“Another Great Stay”

Real InterContinental Guatemala
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have stayed at the Real Intercontinental before and this was my third stay with them. The location is great with many dining and shopping options within a short walk. The hotel is clean, though mid-renovations. The front desk staff is exceedingly friendly, very willing to assist with anything from dinner suggestions to the normal currency exchange etc. My 5th floor room had a somewhat awkward view of the side of the gym but given the little time I spent in it, that was not an issue. My housekeeper was fantastic in tidying up, especially given that I left a trail of clutter on most surfaces through the week. I had lunch in the sushi restaurant - spicy tuna rolls - and it was very good and very fresh. One night I ate alone in Picasso's - goat cheese salad, a margherita pizza, and a couple of Gallo. The food here was also very good. Given my non-existent Spanish, I really appreciated the patience of Oscar my waiter and his attentiveness was great which is always appreciated when dining alone. I was really impressed that Oscar offered to grate fresh parmesan cheese over my pizza, as that is my preference but I would not have requested it to avoid some awkward communication. Finally, the new gym facility was really nice and one of the best equipped I have experienced in a while.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Nelson D, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Mr. Todd, thank you so much for your great review, we really appreciate it, it´s good to know that all your expectations were exceeded even during our renovation process.

We are glad you were able to enjoy our privileged location. One of the main reasons why your experience was great is that we love our job, we work in team as a family and with passion, therefor this is reflected as you well mention in friendly front desk staff, attentive waiters, passionate chefs and careful housekeepers.

Thank you so much for staying with us and hopefully during your next visit can exercise again in our renovated gym and enjoy our new SPA.

I will feel privileged to serve and assist you personally,

Nelson.dlima@R-HR.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)

Reviewed February 28, 2014

i found this hotel very clean with comfortable beds & pillows. (there's even a pillow menu!) excellent service. good food for breakfast (not so much at the sushi restaurant). free shuttle to the airport is nice. very safe as you need to use your room key to use the elevator.

tip for guatemala city: it is true that you should not take out your cell phone on the street or even when riding in a vehicle. wait until you get to your destination. better to be safe than sorry.

also, every place delivers food - even mcdonald's!

Room Tip: i was on 7th floor with 2 queen beds. my room had separate shower from the tub. other people were...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Nelson D, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Guest:

We appreciate your valuable feedback, we value that you made us part of your business and that you enjoy our staff, services, food and stay. Even though as you well mention our country can have some security issues we have taken special attention to provide a safe ambiance in our premises and the appropriate environment that characterizes us as The Place to Be!

We look forward to receive you again,
Have a wonderful week!!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

On First Day they charged from my Credit Card 300 Euro for nothing. On the last day I paid my bill but the 300 euro wasn't considered. They told me I got my money back in 2 days. Nice way to deal with the money from other people .

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Zrucou

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your recent stay and feedback about your experience. We truly apologize for the inconveniences we have caused regarding the charge of 300 Euros. As a standard procedure we pre-authorize an amount to our guest credit card at check in and this amount is automatically liberated after check out, evidently this was not the case therefore we would like to accelerate this process by a personalized follow up. Please let me know your stay details (name and check out) since unfortunately I cannot retrieve through this comment.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

The Ambassador rooms are very nice but do not have a Welcome pack which lets you know where breakfast is, what floor the swimming pool/gym is on, what is on offer in the hotel, etc
Pool/gym/spa information is on a small plaque in the elevators.
The bed has memory foam which some people may like but on a personal note I found too soft for my back.
The buffet breakfast is nice enough and they offer freshly prepared omeletes. The coffee, whilst it does have a slightly burnt taste (which i find in all prepared coffee in restaurants) is nice and I would recommend it
The swimming pool is far too warm and the hot tub is HOT!
The room service menu didn't offer a great variety of meals however on a plus side it does offer a Design it yourself option for burgers, sandwiches, pizza and pasta which means if you have long stay, you shouldn't get bored with the menu.
You get a coffee machine in your room with a pack which has coffee / tea / sugar / sweetners, etc for free
1 free bottle of water every day.
If you want to sleep in, put your Do Not Disturb sign on the door before you go to bed. I got a 8.50am wake up call by housekeeping!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Nelson D, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Mr. Where_am, Thank you so much for your valuable feedback, your information is very important to us, it will let us know what services we should improve in, we will improve the information given at the front desk when check in, it also will be in the room, so the guest will know all the information about all of our ambiences. Mr. Where_am, definitely swimming pool and Jacuzzi will be under constant check to guarantee a nice and comfortable temperature. We are preparing an even richer menu for our outlets, room service, restaurants and bars. Mr. Where_am, next time you visit us we guarantee you the best rest, we will not disturb you for nothing.
Mr. Where_am, thank you so much again for your feedback.
It would be an honor to service and assist you personally; I will be available 24 hours.

Have great week!.

Gerente General/General Manager

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Old but nice hotel. However, the concierge team suffered to provide a quality and organized service, I had to change my plans few times which caused me spending USD200 more than initially agreed. I am not able to provide much details about the amenities since I spent more time touring around.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mr. Fernando N, thank you very much for your important comments, they definitely will be valuable to improve our Concierge assistance services in all kind of information provided to our guests, it includes a perfect coordination with tour operators to give and receive the exact information and assistance that you need in order to provide you information with accuracy and Excellency.
Mr. Fernando N, We are really sorry for all the confusing information given to you, I guarantee you that it will not happen again.
In a future stay would be my pleasure to assist you and serve you personally,

Always at your disposition,

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I found the front desk staff to be very helpful and very friendly. The dinner and music at Picasso's was absolutely amazing. I only had one evening to stay, as I was catching an early morning flight. Now, I wish I had stayed for many more days.

• Stayed: February 2014
Nelson D, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Mr. Nkauzins, thank you so much for your positive feedback posted in TripAdvisor!. It is great for Us to know that your experience at Picasso Restaurant was an amazing experience, all our staff in Picasso´s will feel very happy when read your comments ( including our Singer and the musician )

In a couple of days we will be opening the New and trendy Maya Lounge ( in the lobby of the Hotel ) with a full entertainment agenda that I´m sure you will really enjoy in your next stay.

Mr. Nkauzins, will be a great honor attend you personally anytime,

Once again thank you so much for your comments and hope you have a GREAT WEEK!

All the best,

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Very nice hotel and in a perfect downtown location. Close to lots of restaurants and night life. Though there was some lobby construction going on, the hotel was spotless and the pool and spa area quite nice. The best feature was the hospitality by all staff members. Always a friendly smile and a can we assist you with anything attitude.

Room Tip: The 14th and 15th floors are the best and include the executive lounge and services. Well worth the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Nelson D, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Mr. Chris L, we appreciate so much your comments recently posted about the privileged location of our hotel but for the best of it, the smiley, hospitality and always attentive staff.
Mr. Chris L, with the privilege of your new visit, we hope to receive with new modern refurbished locations and serve you with an event better attitude of our staff.

It will be my honor to assist you personally in your next visit.

Have an excellent week,