatemala City.

I will definitely stay at the Posada Belen again when I return to Guatemala City. I would feel like I was returning to visit good friends or close family there, since the ambiance was so wonderful, and the Francesca and the staff were so gracious and hospitable to me. I would advise anyone to definitely stay there.

Jeff A. from Brooklyn, NY USA

• Liked — The people who own it are wonderful. They care very much about the guests and the hotel.
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank Wowvoyager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Gozo, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2007

We have just come to the end of our 5th stay in Guatemala, which we have been visiting since November 2001. On our first visit we discovered, via internet, Posada Belen and their fantastic web site. We have made use of their travel services for all our travels in Guatemala and enjoyed staying at Posada Belen in Guatemala City. There, we have met many others who, like ourselves, are doing voluntary work in Guatemala.

The travel service is excellent and we have managed over the years to visit most parts of Guatemala easily – with very reliable transport arrangements between our various destinations and good hotels, at a very reasonable cost. Each of our trips has been custom made to our requests.

The Posada Belen has become like a home from home. Francesca and Rene, the owners, and their staff are most welcoming each time we arrive. The hotel itself is charming, filled with Mayan artifacts and Guatemalan crafts. The bedrooms are comfortable and attractive. The food is good and unpretentious. Most important, we feel very secure there. Guatemala City is notorious for the high level of crime. Apart from some places that are definitely worth visiting in Guatemala City it is a convenient stopover when visiting opposite sides of the country, also if one arrives in Guatemala late in the day or has an early flight departure.

We plan to be returning to stay again and making use of their travel services. For us, the Posada Belen is the only place to stay in Guatemala City. There are still parts of Guatemala left for us to discover and of course those places which we return to time and time again.

Well done Francesca and Rene for providing such an excellent service! We recommend the Posada Belen and their website wholeheartedly.

Stephen & Jacqueline Vassallo from Malta (Europe)

• Liked — Downtown location; security
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank steveGozo
Clevedon, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2007

This hotel is an absolute sanctuary in the heart of the very busy City of Guatemala. It is run by a delightful woman called Francesca and her husband Rene. We were made to feel so welcome and the rooms and beautiful central courtyard gave us a real taste of Guatemala and what was to come. All meals were available and of excellent quality.
Francesca was able to organise the whole of our holiday for us from there and the whole trip went smoothly and efficiently. When we returned there at the end of a 10 day trip, we felt we were coming home - it felt so safe and peaceful, and everyone who was staying there felt part of this lovely family.

Stayed January 2007
5 Thank vallings
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

I was in Guatemala for a period of 6 weeks from Jan. 5, 2007 until Feb. 17, 2007. I started my trip with the Posada Belen. I felt safe and secure when I got in late the first night and saw a driver holding my name in his hand. I was then greeted at the PB by Rafael.

What a sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle of the city! You step into a time machine back into 1871 and the bubbling fountain and 5 turtles around it just add to it. I felt warm and cozy in my room of mayan artifacts and woven linens. I liked the dining room that was set for one table to encourage guests to meet each other.

The owners, Rene and Francesca Belen, are part of my family now. Rene is an engineer but is quite knowledgeable about Mayan history since his father is an archeologist. Rene was born and raised in this colonial home and it eventually became a guest house. Francesca is a like a sister and she is well know around the country as a travel agent. I would pop back into the PB every 10 days for her to plan my next trip. I really want to thank her for getting me the best room in a nice hotel in Flores (which is my fav town in Gua). I had room 303 in Casa Azul with a huge roof top terrace overlooking the lake for only $30.

A note about the hot water; you turn it all the way on and count to 10 and then turn it slowly off. I actually got too hot and had to add cold.

The 4 guys that work at PB are fantastic. I want to thank Rafael, Enil, Juan and Daniel for making me feel welcome. Juan is a great cook and it was nice to have breakfast and dinner inside. I usually at lunch at the market or town square (10 min walk).

love to you all from Karin in Alaska
(estoy mucho frio!)

• Liked — warm and cozy atmosphere
  • Disliked — no bathtub
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
7 Thank Karin_Alaska
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2007

I went for a vacation and I had the time of my life.

When I got there, I was amazed at how clean and peaceful the whole place looked. Never had I felt so relaxed, safe and comfortable. The owners were very friendly and made me feel very welcomed. The bedrooms were very spacious, clean, and the beds very comfortable you can be sure to have a good night sleep.

The attention form the staff was great; I had delicious traditional Guatemalan food. Rene and Francesca took care of everything. As a single female, I was afraid since I heard stories. However, everything was perfect, that I did not have to worry. They prepared all form scheduling the plane flight to a tour to one of the most ancient and historic places; Tikal, the experience there was incredible! The views of the places I visit were amazing.

Thank you! :)

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank Cyberstorm
Salem, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2007

I've stayed at Posada Belen twice, : once in December '04 with my son and once in July '06 with my wife. The staff is helpful and friendly and will work with you if you have any needs, like getting a cab to the airport, wake up calls, taking care of laundry, holding luggage while you go elsewhere for a few days. It is quite a way from the airport (20 minutes by taxi, I think) and the more modern section of the city.

Food is decent , but not exceptional. There is only one dining room table, so you have an opportunity to interact with other guests, which I enjoyed both times. Met a group of linguists last summer who have been getting down one of the Maya languages and helping a women's weaving co-op at the same time. We bought a couple of pieces from them during supper--sent them a check after we got home to NJ.

An open area, a mini-courtyard (maybe 20'X20'), is more of less across the hall from the office and the guest rooms and adjacent to the dining room. It is quite small and has only one small table, as I recall, and a hammock. Not a place to be if the weather is on the cool side, which it was in December. A few turtles call it home.

The hotel's neighborhood is a bit foreboding, but we had no problems, and walked a few blocks to the Cenrtral Market, which was interesting.

This is a good, clean, basic hotel, though the bathroms are a bit cramped. It's a good value overall.

Stayed July 2006
4 Thank MayaFan
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2007

Splendid Place !!! The people and food is excelent. If you are looking for a quiet and friendly place, you have to come to Posada Belen. I spent three days and the colonial environment invites you to stay longer. I've read the previuos review regarding the lack of hot water but there was plenty of hot water in the shower. The surrounding area is a typical latin american commercial and crowded area with plenty of historical buildings. I've enjoyed the museums and Central Market a lot.

Stayed February 2007