“Good price, bilingual staff”

Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Guatemala City
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had two great experiences here. I stayed here for two days, left for a few days and came back for one night before my flight. The free shuttle was a great perk! I enjoyed the bilingual staff who was willing to exchange money for me too. We used their conference rooms a few times, the breakfast was good in the morning. We enjoyed the pool area outside. I never had a problem with the noise even though my room was on the 14th flood right across from the hard rock hotel. It was close to a lot of shopping places and some good restaurants. Its only 8 bucks to get to Zona 1 which is a must see. I would come back next time too.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
oordonez, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear guest, we thank you for your review and we're glad that your experience with us was an enjoyable one. Once again thank you and we're looking forward to serve you again very soon.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I've been in this hotel for 5 times in the last 6 months, and the service has been really bad. Some of the employees have a very bad attitude and are not very nice communicating to you. I experience two mayor disappoints first time I get a smoker room that smell really bad, I asked to be moved, because I request a non-smoking room from the beginning and they didn’t even care, I didn’t receive a new room neither an apology. Last time they didn’t let me have breakfast in the restaurant because of my “Tattoos”, they treat me like if I was a Gang Man. Finally they make you feel very away from home, or at least away from a good Hotel…

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ameza

Dear guest, we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your visits. Employees having a bad attitude is unacceptable, we will look into this. We're also going to look into what happened with your reservation so this won't happen again. About the restaurant issue, our restaurant has a dress code policy and we're sorry if you were offended in any way.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is located at "Zona Viva" at Guatemala City which means it is walking distance to many restaurants and bars.

PROS:Nice and friendly staff, reasonable priced, clean rooms, there are many restaurants in the surroundings ( including a McDonalds!). Free parking, free airport shuttle.

CONS: It can get pretty noisy at night since the is a Hard Rock Cafe right across the street. Food choices at the hotel´s breakfast buffet are limited. Hosekeeping service can be a hit or miss. There in no room service after 11 pm.

2  Thank latrevi05
oordonez, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for your recent review of our property. We're glad that for the most part, your stay was enjoyable. We will take your comments into consideration. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Someone dropped the ball on my reservations and I had to leave because they were fully booked. The hotel staff gave the impression like "sorry bout your luck pall, now get your bags out of our hotel". You would think they might at least pretend to care a little bit. They messed up the bill and, well, that is to be expected. My saying is first time, everytime. I was happy that my reservations were messed up because I had the opportunity to stay at the Howard Johnson where they have excellent customer service and friendly staff. Here is the rest of the scoop-

Highlights:
Good location, mall just down the street
comfortable bed
good internet
breakfast

lowlights:
Awkward staff
breakfast is weird, one day they have pancakes, the next they don't, but have the syrup out. If you ask for pancakes, they bring out the entire kitchen staff and then the wait staff and try to figure out what your talking about. (I don't know the word for pancakes in spanish). Then they bill extra for pancakes because today they decided not to make them included with the breakfast like every other day...
Did I mention awkward staff?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
oordonez, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're sorry that your stay was interrupted so abruptly, we're going to take a look to see what happened with your reservation and also to see what was wrong with the staff. About the breakfast, we're going to look into why that happened and we'll most definitely fix this. Again, sorry for the inconveniences, your comments will be taken into consideration.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've stayed at two properties owned by the same company (Westin Camino Real being the other). They are substantially similar. The lobby and restaurants at the Westin are nicer, with a grand marble lobby and entry way. The Westin is also larger. However, for the money the Holiday Inn is just as nice, and, in fact, the rooms are substantially similar with the same stone treatment for counter tops, floor and shower surround.

I stayed with my sister, who has Priority Club status, so we were treated to the Executive Floor (16 and 17). The rooms are pretty much the same, but you get free bottled water, wood paneling in the hallway, and a dedicated, free, computer and printer to use.

The bedding at the Holiday Inn is great. The shower was ok, but had the same problem I run into across Guatemala, the shower head is designed for someone 5 ft tall, not 6, so the head hits me at eye level. The pressure left a little to be desired.

Room service was good and prompt. We ate breakfast at the hotel twice. Once at the buffet and once a la carte. Both were tasty and a reasonable price (by us standards). By comparison, the Sunday buffet at the Westin had long lines for the egg station and the omelettes were not as good. They did have a larger selection, however.

The front-desk staff speak perfect English, one with no accent whatsoever.

There is a new Hard Rock Cafe across the street, as well as a wine bar and two new "American" fast food places. Shakespear's Pub is catty-corner from the hotel, and a great local bar full of ex-pats.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise. Those not facing Reforma have even less noise, but a worse vie...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cnote1500

Dear guest, thank you for reviewing our hotel. We're glad that for the most part you enjoyed your stay. Being in the heart of zone 10, there are many places to enjoy really close to the hotel. About the shower heads, your comment will be taken into consideration and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Once again, thank you for reviewing our hotel and we hope to have you stay with us again sometime in the near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here from 3/18 until 4/13, the front desk was super nice and extra freindly. The diningroom food was pretty good. The hotel was in walking distance to many restaurants. Close to the airport, taxi service in front of hotel. Housekeeping was not to good, never had face rags in room, always had to call then when I did call they did not have any to bring me. This hotel was great I would stay here again and recommend a place to stay if you are visting Guatemala.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank wnbaaddict
oordonez, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for your review. We're glad your stay with us was for the most part very satisfying. We apologize for the not having enough face rags, we are working on that issue. Thank you once again and we hope you give us the privilege to serve you again in the near future.
Front office manager, Holiday Inn Guatemala

Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was my third stay at the Holiday Inn Guatemala. The stays have spanned a six year time frame. It is always nice to see that the hotel is constantly updating and making improvements to the hotel. The same cannot be said for many of the Holiday Inn's in the states. The staff is friendly and the hotel will help make you feel safe with security always near the door. The breakfast buffet is fantastic with tons of fresh fruit, made to order omlets and stuff local Guatemalan fare. I will stay here again when I return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor due to noise from local restuarants.
2  Thank Ryan K
oordonez, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Guatemala, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear guest:

On behalf of the management and staff of Holiday Inn Guatemala, we thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. As you mentioned we´re always making improvements to our property, pretty soon all of our rooms will be updated and ready!! Freshness in our fruits is always a priority with our buffet. We hope you give us the privilege to continue to serve you in the near future.

Thanks again!!!