“Quaint Backpacker Hotel on a Dodgy Street”

Posada Belen Museo Inn
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

While the place is probably welcoming for someone on a shoe-string, as a business traveller, I won't be back. I chose this based on existing reviews as a good place in Z1, but I didn't like it and didn't find it good value for money. Even my Guatemalan friends (who are not snobs) thought the street looked dodgy. The place itself is quaint and quite pretty, but the rooms are really basic. The beds were uncomfortable and the "safe" is a box in the floor that you close with a bike lock. Worse, the shower never got warm and the drain did not work, so I had cold water up to my ankles. The service was not anything special either. The interior has charm, this is true. Basically, it might be a step-up if you are on a budget, but this is a 2-star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Pros: The staff is very friendly and helpful. The posada is in a great location near restaurants, markets, street performers and lots of shopping. You can also get to the zoo via cab or foot (3 miles, I think) easily. It felt like a safe area of the city. The posada was very clean and the courtyard was great. There are a bunch of beds in the rooms, so you can easily sleep four (good for budget travelers).

Cons: While we do expect to pay more as tourists in a foreign country, we felt this place was more overpriced than normal. If on a budget, you may want to look into shuttles, taxis and meals on your own and not book through the hotel. The beds are very small, so if you want to sleep with your honey, it'll be a tight fit. Not very much privacy as the windows open to to the hallway.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Although I'm an avid traveller with lots of experience and exposure, I can still say that P.B. is one of my favorite places in the world. First off its just beautiful to look at. Make sure you take time to nose around Francesca's amazing collection. Her staff has been with her for years so there's a really friendly family vibe to the place. The food is basic but slow cooked with love and delicious. In my opinion, Guatemala City has an unfair bad rap and should absolutely be included in trips to S. America. I'm a single female traveller and thoroughly enjoyed checking out the sights and the markets.

If you're looking for a four star place with all the amenities look elsewhere, but if you're a relaxed go with the flow person looking some culture that's not already gentrified by tourism, this little gem is for you.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Guatemala city isn't the most picturesque or safe city, but we thought this little hotel was great. Close to all the sites, it was a safe, cozy haven. We stayed for one night after arriving, and had nothing to complain about. There were 3 of us in the room, and it was fine. The courtyard was really sweet and the employees very friendly. We didn't eat any food, but the dining room was quaint and filled with artifacts. They had wireless too which was great.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The neighborhood, street and exterior of Posada Belen look very uninviting but once you go through the door...WOW! This little hotel is full of color, character, and comfort. Once we settled in, we didn't want to leave. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I knew from the moment I found this place that I would LOVE it. Posada Belen is a diamond in the rough and should not be overlooked, especially if you are a person who seeks out the road less traveled in life. If your looking for an inauthentic hotel with a Spanish sounding name with Marriott or Sheraton slapped on the end of it, there are plenty around but it will be your loss. Posada Belen is an actual mini museum with REAL antique art and artifacts (not just replicas! )AAAAAAND the courtyard has Turtles! Need I say more?

Having just returned in late Oct from a shamanistic adventure/retreat in Peru, this trip to Guatemala was the vacation from my vacation. While I did go on two different day trips, which Francesca (owner) booked for me, I opted for a more chill experience and for the most part hung out at the hotel relaxing and recharging for 2013. Most people seem to be drawn to Antigua and from what I hear it's beautiful but this hidden gem was all I needed to relax and reflect. Oh and did I mention the Turtles?

The decor is enthralling, the food is delicious, (food always is when cooked with love), even the other travelers I encountered and conversed with were a delightful value add. Francesca called nightly to check in with me to ensure my needs were being met. I liked that there was core group of about 3 taxi drivers that regularly work with the hotel so when needed, they are prompt, friendly and familiar. Rafael and the rest of the staff make you feel like home. The Turtles do their part as well :). Can't wait to return and stay here!

Room Tip: My room was quite and comfortable with an amazing view of the adorable garden which I fell in love w...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Autumn H
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel is a real find-- right in the heart of the historical district. We stayed for a total of 6 days during our 2-week trip to Guatemala to visit family (I am Guatemalan-American and my mom is a Guatemalan emigre). We chose the Hotel based on the Trip Advisor reviews and pictures, and we couldn't have been more pleased: upon arrival, we were warmly greeted by caretaker/cook Juan and employee Nilo. The decor --right down to the ponchos on the hand-carved beds-- is totally artisanal, a classic blend of Guatemalan colonial and indigenous artesanias, including pre-Columbian artifacts. The meals were all delicious-- home-cooked and very typical of Guatemalan daily fare. If you're a light sleeper, you'll want to bring earplugs as the layout of the Hotel is the open-courtyard style typical of old Guatemalan homes, so you'll hear your neighbors walking around and chatting once morning comes. There is Wi-Fi, but only in the common areas, so make sure you bring a sweater since the hall outside your room can be a bit chilly depending on the time of year. Make sure you meet and chat with owner Francesca if you get the chance-- she will bend over backwards to make your stay in Guatemala City comfortable and interesting. We do travel to Guate rather frequently, and will return again and again to Hotel Posada Belen whenever we need a little me-time away from the hustle and bustle of family obligations. What a gem!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family