“Excellent hotel in Zona 10; Pleasant respite from city grit”

Real InterContinental Guatemala
Ranked #1 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent hotel in Zona 10; Pleasant respite from city grit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

The InterContinental provided a good start to our Guatemalan adventure.

While I am not a big fan of large international chains to stay in when I travel for vacation, this hotel was just what we wanted and met our expectations very well.

The location was good to explore Guate's Zona 10 neighborhood (which is said to be one of the most upscale and safest neighborhoods in the city - but that is all relative :-)). It was close to walk to stores, restaurants and cafes. Overall the hotel served as a good respite from Guate's grit and grime.

Service was good - they were very helpful in making restaurant reservations (and accommodated our ever-changing time requests :-)), calling cabs, setting up a taxi pick up from the Flores airport to Tikal etc.

Hotel amenities were also good - a nice pool, hot tub and very well equipped gym with new weights and machines.

The room was clean and nice with a very comfortable king bed and a good choice of pillows. The shower had nice hot water and was good. The view from the 10th floor was of zona 10 and the mountains surrounding the city.

In summary, I highly recommend the InterContinental for a stay in Guatemala City (although I don't recommend lingering in the city for longer than 2 days unless you have to - there are much nicer places to see in Guatemala).

Room Tip: Higher the floors, better the view.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time of writing this nice review of our hotel. It always for us very pleasant to receive such comments which help us to keep our high service standard.
Looking forward of welcoming again in Guatemala City
Pierre Berthier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

I stayed here for a total of 7 nights (1 night at the beginning of the week and 6 nights a few days later) on a recent business trip and while the room was spacious, comfortable, updated and modern, the hotel staff was nothing like I was told about.

I was told by other colleagues, who had stayed previously, that this was the best hotel staff around. I dont know where those same staff members were but they didn't work when I was there. Upon checking in, I could barely understand the poor lady. When I would ask a question she would just stare at me as if she didn't understand English. It was deeply troubling from there.

On my second stay, I was booked on the 4th floor, a corner room. I think I was below a huge storage room because every night around 10-11pm you could hear loud noises including someone stacking/slamming plates, sounds of moving tables, etc. It was a disaster! After 3 nights of this I called the front desk. Luckily this staff member understood me enough to send someone up. Unfortunately, the gentleman they sent up (a maintenance worker) spoke 0 English and I'm not exaggerating. We sat there for 10 minutes trying to communicate via hand signals, it was ridiculous. For the remaining nights, nothing changed in regards to the loud banging and I didnt report it because it's no use if you can't communicate with the staff.

I thought the hotel was nice, but you can get nice elsewhere in that area (zona10). From my hotel window I could see the Radisson, the Westin, and the Holiday Inn towers. On my next visit I will be heading to one of those.

Summary:
Nice place, nice restaurant, zone10 isn't as safe as everyone says (there was a murder at the McDonalds about 100 yards from this hotel when I was there, which I could see from my room), beautiful pool area and great gym. Internet speed was fast. BUT the biggest draw back for me was the staff, it's disappointing after all my colleagues told me.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CRBritt1
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time of writing your comment regarding your last stay in our hotel.
Our guest satisfaction is our goal, and could notice some areas of opportunity with your review which is very important for us. Your comments will help us to improve ourselves.
We do have an english teacher coming three times per week, and we will make sure that all our staff dealing with guests pass a test of average english knowledge.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

I don't know why this hotel is not the #1 or at least in the top 5 of the tripadvisor list.

When I was looking for a hotel to stay in Guatemala City I used, tripadvisor and 2 traveling books-guides reviews in my search...Frommer's has this hotel as its favorite, so I booked it.

I stayed for 4 nights, from Jan. 12 to Jan. 16, 2011.......The InterContinental web-site has great offers, I got the one of advance purchase none refundable.
My 1 king bed deluxe room was on the 15th floor, so I had access to the executive/club lounge w/ complementary breakfast every morning, coffee/tea all day and happy hour w/ wine, some drinks and hors d'oeuvres every night........in this same place there is always some one available ready to help you w/ any work you need (free internet too), also you can do your check-out.
My room was very confortable and for a hotel that is 10 yrs it doesn't look that old...very clean, modern, perfect.
This hotel is great for business travelers.....rooms w/ big desks, internet conection, nice siting area, panoramic view, very quite, big LCD tv....and the best exellents beds (watch-out Westin hotels).
I didn't take any photos of the rooms because they look the same as you can see them in the web-site page of the hotel.... last but not least meeting rooms big space.

For leisure travelers this hotel can't be better, located it in zona 10 the best area in the city......thanks to Cindy one of the two very profecionals concierge, whom gave me the info about the area, I went around and had a great time......4 nights is too long for a city that has its limitations, then is when you need a good concierge like Cindy. The hotel is walking distance from some shoping areas ....Fontabella its the near one ...very nice colonial style open mall; mostly restaurants and bars very vey nice ask Cindy if she has some discount or special vouchers for some of the restaurants.....The Oakland Mall its also walking distance but a little far..........this place is modern big time XXI century very nice!!! a must see. The last one Proceres, is the regular small shoping mall in the inexpensive level.
I have to say that the staff from...... front desk, security, restaurant (wait staff) bar, house keeping (they found my movil phone in side the safe that I forgot when I change rooms, the next day they called me and let me know they found it ) and the cocierge, Cindy and co-worker they were great........and thanks to them I enjoyed more my long stay in Guatemala City.
One advice for the managers and supervisors ......you are also part of customers service and in good hospitality industry the acknowledge of the guests is very important .....so a hello...good-morning...or....good-evening....it is a must

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Petrusguate, Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Looking forward of welcoming again in Guatemala City
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Guatemala City is growing and optimal place for business travelers. There are so many great places to see in Guatemala, but speaking specifically about the Intercontinental, it is an amazing hotel with:
-incredible service
-clean rooms
-awesome food choices
-inviting atmosphere
-easy money exchange process (ATM or front desk)
-great water pressure
-comfortable beds
-worth every penny!!!
-wifi is reasonable priced and is very fast
-right next to a mall (to pick up a Guatemala SIM card)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Petrusguate, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the time of writing this pleasant comment regarding our hotel. Our satisfaction help us to stay motivated and keep our hight standard of service.
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

I frequent this hotel at least monthly. It is a hit or miss experience but well, there isn't much choice in Guatemala.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for using our hotel frequently. Please let us know what would you like or desire in order to make your stay more pleasant in our city.
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

For the price we booked our room for, we weren't expecting the quality of service or comfort we received. The rooms were grandiose, the bathrooms spacious and clean, and the staff were very helpful in assisting us. If most hotel concierge leveled the excellence of their staff, I'm certain there would not be another unhappy customer in the world. The beds enveloped my body and it was such an ambient atmosphere to relax in. There is no doubt in my mind that I would book with them if I ever return to Guatmela!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Odalís G, General Manager at Real InterContinental Guatemala, responded to this review, July 2, 2016
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback.

We hope you will visit us again.

Odalís Guzmán / General Manager
Tegucigapla
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

This hotel is what you would expect of a large chain, but the personalize dservice went above and beyond. The staff helped us find places we wanted to go , pick restauarnts, and get around the city. When our car battery died, the staff tried to jump our battery, then took us to a store to buy a new one and installed it. WIthout their help, during Semana Santa, we would have been stuck. THe rooms had wonderful linens and amenities and the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had in a hotel!! Kudos to this fantastic hotel!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank inhonduras
Dear Guest:

We hope you will visit us again.

Odalís Guzmán / General Manager