“Really a great hotel”

globeseeker007
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,143 helpful votes
“Really a great hotel”
Reviewed November 8, 2008

There is nothing to dislike about this hotel. It was a home until eight years ago when the owners decided to turn it into a hotel. It has beautiful wood floors and wood paneling in the lobby and hallways. The staff are courteous and accommodating and always willing to help the guests. Free internet service is available. It is located in Zone 10, Zona Viva, and there are plenty of restaurants and places of business nearby. Within 2 blocks one can select from a McDonalds or a Cafe de la Paix French restaurant. The Hedman Alas bus station, which is a luxary bus going to Copan, is just a few blocks down the street. With breakfast included, the price of around $70 for a double is a real bargain.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — na
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank globeseeker007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Hebrew first
Belize
Reviewed August 30, 2008

My daughter and i stayed an overnite, because we were there to see the her doctor, and she had stayed there before with my ex-husband and step-son, well we had a whole day to wait before our bus return to Belize, so we asked ifnwe can leave our luggage so that the hotel taxi takes us to the mall and then come for us at 9pm to take back to the hotel to retreive or bag and then take us to the terminal, well the taxi didn't show up, i called the hotel and told them, she said he is not there, now the taxi was recomended by the hotel and the day before he took us around which was very nice, anyways, we got another taxi from the mall and drove to the hotel to get my bag, it was already 10pm and the bus leaves at 10:30pm, i was already a little upset cause of the taxi not showing up on time, well getting to the hotel i saw that there wasn't any taxi there so i ask the one who brother us to waiting, now goin inside asking for my luggage the young lady will tell me that, she got another taxi to pick me up and that she gave him my bag,NOW!! you tell me how would you give someone else's bag who is a stranger to me and doesn't know me to pick me up at the mall? Oh i got so mad, in the airports, trains, terminals, you are always told to make sure you don't leave or take anyone's luggage. I understand she was trying to help but COME on, well i told her to make sure that my bag gets to the terminal before the bus leaves and i wasn't goin to pay the taxi, well enough of this, your hotel is very nice and even though i had this experience, i would still go back. Thank you and God bless.

• Liked — Close access to stores.and hospital.
  • Disliked — no comment.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Guatemala City hotels

los angeles
Reviewed March 24, 2008

good price super clean room very friendly staff,And very closed to the airport just make sure the taxi driver is recomended by the hotel staff.The price to the airport is 7 to 8 dollars with tip.

• Liked — friendly staff and price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank williams1
Arlington, VA
Reviewed February 26, 2008

We stayed on night at the Stofella at the beginning of our trip. The hotel was quite passable, clean and well-located. It is small and lacking in amenities, but for the price, it was a decent deal.

The major problems came when we tried to return to the hotel at the end of our trip. We decided to stay an extra day in Panajachel, and we rang the hotel from Pana several days before we were to arrive and told them we wanted to cancel the first day our our 4-day reservation. Both my partner and I were in on this conversation and took notes (to avoid any possibility of misinterpretation), Plus my partner is a Guatemala native and I also speak Spanish. The woman from Stofella who handled reservations told us 'no problem' and appeared to be making the change on the computer as we spoke. They would cancel our first day, and retain the reservation for the remaining 3-days of our stay. She gave us her name and said she looked forward to seeing us.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were informed that since we were 'no shows' for the first day of our reservation, our entire reservation had been canceled and that we would be charged for the night we 'missed.' We were dumbfounded, and we asked to speak to the woman who had assured us that we could cancel our first day, and retain the rest of our reservation. She was in the hotel, but would not come out to see us - we were told to go to the house phone to speak to her. She denied the conversation. We produced the record of the phone call to the hotel, yet she somehow 'forgot' that she had changed our reservation.

To make a long story short, they finally agreed to find us another hotel in the same price range. We waited endlessly, and I am sure they were hoping we would just leave. After some badgering, they found us a flea-bag hotel and even called and PAID a taxi driver to take us there. The taxi driver told us he takes bumped people all the time from the Stofella to other cheap or dangerously-located hotels. He said they are notorious for over-booking. We eventually wound up at the Clarion (as really great hotel!), but had to fork our several hundred dollars more than we planned.

Obviously, we will never attempt to stay at this hotel again. I recommend that if you do secure reservations, you arrive at mid-day to make sure you get a room, and also that you do not try to change your reservation and if you do, you request they fax you a confirmation. Good luck.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Reservation hell
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DonEnrique
wayne, nj
Reviewed February 7, 2008

This charming hotel is in the heart of Zona Viva in Guatemala city. Within walking distance to the most expensive hotels in Guatemala like the Camino Real where you can treat yourself to a faboulous breakfast, Guatemalan or German style. The best is the price which in high season doesn't go up to more than $60.00 a night. Impecable wooden floors constantly being cared for. No frills, just a wholesome breakfast with the typical Guatemalan dishes such as black beans, fresh fruit cereal eggs and good coffee.. The staff is nice and friendly, rooms are clean and comfortable. 10 minutes from the Aurora airport.
I stayed there for christmas two years in a row and I don't have any complaints.

• Liked — Clean, friendly and service oriented.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anasfinds
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 17, 2008

Our room must have been done over recently as it was actually quite elegant for a hotel in this price range. The location was convenient to the airport and was safe. The staff were very helpful to us....two very old ladies. The breakfast which had juice, fruit, yogurt, omelet, bread, sweet rolls and coffee or tea was far from the contnental breakfast that was promised. The only criticism I have of the hotel is that there was no purified water in the room though it could be purchased from a machine in the lobby. I don't think the hotel can be beat in this price range.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank MagillLA
Paducah, Kentucky
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Best Western Stofella during December 2007. The hotel was located in Zone 10 (or Zona Viva). According to several travel books and websites, Zone 10 was the safest and very tourist-friendly.

Overrall, the hotel was quite charming but not without its issues. The room was simple and pretty nondescript. However, every morning we were awakened by incessant hammering, as construction was underway.

The hotel staff was somewhat helpful. But on the last day, I was a little disturbed that we had to pay $33 for an additional 2 hours. We needed extra time since our flight was in the late afternoon. The hotel's regular nightly rate was $55. I thought this was a bit excessive.

I felt safe in Zone 10 and the hotel was reasonably priced, especially considering it's immediate competition.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room decor, loud construction
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple