“Great location, excellent service, great value.”

Real InterContinental Guatemala
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Clean place, excellent attitude from staff, well maintained and great location. Went there for business and this is my 3rd time, it's really worth it. Breakfast and restaurants are good too. Also Had a business conference and the meeting rooms are great. Only suggestion would be to add more rooms to the business center.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Pierre B, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

Your compliment are really a positive stroke for us and push us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests.
I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board

Looking forward of welcoming again in Guatemala City

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was surprised to run into problems at the Intercontinental. I stayed twice during a two-week trip in Guatemala. Each time I was assigned to a room which did not have all amenities in place as promised. Round one, no mini-bar. It took about two hours to get one. Round two, no safe. That came within 10 minutes. Reception was a mixed bag. Round one, the check-in clerk was surly and had me wait 45 minutes for my peanut-sized room. Round two, the clerk was welcoming.

I did enjoy the restaurant and found staff to be lovely and helpful.

Room Tip: I wish I knew!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank cvalent9
Pierre B, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Madam, Sir,

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor!

Our main goal is the satisfaction of our guests and I really take in serious your comments in order to correct this area of oportunity for us. I will personaly investigate this matter and make sure that it will not happen again. All rooms are supposed to have a minibar and a safe, it surely was with maintenance dpt, but we cannot rent a room which is not completly equiped.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this unfortunate experience and should you give me the oportunity of welcoming you again in Guatemala, please do not hesitate to contact me at it will be a pleasure to asist you personaly and make sure that you'll have a good experience with us.

pierre.berthier@r-hr.com

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Let me first start off by saying the bed here is awesome. If you're looking for something softer than a Mayan stone structure, than this is the place for you. The hotel itself is certainly adequate -- clearly tailoring to business people with large expense accounts. They nickel and dime you on everything. The most off-putting part of the hotel though is the staff. I spent a week traveling through Guatemala and was never confronted with anything less than lovely, genuine smiles. However, the only thing you'll be greeted with at this hotel is attitude. The staff seem very annoyed and put out having to deal with anyone. The exact opposite of my experience with the staff at a hotel down the street, The Westin Camino Real. Not only was it a much better price but the people were so kind and helpful. A much better choice -- but be warned.. the bed isn't as soft as the Intercontinental. Have fun!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather K
Pierre B, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Heather,

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor!

Our main goal is the satisfaction of our guests and I really take in serious your comments in order to correct this area of oportunity for us. I would really appreciate if you take some time and write me a bit more about your experience and where I would need to improve it.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this nasty experience and should you give the oportunity of welcoming you again in Guatemala, please do not hesitate to contact me at it will be a pleasure to asist you personaly and make sure that you'll have a good experience with us.

pierre.berthier@r-hr.com

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had never been disappointed by an InterContinental in my life. I have been staying many times with this chain, always happy to share my experience with them. Unfortunately this was not the case. Upon my arrival at the hotel, at about Midnight, I was given a room that was not corresponding to my reservation. The bad thing is that the receptionist did not advise me. He just handled me the key and let me go upstairs. Two small beds instad of a king size, while my confirmation was clearly stating "King size bed". I complained with reception and the easy answer was that there were not other rooms available and that the preference at the time of booking was only an indication and not an obligation for the hotel. I asked to speak with the supervisor (I am Gold status with the chain fidelity programme) and after complaining with him, another room suddenly appeared. But I was told that there were no other available rooms. This was not correct. Such behaviour is not expected from such a high class hotel.
My stay was ruined by this beginning. The hotel is beautiful, clean, well mantained, but I do not accept to be treated as an ignorant when I perfectly know how it works, as I have been tavelling for business for almost 20 years.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Pierre B, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Sir

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor!

As you can see on previous comments, we usually receive compliments about our service, reason why I will personnaly investigate what happened to you with our night recepcionnist and take disciplinary actions as you are totally right when you request a good level of service from us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this nasty experience and should you give the oportunity of welcoming you again in Guatemala, please do not hesitate to contact me at it will be a pleasure to asist you personaly and make sure that this experience will never happen again.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I recently stayed here with my husband for a couple of nights before and after our trip to Tikal in Guatemala, and really enjoyed it. It's everything you would expect from an Intercontinental Hotel: comfortable rooms, great service and great food.
We booked an in-room massage the day we came back from Tikal and not only was it inexpensive, but it was extremely relaxing.
One last tip: if you order room service, order the baguette sandwich with the pickles and serrano ham ;) it's out of this world!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear madam,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

We started this massage service at the beginning of the year and even if we do not have a complete SPA in the hotel, we noticed that our guests enjoy a private massage in their room.
I am happy that you liked our french baguette!

I will put your review on our staff board information as it is really a strong motivation for all of us to keep our efford giving to our guest an great experience during their stay with us

Looking forward to welcome you again in Guatemala

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed one night here on my way to Honduras. Staff were very helpful in assisting with finding an ATM and an obscure bus station. We had to leave very early (4am) and they bought out tea and coffee for us as we'll as some cookies an fruit.

The room was clean and the hotel itself is beautiful.

• Stayed: November 2011
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board

Looking forward of welcoming again in Guatemala City

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The rooms were extremely well maintained, clean, and service was first class. I was in the executive suites so maybe that made a difference. The food was above average and I would definitely go back. Free wifi in executive suites was a big plus for business needs. I gave a speech there and the conference rooms were barely adequate for the large crowd (long and narrow) and we lost lighting a couple of times during the presentation. nonetheless, it is a nice area and you get a sense of safety

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Looking forward to welcome you again in Guatemala