“Great location, good service”

Real InterContinental Guatemala
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
San José, Costa Rica
“Great location, good service”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I recently stayed here with my husband for a couple of nights before and after our trip to Tikal in Guatemala, and really enjoyed it. It's everything you would expect from an Intercontinental Hotel: comfortable rooms, great service and great food.
We booked an in-room massage the day we came back from Tikal and not only was it inexpensive, but it was extremely relaxing.
One last tip: if you order room service, order the baguette sandwich with the pickles and serrano ham ;) it's out of this world!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear madam,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

We started this massage service at the beginning of the year and even if we do not have a complete SPA in the hotel, we noticed that our guests enjoy a private massage in their room.
I am happy that you liked our french baguette!

I will put your review on our staff board information as it is really a strong motivation for all of us to keep our efford giving to our guest an great experience during their stay with us

Pierre Berthier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Alberta
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed one night here on my way to Honduras. Staff were very helpful in assisting with finding an ATM and an obscure bus station. We had to leave very early (4am) and they bought out tea and coffee for us as we'll as some cookies an fruit.

The room was clean and the hotel itself is beautiful.

• Stayed November 2011
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board

Looking forward of welcoming again in Guatemala City

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The rooms were extremely well maintained, clean, and service was first class. I was in the executive suites so maybe that made a difference. The food was above average and I would definitely go back. Free wifi in executive suites was a big plus for business needs. I gave a speech there and the conference rooms were barely adequate for the large crowd (long and narrow) and we lost lighting a couple of times during the presentation. nonetheless, it is a nice area and you get a sense of safety

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, October 1, 2012

Guayaquil
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that in Zona 10 in Guatemala there are only "average" hotels. The rooms are a little out-dated. Very dark the way things were decorated in the 1990s. The food is OK, but fortunately there are several restaurants nearby so that you don't have to depend on hotel food for all three meals.

The Internet connection wasn't good, and sometimes I wasn't able to work at all. I was disappointed that I was charged extra for it.

On the bright side, the bath towels are extremely thick and luxurious. There is a shower and a bathtub.

The staff is extremely nice. (I had no idea how they all new my name.) However, Guatemalans are very polite by nature, so I'm not sure I can really give the hotel any credit for this.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good, but try to avoid being near the elevator due to the noise. Personally, I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

Your compliment are really a positive stroke for us and push us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests. It is part of our standard to call the guest by his name and I ma happy that my staff fully comply and pleased you.

Thank you for the internet critic, we already send a request to our Canadian supplier Guest Teck to check our connections in order to fix this problem.

I hope that you did try our Buffet Breakfat at the Cafe de la Paix or our japone restaurant the Tonashii, considered by the local japanse community as the best sushi restaurant of Guatemala!

For the decoration the hotel has been built en 2001 and renovated in 2007. But due to the dark color of the furnitures, I agree with you that the rooms look a bit dark. reason why we started since 2 month to change all the lamps in the rooms with 100W bubs. Hoping that on your next stay, you'll see the improvment.

Atlanta
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was my 1st visit to this city, let alone this country. Was greeted immediately at the doors of the hotel with a very gracious bellman. The rooms were spacious and clean, and the staff was very friendly. Was able to walk around the area and felt very comfortable doing so. The breakfast buffet had a lot of choices and the fruit was freshly sliced for you while you wait. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to this city.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, September 7, 2012

Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I arrived to the Hotel the night before and stayed at the executive room. Next morning when I ordered breakfast at the executive lounge servers were RUDE and waiting time was so long for a simple omelette (30 min) that I had to go without breakfast. Very bad experience would not recommend the hotel from now on..!!

Bad experience, rude personal in the Executive Club Lounge

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Ernesto C,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments regarding our personnel in the Executive club lounge are very troubling. Rest assured this will be addressed with the proper department in order to avoid a similar occurrence in the future. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused you.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tubingen, Germany
Reviewed July 25, 2012

It was my first time in this Hotel and I felt very well. Rooms are clean and beds are excellent. Great braekfast, very friendly staff, excellent gym with new machines.

The Hotel feels rather safe in an unsafe city.

Internet use was charged extra and extremly high. In these days that is a "no go" in my eyes.

Prices are rahter high compared to the "street prices", however remember it is a 5 star Hotel.

I will choose this hotel again next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time of writing this review of our hotel.

We know that most of the hotel are giving away the internet, but we did invest over USD 50'000 in order to have a perfect wireless internet with a 20MB speed in the hotel, reason why we are charging it. We have by the way the highest speed within the city .