“What bugs?”

Posada Belen Museo Inn
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I hate to see one in the tourist business get a slap down.I not sayin the bed bug review is false,But i have to wonder if the couple stayed at 13 Calle?
I have forgotten how many times i have stayed there over the years.But for the last few yrs,it has been twice a year.Now I pretty tight with money.I would probably knock you down to reach a centavo first. If the Inn left a bad taste in my mouth, i doubt i would shell out money for a bad taste twice a year. I not saying i have never been bitten.I have been.Once by a mosquito.But he dead now.And that was couple years back.
I admit. Ritz Carlton it aint.But the staff i call the three amigos +1(Nilo #2.Juan #3 and ACHIWAWA!! Rafael # 1 + Maria)
Seriously, I not being paid to write this.I telling you as i see it.
I hope to return in April.But if you doubt my story, and you still go to the inn,look in the register over the years for comments by El Presedente Clinton.You will find not one negative comment by me

Room Tip: they all good
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 20, 2012

If you have to have the latest in showers and massage tubs and want luxury comfort in your bathroom - this is not the inn for you. However if you want a comfortable bed, a shower with hot water and a place full of
ancient Mayan artifacts, a huge map of Guatemala on the wall to
plan and check out your trips, charming authentic decor and - a staff that truly puts your comfort first - this is the place for you. There are books available to increase your knowledge of the ancient Mayan world
and the archeological studies and finds that are bringing them to life.
The owners, Rene and Francesca, are willing sources of information about places to visit and how to get there. Breakfast can be as simple as fruit, toast and coffee to a full typical Guatemalan desayuno with eggs, beans, cheese and plantanos. Dinners are delicious and well prepared, from pork chops to chicken or fish always accompanied by perfectly prepared vegetables. This is my "home away from home" in Guatemala and I always look forward to staying again with my friends.
During many visits I have come to know and treasure each one of the staff and could not manage some of the obligations of my trips without them. If you travel to really get the "feel" of a country and want to actually interact in a meaningful way with the people, please consider
booking a room at Posada Belen and becoming acquainted with the people there. The Posada is only 4 or 5 blocks from the Central market, the beautiful Government Palace on the Main Park and the
Cathedral. There is a branch of the Universidad de San Carlos within easy walking and they often have special exhibits and demonstrations of Guatemalan culture. It is an ideal location to experience the heart of the older part of Gauatemala City while also being a short taxi ride to
the "Zona Viva" and te more modern city. The best of both worlds!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank wanderinsoul
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I love LA POSADA BELEN for It's style and confort. The service like always was very good and the location near to everything in downtown. I enjoyed the attention and the hospitality from the employees ant the owners Rene and Francesca. In addition, the food was so delicious.
I look forward to my next trip to visit la Posada. The rooms are very clean and the Mayan decoratios as a special touch make of this place a real Museum.

Room Tip: I like every single one, I don't have a favorite one, so what ever They choose will be good.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank oregomo
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Posada is a small hotel with an unbelievable collection of treasure , not only the artifacts but the
staff included . The walls are covered in paintings , weavings carved gourds & metalwork .
Display cases full of Mayan ceramics , carved stone & jade beads .
As the name suggests I't like living in a Museum .
3 blocks from the walking street , staff will call taxis & arrange tour bus for you .
I'm here now for the second time & received such a warm welcome , just finished a delicious breakfast , their restaurant is also open for dinner .

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Siri O
Reviewed October 8, 2012

For the last 4 years our humanitarian clown group, with Patch Adams MD, has come to stay at the Posada Belen. We have rented out the whole hotel most years and have enjoyed the hospitality and care of owners Francesca, Rene, and the staff (who we are excited to see and talk with every year!). We have received nothing but kindness and the utmost care from both owners and staff, including dietary needs/restrictions.
We take all of our meals in the hotel, and have the pleasure of interacting with the staff we have become friends with while eating delicious and nutritious meals every day. The food safety is also important to us as a group and no one in our groups (approximately 80 people over 4 years) has ever had a problem with the food or water at Posada Belen.
The beds are comfortable, the blankets are warm, and being able to spend time together as a group in the comfort and safety of this small hotel is very important to us. We will continue to come back.
As a group leader, I recommend this hotel to other groups looking for a safe and comfortable place to gather and work or sightsee from. Francesca is extremely helpful with setting up transportation and tours, and will help with any concerns.
Posada Belen is family run, economical, and is an inviting place with wonderful staff and owners. It is a beautiful historic building with many registered Mayan artifacts to view.
Consider booking for your next visit to Guatemala City.

Charlotte H.
Gesundheit! Institute Global Outreach Coordinator

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2012

For some reason my first review was removed...not sure why. We stayed at Posada Belen thinking it would be a nice place to finish a wonderful trip to Guatemala. It actually ended up being the worst part of our trip. First off you are paying over $50 dollars for a room you could get for $18 dollars anywhere else in Guatemala. We didn't bother trying the food because it was cheaper to call in enough pizza for four people than it would be to feed one person from their menu. We couldn't get a internet signal from our room either. I would usually let most of this slide anywhere else and I don't usually write reviews unless something was really great or really bad. Here is the kicker. My wife was on the bed for probably 5 minutes and already had 3 bed bug bites. We switched beds and went to sleep. In the morning she had close to 30 bed bug bites and I had around 10. The sad thing is this was over two months ago and she still has a couple of the same bites that are itching....No we didn't bring any bugs home with us but they are the same bites that won't go away. Honestly avoid this place, You and your wallet will be better off finding a different place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheDoich
Rene_Sanchinelli, Owner at Posada Belen Museo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

We got VERY worried about this review and first we tryed to locate the guests date and registration to identify the room and we could´t find any person with that last name stayed in the hotel, then we run an investigation on ALL the rooms with the help of a professional exterminator and NOT A SINGLE BED BUG WAS FOUND, no signs of anything and did a non scheduled special sprayin just in case, We cheked every single sheet, wall, Etc. And found no traces of blood or ANYTHING. Investigated deep on wikipedia and found that the bed bug bite itching or marks do not appear inmediately and often appear up to 9 days AFTER the bite. So if the writer is real (wich I found is not) it was sure they where bitten somewhere else. About food price...A pizza will be always cheaper for 2 deppending of what kind youbuy because the one I like is NOT cheaper than food price at the hotel. I will find also very hard to find a decent hotel in Guatemala for $18 or less for a double room with a private bath. I guess someone is being writing bad reviews to make us fall in the ranking. Thanks

Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you don't have enough money for top of the line and would settle for a Holiday Inn, this is the wrong place. On the other hand, if you want friendly, funky and different it is a real win. Also, being close to downtown you can walk to a lot of places that you would miss if you stayed in Zona 10.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter. The street is quiet so there are no pollution/noise issues.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business