“Hotel with class and great service”

Real InterContinental Guatemala
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights on a business trip. Service was impeccable - arranging pickup at the airport, dining at Tanoshii and Cafe de la Paix (food was superb), and arranging for a tour of Pacaya on my day off. My room was very spacious (especially with the extra additional living room) and clean, but unfortunately didn't have a view. Overall, the quality of the Intercontinental is among the best. What impressed me most was the personalized service, I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,
Your comments regarding our japonese Tanoshii, international restaurant Cafe de la Paix are very kind and I will pass your comments to our Chef and waiters.
Looking forward of welcoming again in Guatemala City
Kind regards
Pierre Berthier General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,173)

Reviewed January 23, 2012

The InterCon is another hotel that attempts to wow guests with an over the top lobby when it should dedicate more attention to room amenities and services that Marriott Residence chains provide at half the price.

Summary: A+ service at lobby/room service; B rooms; C+ bath amenities; A+ hot water/pressure; B
Internet (very fast but $15 per day); C gym; A location; C- concierge floor (almost never manned); B- extra services (one shop, Japanese restaurant; awful service at Cafe de la Paix).

Up front: The service, with the exception of the Cafe de la Paix restaurant, was excellent. These people are so friendly and helpful that I feel guilty criticizing the hotel on other fronts.
I booked at the Real InterContinental because it was inauguration weekend, and beds were scarce. If you have never been to Guatemala City before, note that the only zone safe enough to stay in, and this is hugely qualified, is zone 10. At $200 plus a night, I got the "executive floor" -- my travel agent convinced the hotel to include breakfast. There is nothing special about the 14th floor: in fact, it's a pain in the neck because you check in at the 15th floor instead of the lobby and then go down a flight, again.

The room is small and faced multiple parking lots. I've been in and out of GC a lot in the last 30 years, so I didn't care about the view, but it was depressing nonetheless. Bed was okay; slippers were the greatest; room amenities also included laptop size safe (an essential); real hangers, sufficient lighting and 28" plasma t.v. Internet WiFi was $15 a day or $40 per week. It was very fast and you didn't have to re-register after the initial sign-in. (Camino Real, take note; the CR charges $10 day.)

Bathroom was two small rooms. Water pressure excellent; bathtub included rails, bath mat, etc. Bath products were risible: generic stuff except for what looked like a pirated Moulson conditioner thrown in among the riffraff of shampoo, bath gel, etc.

Concierge desk for 14th and 15th exec. floors was useless: it was never open when I needed it. When I wished to print out boarding passes, no one was manning the small biz center at 8am. I went down to 2nd floor Business Center and no print out either. I finally ended up emailing boarding pass through the helpful Concierge at front lobby.

The gym is functional, like what you'd find in a Marriott Courtyard. Gym rats, check out the Camino Real, which is full service.

Pool was fifth floor and ugly. CR better on this score.

Finally, the Café de la Paix has a wonderful buffet. Go here, not the CR, for a $20+ Sunday buffet: the food is way better and the hours of service are longer (the CR sweeps everything off the breakfast buffet before 11 (on Sunday!). That said, when I ordered a sandwich on a Sat. afternoon, when the CdlP was virtually empty, i ended up waiting 30 minutes -- and they lost the order.

Net net: The InterCon is more expensive than the CR, but it felt gloomier despite the excellent service. It's darker all around and it feels like a place that pays lip service to 5* amenities without having the resources to follow through

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the volcanoes/zone 13.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kenneth A
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Dear Espanasiempre,
Thank you for your comments regarding the Real Intercontinental Guatemala. It is a very detailed review which is helping us a lot for . Good comments as well as showing us our areas of opportunities do help me to improve our service
Regarding the amenities, the Molton are real and not pirates, but thank you for showing me that they gave you a bit of both of our amenities set...This should not happen normally :=).
For the TVs, they all 37 inches from the floor 4th to 14th and 42 inches for the 15th and 16th floor.
Actually as per the pictures taken from you your room , had the view of the swimming pool :=) which is right between the hotel tower and the Citibank tower.
I agree that our Gym is not big as the CR one, but I believe that we do have all the necessary machines for a traveler to make his routine during an hour, we did not focus to the local public as CR did. Maybe your noticed also our massage service in the room?
Thank you for showing our area of opportunity in our main restaurant. I already took some preventive actions and I am sure that you will notice some improvements during your next journey.
Kind regards and thank you again for taking the time to send your feedback of our property

Pierre Berthier
Gerente General

Reviewed January 22, 2012

This is a typical business hotel in Latin America but was so far beyond my expectations with regard to service. Amilcar and, especially, Walfre went above and beyond and made my quick trip leaving me with a most favorable impression. Rooms are very nice (mine wasn't ready when I arrived but after a 20 min wait they upgraded me). The bar is a solid business-hotel bar. The breakfast was better than most. The location is excellent. Kudos.

• Stayed: January 2012
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2012

Dear Sir
I will personnaly felicitate Walfred and Amilcar on your behalf.
Regarding the bar, we are planning this year a refresh in order to make it more attractive. I am sure that you will enjoy it again at your next stay with us.
Looking forward of welcoming again in Guatemala City Kind regards

Reviewed January 7, 2012

The hotel does not have hot water, when making the reservation on the internet it says free continental breakfast and free internet, not true nothing was free not even the hot water. Because of my complaints the manager told me the rate for the last 2 days would be $99.00, not true, the rate was $139.00 per night. The cleaning service is terrible, the maids do not give you towels, for you to call them and give them a tip, they did not even changed my glasses, what a terrible experience.............

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 790denisme
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2012

Dear Sir

I carefully read you note regarding our hotel and would be very gratefull if you could be kind enough to explain me a bit more more regarding your complains.
For room prices including breakfast, if you would have a look at our main page from Intercontinental, you will notice that we do not have any rates of USD 99 or USD 139 mentionned in your note with breakfast included. The first price is USD 169.00
Looking forward to read you. Kind regards
Pierre Berthier, General Manager

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Stayed here two nights: one night on the way to Tikal, and one night on the way back. Danced with my wife at the bar lounge that had a great live band. On the same block as some good bars and restaurants. Wedding parties both nights. I like quiet hotels, but once in a while a like a fun time late into the night, and this worked great. The hotel service for airport transfer was great, which is key.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank GeorgeK832655
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

Dear Miss, or Mrs
Thank you for taking the time of writing this nice review of our hotel. It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to keep our high service standard. Looking forward of welcoming again in Guatemala City Kind regards
Pierre Berthier General Manage

Reviewed November 19, 2011

The hotel does not have that cheap commercial feel that chain hotels often have. The breakfast they serve is a true experience, with a lady slicing gently for you all types of exotic fruits, one squeezing fresh fruits for natural juices. Excellent cuban cigar selection. Rooms are nice, quiet and large. The laundry service is first class.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Dear Sir,

Reviewed November 17, 2011

The hotel is very nice and service is outstanding. If you have any type of respitatory problems you should not stay there, though. The smell of the air pollution is very strong throughout the hotel. The rooms are not bad, but the lobby, gym, and restaurants all have a very strong smell. Part of the problem is they leave the doors to the front lobby open and many vehicles idle outside. The city has a high rate of pollution so the hotel employees are probably use to the pollution and do not notice the strong smell.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Shadow1999

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review about our hotel.
It is alwasy good to receive some feedback from our customers in order to improve our services.
Unfortunatly we are aware of the city pollution but it is quiet difficult for us to control it. I will ask my staff to try keeping more often closed our entrance doors.
Looking forward of welcoming again in Guatemala City Kind regards