“Very friendly and obliging staff with convenient location”

Best Western Plus Hotel Stofella
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
Vancouver, Canada
“Very friendly and obliging staff with convenient location”
Reviewed May 15, 2006

I stayed at Hotel Stofella on two separate occasions in April, 2006. My original intention was to visit a little Guatemalan girl who I am sponsoring. However, being such a long distance away from Canada I decided to combine my visit with a Caravans Tour around Guatemala. I needed, therefore, a central hotel, in a safe district at a reasonable price. which would store my luggage while I was on the tour. The Stofella Hotel met all these expectations and more.

The hotel does not have a limo service but an authorized taxi cost about US$10.00 including tip from the airport. There is a taxi stand at the entrance to the hotel for return trips to the airport which the hotel will arrange even for dawn departures.

I agree with the description of rooms by the earlier reviewer and have nothing to add except that, if you are a light sleeper, the loud external air conditioning units can be annoying. I asked for another room away from the street and this was immediately arranged by the very accomodating reception staff and the bell-boys. Even though the corridor carpets are a little stained the rooms are spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable.

What impressed me most were the staff. Even though they were sometimes very busy they tried to deal with every client's wishes or requests. I had been given a very fragile vase by the family of my sponsored child and asked the staff if they had a box. Not only did they provide the box but one of the bell boys wrapped it for me and stored it together with my luggage until I returned from my tour. The day staff speak very good English and are extremely helpful. On two occasions I needed to make arrangements with the Administration office of the Children's Sponsorship local office. Not only did the staff make the calls for me they also made the necessary arrangements since my Spanish was not up to the task. All this and no charge!!

They also arranged for a wake up call, a six a.m. breakfast and organized the airport transfer which was a great relief. The break-fasts are as described earlier; modest but adequate. I can recommend the restaurant just across the street for lunches and dinners. It is called Applebees - the food is very good and reasonably priced, but once again, it is the very friendly staff which made it special for me. I developed a very bad cold and could not speak but I wrote down what I wanted and they even provided me with hot water, lemon juice and honey to take back to the hotel.

So, if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel with comfortable rooms at a great and safe location (most important in Guatemala City) and friendly staff the Hotel Stofella should meet all your requirements.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank Vancouvertraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Hebrew first
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed March 10, 2006

My wife and I stayed here one night in January 2006 at the beginning of a Central American tour. The hotel is a modern, comfortable Best Western in the south (new) part of town, only about 5-10 minutes from the airport. Our room was good-sized, with beautiful wood paneling in the sleeping area and attractive tile work in the bathroom. There was plenty of room for luggage in the sleeping area, and adequate counter space in the bathroom. The beds were very comfortable.
The front desk staff were friendly and spoke passable English. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but there are several excellent restaurants nearby (we particularly recommend the Kacao, about a block away). Despite not having a restaurant, the room comes with a breakfast buffet in a one of the conference rooms off the lobby. The buffet was quite good – several kinds of fruit, cereal, yoghurt, some hot dishes (e.g., eggs), and coffee.
Overall we thought the Stofella was very good value and recommend it. We would not hesitate to stay there again, particularly if we need a place that is convenient to the airport.

• Stayed January 2006