“Calm in the eye of the storm”

Holiday Inn Guatemala
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
Porcupine Plain
“Calm in the eye of the storm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Guatemala is still a country of uncertainty....the Holiday Inn Guatemala City is in the city's safest zone (10)....It is a older property but very well maintained....rooms are large and very clean with personal safes....staff is helpful and if language is a problem, many of them are multilingual... the Hotel also has a shuttle to the airport (you will be mobbed by a crowd at the airport entrance, just ask a security guard for Holiday Inn and they will get you to the shuttle)....the Hotel will also exchange U.S. $ into Q's (at a reasonalble rate, as opposed to the airport exchangers), but only in smaller amounts ($100)....the Hotel is also the depot for buses to Mexico etc. and to Antigua Guatemala.....there is a full service resturant in the Hotel (only available to guests).....the Hotel also will provide you with authorized (safe) taxis....note: please book thru the front desk....as in other C.A. countries everyone has a cousin, brother, uncle, they try to get business for, so just be safe and book thru the front desk....the Hotel is also surrounded by excellent resturants, next door and across the streets....unless you've been acclimatized to the local food bugs DO NOT EAT STREET VENDOR FOOD (even tho it's delicious)....also, only drink bottled water, even in the Hotel.

Room Tip: the top floors have suites, but regular rooms are so large it's really not necessary
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dawn H
oordonez, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Dawn H:

We are thankful because you took the time to comment in detail our hotel.

We are happy to hear that your stay was a pleasant one and that you found the staff to be very helpful. We indeed have bilingual, if not trilingual staff that is always ready to help our guests with everything they need; be it a taxi, money exchange, directions or just answering questions or concerns.

Knowing that your stay was great makes us feel proud of all of our wonderful staff. We really hope to see you soon on your next visit to Guatemala City!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We use this hotel every time we visit Guatemala city, we have been returning since last year.
Consistent good service in every aspect. The location is the best you could find, the staff if very well trained and focused, rooms are big and with spectacular views of the city, the restaurant is also top kind. Rates are reasonable.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank xelaju007
Dear Xelaju007:

Thank you for your kind words. They make us feel satisfied because we know that we are doing a great job with our guests. They also make us feel motivated to continue improving the service that we provide.

We are honored to serve you every time you visit us when you come to the city and are looking forward to seeing you soon!
Atascadero, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here for a company trip that was originally scheduled to have me in the Westin, and when I heard "Holiday Inn," I thought, "what a downgrade!" I'm happy to say I was wrong. The rooms were spacious and well lit, and structured so many of them get great lighting and a nice view down the street even if you're not in the suite on the end. The staff was pleasant and prompt.

Due to my work schedule I did not end up utilizing the breakfast feature, and my only complaints were that some of the walls are thin, and the faucet handles are difficult to twist when damp. Out of all the myriad problems I've run into in other hotels, from billing problems to saturated carpet to drunk neighbors convinced my room was theirs, faucet issues rank pretty low on the list of Big Problems.

Even though I wasn't the one paying for this place, I feel their rates are a good deal and this would be a good choice for an upscale hotel with a slightly less old-world feel than its pricier neighbors.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Camille M
Dear Camile M:

We are glad to hear from you, and we thank you for reviewing our hotel.

We are pleased and honored to know that we excelled your expectations on your first visit to Holiday Inn Guatemala. We assure you that everyday we are commited to improving all aspects of the hotel, whether it is its appearance or the service that we provide to our guests. Seeing your comments makes us feel happy and motivated to continue with such committment.

Regarding the small problems that you had with the fauctes, we will definately inform the respective department about it.

Thank you once again for choosing us and we hope to have you stay with us on your future visits to Guatemala City!
Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is in a good location, opposite Hard Rock Cafe. The ride to the airport is hardly five minutes. The rates are reasonable and is value for money. The breakfast has a good spread. There are good restaurants around this hotel. Complementary pick-up-and drop faculity to the airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TiwariRohit
oordonez, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear TiwariRohit:

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.

We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay with us. Indeed the hotel is in a centric area where you can find a wide variety of shops and restaurants and it is also close to the airport making it convenient to access different parts of Guatemala City.

We are really looking forward to serve you on your next visit to Guatemala.
Inwood, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I will start with the bad stuff first, it will be short. The rooms are outdated, and the elevator is really slow. The AC unit was really loud. OK lets get to the good stuff. The best thing is the staff, they really know how to treat someone. Fernanda (not sure on spelling, my fault) went the extra mile, she really went like 20 miles out of her way. She took it on her self to reply to a message that I was given and she made sure that I received it as well. She called my room and asked me had I received a message, my reply was no, she asked if there were a message under my door, nope.. she gave me the message and then called the person back with my reply to ensure that my plans were taken care of. THANK YOU.. The breakfast and room service are wonderful, I travel for business and have stayed all over the world, this Holiday Inn is a bit run down but the people keep in running and do it well. The bed was very comfy, the room clean, I had no complaints really except that the AC was really loud. As long as it worked, I was happy.. :-) Thanks again Fernanda, I hope you become manager, you will do great. oh by the way, do not let them charge your card when you check in, if you see another review soon on here from me, then you can bet that I was over charged...

Room Tip: no bad rooms
1 Thank firemanstep
oordonez, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Firemanstep:

We appreciate your comments about your stay at our hotel. This encourages us to keep doing our best we can to make you feel comfortable and to have a pleasant stay.

About your inconveniences we will try to fix them as soon as possible, so your next stay will be different.

We are glad that you had an amazing experience with us, and that Fernanda makes you feel great with us. I will make sure that Fernanda knows about your comment and great work she did. And we will let our HR Department to know about her job too.

Hope to see you soon.

Regards,
Bogotá
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hotel is aprox. 10-15 minutes away from the airport; a complimentary shuttle to/from the International airport (GUA) is provided.

Check-in: quick and efficient; staff helpful

Elevators: extremely slow! It took up to 10 minutes to go down from the 7th floor!

Rooms: my room was facing to the back (not towards the hardrock-cafe).
The room was clean with carpeted floor (except bathroom).

A small minibar; a working desk and a table with 2 chairs.

No window to open; ventilation only by using the aircondition.

Internet: very bad.
In the evening, it connected and de-connected every moment - other users on my floor had the same problem.

Gym: small - smelling (plastic) floor - some/better ventilation should be provided.
Equipment: some treadmills, exercise bikes, free weights - basic - but all equipment was working.

Outdoor pool:
No lockers to store your clothes when changing for the pool or for the gym;
I did not see anyone who took a shower before entering the pool :-( so I don´t want to know the water quality.

Breakfast: aprox. 10-12 USD; nice variety of food.
The area for breakfast is a too small (waiting time; waiters removed your plates while you´re going to the buffet again).

Location: lots of restaurants, bars are in the area.

Summary: OK - but nothing special; you probably get similar services for less money.

1 Thank tom_brd
Dear tom_brd:

Thank you for taking the time to comment about our hotel, your comments are very important for us, to keep improving every day!

We will take note of all of them, take actions and try to make you next stay better.

We will be waiting to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Glenwood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel was a clean and comfortable place to stay. The staff were eager to serve and help. The beds were comfortable, everything was in good working condition, the rooms appeared clean, an airport shuttle was provided and the staff were friendly and courteous. The breakfast was excellent. We had two days of business meetings and the meeting rooms were comfortable and the staff saw that the meetings ran smoothly. If I return to Guatemala City this will be my choice of hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
oordonez, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Plyeler:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are glad that you had a great experience upon your stay, not only in the hotel but also in Guatemala. Our greatest satisfaction is to receive comments like yours because they let us know we are doing a good job with our guests and motivate us to continue excelling in our service.

We are looking forward to see you on your next visit.